The Student Room Group

how can I speak to HMRC

I started a new job recently, I am still employed at my old job so I do not have a P60... as a result I haven't been taken off emergency tax and I'm down a stupid amount of money now, which I desperately need as I'm now struggling to pay my rent... however whenever I speak to HMRC they just cut me off and tell me to call back? I have tried over and over again and it just keeps happening, I can't call when lines are less busy 'before 10am' as I arrive at work at quarter past 8...
Have you filled in a P46?
Original post by OU Student
Have you filled in a P46?

She shouldn't. :no:

Form P46 was retired almost two years ago. HMRC's starter checklist should be completed for new employees who don't have a form P45: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/paye-starter-checklist

Original post by doodle_333
I started a new job recently, I am still employed at my old job so I do not have a P60... as a result I haven't been taken off emergency tax and I'm down a stupid amount of money now, which I desperately need as I'm now struggling to pay my rent... however whenever I speak to HMRC they just cut me off and tell me to call back? I have tried over and over again and it just keeps happening, I can't call when lines are less busy 'before 10am' as I arrive at work at quarter past 8...

Read from here onwards: http://www.taxguideforstudents.org.uk/working/employed/how-do-i-check-my-coding-notice#emerg

This is part of the Tax Guide for Students from the Low Incomes Tax Reform Group, which is an excellent resource that I'd recommend you take a look over more fully.

Side note - your terminology is probably wrong here, as "emergency tax" *actually* means being taxed with the standard tax code (currently 1000L for most people), but on a non-cumulative basis. What I suspect that you have here is a "BR" or "0T" tax code, which assumes that you are entitled to no personal allowance against this source of income.
Reply 3
Original post by Illusionary
She shouldn't. :no:

Form P46 was retired almost two years ago. HMRC's starter checklist should be completed for new employees who don't have a form P45: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/paye-starter-checklist

Read from here onwards: http://www.taxguideforstudents.org.uk/working/employed/how-do-i-check-my-coding-notice#emerg

This is part of the Tax Guide for Students from the Low Incomes Tax Reform Group, which is an excellent resource that I'd recommend you take a look over more fully.

Side note - your terminology is probably wrong here, as "emergency tax" *actually* means being taxed with the standard tax code (currently 1000L for most people), but on a non-cumulative basis. What I suspect that you have here is a "BR" or "0T" tax code, which assumes that you are entitled to no personal allowance against this source of income.

my employer told me to speak to HMRC... can I not do that?

yeah it's one of those, I thought I basically just need to get my 10,000 allowance moved to this job (I've had two jobs before and that's all I had to do)
my employer told me to speak to HMRC... can I not do that?

yeah it's one of those, I thought I basically just need to get my 10,000 allowance moved to this job (I've had two jobs before and that's all I had to do)

There's no harm to doing so, but be aware that they may ask you to complete a starter checklist.

Is this your first (and only) job during this tax year (i.e., since 6 April 2014), or have you had other jobs previously?
Reply 5
There's no harm to doing so, but be aware that they may ask you to complete a starter checklist.

Is this your first (and only) job during this tax year (i.e., since 6 April 2014), or have you had other jobs previously?

since the tax year began I've been employed in 3 different jobs (I'm not an awful employee I've been working 2 at a time!)
if you have overpaid tax you can reclaim it in year - advice on how to do that here https://www.gov.uk/claim-tax-refund/overview

Probably easier to get the appropriate form and send it off rather than try to talk to them straight off. Once the form if there (send with at least proof of posting, getting a signature on delivery is useful) you can phone up and ask about progress on dealing with the form. It takes a few weeks.
since the tax year began I've been employed in 3 different jobs (I'm not an awful employee I've been working 2 at a time!)

Okay, so your situation isn't as straightforward as first appeared. Do you currently have any other jobs?

Assuming not, rather than completing the starter checklist, you should pass to your new employer the form P45 that your most recent past employer should have issued to you when you left - this should have all of the information that they need.
Reply 8
Okay, so your situation isn't as straightforward as first appeared. Do you currently have any other jobs?

Assuming not, rather than completing the starter checklist, you should pass to your new employer the form P45 that your most recent past employer should have issued to you when you left - this should have all of the information that they need.

yes, I'm currently employed in two roles
yes, I'm currently employed in two roles

Right - in that case, being taxed at the basic rate (currently 20%) on your second is what I'd expect to be happening where your employers are deducting income tax correctly - you only have a single personal allowance and it will by default be allocated in full to your first/'main' job.

It is, however, possible to arrange with HMRC for your allowance to be split between two (or more) jobs. You'll need to estimate how much income you expect to receive from each job over the full year and then speak with HMRC to arrange an appropriate split of your personal allocation to each job.

See here: http://www.taxguideforstudents.org.uk/files/multiple_jobs_factsheet_FINAL_2014.pdf
Right - in that case, being taxed at the basic rate (currently 20%) on your second is what I'd expect to be happening where your employers are deducting income tax correctly - you only have a single personal allowance and it will by default be allocated in full to your first/'main' job.

It is, however, possible to arrange with HMRC for your allowance to be split between two (or more) jobs. You'll need to estimate how much income you expect to receive from each job over the full year and then speak with HMRC to arrange an appropriate split of your personal allocation to each job.

See here: http://www.taxguideforstudents.org.uk/files/multiple_jobs_factsheet_FINAL_2014.pdf

yes, that's what I'm trying to do :frown: but I just can't get through on the phone :frown:

this is what I did when I got a second job last time, called them and asked them to change how my personal allowance was divided, it was done and my tax returned in my next paycheck... however this time the phone just keeps cutting me off
yes, that's what I'm trying to do :frown: but I just can't get through on the phone :frown:

this is what I did when I got a second job last time, called them and asked them to change how my personal allowance was divided, it was done and my tax returned in my next paycheck... however this time the phone just keeps cutting me off

All that I can suggest is that you try calling at a quieter time, I'm afraid.

Id carry on trying to call hmrc.
Find out the opening times, and try calling at different times. I think they are open on saturdays as well.
From experience best times to call HMRC are around 10am and 3pm, but it's January so unfortunately it's going to be constantly busy and it'll only get worse in the run up to the 31st

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending