The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emem2011
Ah I was WJEC, what topic are you looking at just now? I loved looking at all of the moral issues, it was so fascinating :smile:

Your work experience sounds amazing! I truly underestimated how difficult it would be to get things organised. I don't know if this is offered near you, but a few weeks ago I was a mock patient for the medicial students in my local university, before the OSCE examinations. That was amazing, I learned so much from it and it counts as experience. You could maybe look in to whether it is offered near you :smile:

Actually no, I'm in a state high school in a deprived area so my grades came as quite a shock to everyone haha! Most people assume I'm from a private school though, which is actually pretty funny! :biggrin: what about you, are you a private or high school student?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We're looking at The Moral Argument :smile:

Wow that sounds so amazing! That'd be great.

You must be so clever to have achieved those in a state school, let alone in a deprived area. Well done :biggrin: I'm state educated too :smile:
Original post by Chlorophile
That's true. Well the Geography course looks like a lot of fun too, I just couldn't cope with having to study people :smile:

This made me laugh so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by baldwel
We're looking at The Moral Argument :smile:

Wow that sounds so amazing! That'd be great.

You must be so clever to have achieved those in a state school, let alone in a deprived area. Well done :biggrin: I'm state educated too :smile:

I appreciate there is a good sentiment behind it - but I find this so patronising :lol:
Original post by Ibac
I have chosen it because I think it's the right faculty to me. They are all on the same levels(even if maybe I prefer Philosophy) and I think that in my future I could easily change my plans.
I'm a little bit concerned about being rejected by Oxford, are the other uni courses good as well?
And what about you?

I also, think PPE is right for me, because it offers a very broad knowledge and a "whole" view of how the world works. I prefer Politics and Philosophy before Economics, but I don't want to skip that part, because I think it is a very important part :wink: Because the course is so broad I have many different options after graduating, which is great! I have looked into LSE and KCL. I have heard that Durham, Manchester and UCL should be good too.
Original post by Lucilou101
I appreciate there is a good sentiment behind it - but I find this so patronising :lol:

Sorry I read it back and it does. It wasn't intended in that manner.:ashamed2: I didn't mean you can't achieve if you're from a deprived area. I just meant it's harder to do well if your school has limited resources so can't employ high quality teachers, and hence you have to be more intelligent to do well then you would in a private school:colondollar:
Original post by baldwel
Sorry I read it back and it does. It wasn't intended in that manner.:ashamed2: I didn't mean you can't achieve if you're from a deprived area. I just meant it's harder to do well if your school has limited resources so can't employ high quality teachers, and hence you have to be more intelligent to do well then you would in a private school:colondollar:

I know what you meant, I don't think it was bad. What you said was true, being in a deprived area means less chances (hence my struggle with work experience), although I guess if you work anything is possible :smile: That's what I found out anyway haha, getting 14A*s was not something I had anticipated happening last year!

What universities (other than Oxford) are you thinking of?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know what you meant, I don't think it was bad. What you said was true, being in a deprived area means less chances (hence my struggle with work experience), although I guess if you work anything is possible :smile: That's what I found out anyway haha, getting 14A*s was not something I had anticipated happening last year!

What universities (other than Oxford) are you thinking of?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that's okay then :smile:

I like the look of Imperial but for some reason it puts me off that there would only be science and maths students there. Also queens belfast and KCL :smile: You?
Original post by baldwel
Ah that's okay then :smile:

I like the look of Imperial but for some reason it puts me off that there would only be science and maths students there. Also queens belfast and KCL :smile: You?

That's actually true, hadn't thought about that properly for Imperial!

I'm thinking of Glasgow, Leeds and possibly UCL or Bristol :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apply!! You get 5 choices and in the end you only get to go to one so you may as well try!
Any other hopeful Oxford medics?
I'd love to apply to Oxford honestly, not sure if I'd get accepted but it's worth a shot!

GCSEs: 14A*s
AS-Levels: Religious Studies (already completed AS Level got an A :smile: ), Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English. Hoping to continue all 4 on to A2������
Course: Medicine
College: I can't decide between Christ Church and St John's, both look amazing!

Hope I can talk to some of you other hopeful medicine applicants, or just any Oxford applicants in general :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello I'm a hopeful medic looking to apply to Oxford too!
My stats are: 10A*s at GCSE, currently doing Bio, Chem, Physics and Maths at AS
Haven't started looking into colleges yet!
What other unis are you looking at? I'm thinking Imperial, QMUL and Kings probably

Also have you/when will you start UKCAT practice?!?
Anyone looking into maths or maybe economics ?

GCSE grades: 10 A*, A in add maths (FSMQ) and an A in english language
A-Levels: Maths and Further Maths (Pre U), Economics , History and French
Course: possibly maths and philosophy ?
College: st Annes
Reply 171
Original post by Oakflame
I also, think PPE is right for me, because it offers a very broad knowledge and a "whole" view of how the world works. I prefer Politics and Philosophy before Economics, but I don't want to skip that part, because I think it is a very important part :wink: Because the course is so broad I have many different options after graduating, which is great! I have looked into LSE and KCL. I have heard that Durham, Manchester and UCL should be good too.

Yeah, I want to apply for Oxford,Lse,Ucl,kcl and Warwick!
Original post by Ibac
Yeah, I want to apply for Oxford,Lse,Ucl,kcl and Warwick!

Sounds good :smile: I am considering the ones I wrote, and Warwick, which I forgot about :colondollar: Not sure yet though!
How far has everyone got with their choices and applications? Anyone started on the personal statement yet?
I'm looking into economics and management :tongue:
How far has everyone got with their choices and applications? Anyone started on the personal statement yet?

Bit early for that, isn't it?! I started mine barely a month before the deadline.
Reply 176
Sounds good :smile: I am considering the ones I wrote, and Warwick, which I forgot about :colondollar: Not sure yet though!

What extra activities did you do?
Original post by Chlorophile
Bit early for that, isn't it?! I started mine barely a month before the deadline.

Yh it's way too early to start ps. ..
Hi!
GCSE grades: (most were iGCSEs) 7A* 2A 1B (Drama :frown:( ) and an A* in Living Texts, lol
A-Levels: French, Latin, Ancient Greek, Maths (probably to AS)
Course: Classics and French
College: Brasenose? Not sure
Original post by Edminzodo
This made me laugh so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha me too :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending