The Student Room Group

Why do nice guys/nice girls finish last?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lucaf
I always take these threads a little insulting as it implies as I have a girlfriend I must be a dick...

but on topic, being "nice" is nothing as of itself. If the best you have to offer is that you are not a dick then why should anyone want you? Be nice, but be interesting.

You're scum of the earth, obviously.

But on topic, you're right.
Original post by marco14196
My mistake with this girl was that I acted too late(I tried asking her out in August) as she was about to start at Nottingham uni whilst I was starting at Manchester uni and she didn't feel the same way as a result, I was too slow because I was too scared(I had a severe confidence problem because of ******* bullying me in secondary school, bad times for me) to act on my feeling and approach her earlier. Yes we did talk(I was getting to know her from December last year-2013) but I didn't allude to anything. I still talk to her occasionally now but I lost my chance and it pains me that I failed to draw her attention. Don't make the mistake I made.

Is it actually too late though? How do you know it's all over? I'm trying to act on my feelings, but you know how difficult it can be, with confidence issues, feeling like you're not good enough for them! We've all been there!
Original post by Jean Luc Picard
Is it actually too late though? How do you know it's all over? I'm trying to act on my feelings, but you know how difficult it can be, with confidence issues, feeling like you're not good enough for them! We've all been there!

That's actually funny, my best friend said just that, that there may yet be hope for that. I don't know, I've thought about it but where the hell would I ever start from. I don't know really. I don't know if she cares about the age gap(I'm 18, she's 22) but it may just be that she doesn't like me in that way, just in a friendly capacity. Oh well
Nice guys finish last but it's also lonely at the top ....
Reply 84
Original post by Anonymous
Why do guys who have nice personalities never get the girl. Guys who are kind, caring, gentle, accept rejection politely and that are just nice to everyone, always finish last? In my college the girls seem to prefer the dickheads.
I think guys are just as bad too. They seem to prefer the bitches in my college. One of my friends who is a nice girl got rejected recently and then the guy went for a bitch, so that's why I created this thread. Any ideas?

A lot of the time guys who call themselves "nice" are actually just making excuses for why girls should date them, so they can complain when a girl rejects them. As for girls, I'm not sure if the same applies as guys, but I *think* that in general (like I'm saying, these are really sweeping statements are there are always going to be people who are not like what I'm about to say) boys seem to go for looks over personality. (again, huge generalisations) Hell, it's even the same with girls. Many of us say that "personality is all that matters" but really many of us mean "personality is very important but they can't be bad looking either".

Obviously very much generalising. But then again I think your statements are generalisations too ^^ because I know plenty of people who date "nice" people.

In my personal opinion, the whole phrase "nice guys finish last" is just kind of an excuse for the boy to make the girl seem like the bad person when she really just rejected him because she doesn't like him.
Reply 85
Original post by trustmeimlying1
tsk...kinda like..yeh you know it

Ireland really is a unique place :tongue:.
That's actually funny, my best friend said just that, that there may yet be hope for that. I don't know, I've thought about it but where the hell would I ever start from. I don't know really. I don't know if she cares about the age gap(I'm 18, she's 22) but it may just be that she doesn't like me in that way, just in a friendly capacity. Oh well

Age gap can be a problem with some girls, especially with a young man, however its not always an issue so don't worry about that! It might be worth getting to know her again, try starting more substanial texting converstations and see where you stand. As someone who also attend University of Nottingham, I know the boys here can be bold, but there are quite a few nice guys as well. Don't give up just yet, give it another go and see where it leads!
Age gap can be a problem with some girls, especially with a young man, however its not always an issue so don't worry about that! It might be worth getting to know her again, try starting more substanial texting converstations and see where you stand. As someone who also attend University of Nottingham, I know the boys here can be bold, but there are quite a few nice guys as well. Don't give up just yet, give it another go and see where it leads!

What do you study at Nottingham and what year. Its a funny coincidence you're at the same uni as her lol
Original post by lucaf
I always take these threads a little insulting as it implies as I have a girlfriend I must be a dick...

but on topic, being "nice" is nothing as of itself. If the best you have to offer is that you are not a dick then why should anyone want you? Be nice, but be interesting.
I think a better question would have been how do some douchebags/bitches manage to get girls/guys? :tongue:
What do you study at Nottingham and what year. Its a funny coincidence you're at the same uni as her lol

I'm a second year, Geographer!
Reply 90
Original post by Multitalented me
I think a better question would have been how do some douchebags/bitches manage to get girls/guys? :tongue:

They probably ask :tongue: too often have "nice guys" (myself included) complained about not getting the girl while at the same time not actually doing anything in order to get the girl :colondollar:
I'm a second year, Geographer!

Cool, I did Geography at A level as well as Biology and Chemistry(where I met this girl). I know that she's studying Pharmacy as she told me that herself months back
Cool, I did Geography at A level as well as Biology and Chemistry(where I met this girl). I know that she's studying Pharmacy as she told me that herself months back

I did Chemistry at A Level as well, along with Physics, Geography and English Lit! I do know some Pharmacy people, the girls are rather attractive I must admit. But I don't see any problem at the moment which should stop you pursuing this girl! I know guys like us should try and get the girls we like and stop settling for second best and always losing out!
I did Chemistry at A Level as well, along with Physics, Geography and English Lit! I do know some Pharmacy people, the girls are rather attractive I must admit. But I don't see any problem at the moment which should stop you pursuing this girl! I know guys like us should try and get the girls we like and stop settling for second best and always losing out!

It would be absolutely hilarious if you have seen her, she's absolutely attractive. Gosh I'm thinking too much
It would be absolutely hilarious if you have seen her, she's absolutely attractive. Gosh I'm thinking too much

Haha, it would be weird! Don't think about it too much, drop her text, ask her how she is and take it from there!
Original post by lucaf
They probably ask :tongue: too often have "nice guys" (myself included) complained about not getting the girl while at the same time not actually doing anything in order to get the girl :colondollar:
Well then they are not quite nice guys, actual nice guys are nice because it's what a decent human being should be like not because they have an ulterior motive, yes be nice to girls you're trying to pursue but just don't be so expectant even if you have made an effort (some guys fall into this trap) & then they complain when they just have to take it on the chin if they get rejected, evaluate themselves & see what they can improve :smile:

EDIT: At least you are self-aware :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Haha, it would be weird! Don't think about it too much, drop her text, ask her how she is and take it from there!

I might give it a try. Can't actually text her, only talk over facebook
I might give it a try. Can't actually text her, only talk over facebook

Ask for her number, it would be a good first step!
animal nature, the one who rules he kingdom is the super alpha confident lion who females can feel safe with and feel secure with, because thats one of the key things women want right? security. she aint gonna go with no nice guy beta who she has to mother all the time
Original post by lou 22
Ireland really is a unique place :tongue:.

:biggrin:feck yeh yeh brummie!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending