The Student Room Group

About "NEW" GCSE English speaking & listening grade for entering uni.

Can someone help me please!!
I just got my GCSE certificate from AQA, and I saw there was a little column of words saying: Listening & speaking grade 3. (my overall GCSE English mark is B)

it made me wonder: i have never done any sort of listening & speaking test for GCSE English (I am pretty sure!), but it gave me a grade 3 at last.

Okay, what worries me is I am going to uni next year (of course, with my poor GCSEs), but all the unis I am considering need GCSE English & Maths at grade B or above.
The thing is I don't know if they will state to say they require higher grade in GCSE ENglish- speaking & listening, or they still just say grade B or above. (If they do state they want some particular grade for this speaking & listening part, I just gonna screw up.)

PLEASE, can anyone tell (from the teacher,tutor, headteacher or unis...) if the uni will state particularly what grade they want for speaking and listening of GCSE English, or they will just want the general B.

Or this speaking & listening grade is just not a big deal, as long as you have a grade.

Cross my finger they don't want any sort of particular grade for speaking & listening....

(because if next year, they are gonna say they need a particular grade for GCSE English speaking, no matter how hard I try in my A-level, it just means nothing...)

Thank you!! you can tell me the truth (that's fine, i can bare it.)

(PS: I don't know: if grade 5 in s&l can be counted as A, 4-B, 3-C (which I failed to achieve B...) or grade 5-A* 4-A 3-B)
Original post by joshgofe
Can someone help me please!!
I just got my GCSE certificate from AQA, and I saw there was a little column of words saying: Listening & speaking grade 3. (my overall GCSE English mark is B)

it made me wonder: i have never done any sort of listening & speaking test for GCSE English (I am pretty sure!), but it gave me a grade 3 at last.

Okay, what worries me is I am going to uni next year (of course, with my poor GCSEs), but all the unis I am considering need GCSE English & Maths at grade B or above.
The thing is I don't know if they will state to say they require higher grade in GCSE ENglish- speaking & listening, or they still just say grade B or above. (If they do state they want some particular grade for this speaking & listening part, I just gonna screw up.)

PLEASE, can anyone tell (from the teacher,tutor, headteacher or unis...) if the uni will state particularly what grade they want for speaking and listening of GCSE English, or they will just want the general B.

Or this speaking & listening grade is just not a big deal, as long as you have a grade.

Cross my finger they don't want any sort of particular grade for speaking & listening....

(because if next year, they are gonna say they need a particular grade for GCSE English speaking, no matter how hard I try in my A-level, it just means nothing...)

Thank you!! you can tell me the truth (that's fine, i can bare it.)

(PS: I don't know: if grade 5 in s&l can be counted as A, 4-B, 3-C (which I failed to achieve B...) or grade 5-A* 4-A 3-B)

The speaking and listening marks were taken out of the exam last year half way through the course and made into an add-on. Before that, it used to make up part of the English grade, but the government decided to remove it. The English language grade is now the letter grade you got, a B. Universities are not asking for any speaking and listening grades to my knowledge. (Yours is the first year to be affected.) When a university asks for a B, you have it, so don't worry.

(I'm an English teacher.)
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
The speaking and listening marks were taken out of the exam last year half way through the course and made into an add-on. Before that, it used to make up part of the English grade, but the government decided to remove it. The English language grade is now the letter grade you got, a B. Universities are not asking for any speaking and listening grades to my knowledge. (Yours is the first year to be affected.) When a university asks for a B, you have it, so don't worry.

(I'm an English teacher.)

Thx so much!
Hope they won't ask for it.
"First year to be affected" is always tricky, because unis can adjust their requirements and we have no idea about how it's gonna change...
Thx so much!
Hope they won't ask for it.
"First year to be affected" is always tricky, because unis can adjust their requirements and we have no idea about how it's gonna change...

Yes, but I am pretty certain they won't. The government removing it from the rest of the exam and not letting it count for anything means that universities would have to be really convinced the government was wrong to start asking for it as an extra, and I don't think they feel that way. You'll be fine.
Reply 4
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Yes, but I am pretty certain they won't. The government removing it from the rest of the exam and not letting it count for anything means that universities would have to be really convinced the government was wrong to start asking for it as an extra, and I don't think they feel that way. You'll be fine.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: haha you made me laugh!!
Thank you so much for your patient answer!!
Wish me luck !~~
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: haha you made me laugh!!
Thank you so much for your patient answer!!
Wish me luck !~~

I will certainly do so. But you'll be fine anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending