The Student Room Group

If someone offered you a £250k or a first class Oxbridge degree?

Poll

£250k or Oxbridge degree

Which would you take and why?

The degree without any associated costs.

My take on it:

ANYONE can get £250k. There are spoilt, useless people who inherit that money and more.

To get that degree either you're really smart or ridiculously well-connected to the point where you're talking about a few individuals on the planet (buy the degree and the class).

So I don't think about it in terms what the money or degree could get me, but what it represents.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The 250k without a shadow of a doubt. You'd have to be crazy not to take it.
Reply 2
I already have a job for after university so I'd take the money...
The 250k - I can hopefully still get into a decent Russell group uni and I won't have to worry about student debt.
Money 250k can buy you a couple of houses in manchester/Liverpool that you can sell and make profit on.

A first class Oxbridge degree guarantees nothing unless you have the connections capable of applying that degree. Take it this way if you got into investment banking you'll be on 40-50k in your first year and then say 10k bonuses(not sure on bonuses), how long would it take for you to get 250k on that salary?

By that time you could have sold your houses and say you got a 10k profit on each house you sell and you sell a house at the rate of once a couple of months you'd be on 60k a year from house profits? Then you can always buy more expensive houses in london and make even more profit from that.
Reply 5
Pfff money duh.
I can do very well with a normal degree don't need shiny Oxbridge fairy dust on it.
Original post by SiminaM
Pfff money duh.
I can do very well with a normal degree don't need shiny Oxbridge fairy dust on it.

But then I can be in with the cool kids on TSR who went Cambridge.

Also networking :smile:
Original post by jam277
Money 250k can buy you a couple of houses in manchester/Liverpool that you can sell and make profit on.

A first class Oxbridge degree guarantees nothing unless you have the connections capable of applying that degree. Take it this way if you got into investment banking you'll be on 40-50k in your first year and then say 10k bonuses(not sure on bonuses), how long would it take for you to get 250k on that salary?

By that time you could have sold your houses and say you got a 10k profit on each house you sell and you sell a house at the rate of once a couple of months you'd be on 60k a year from house profits? Then you can always buy more expensive houses in london and make even more profit from that.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mdg45gdhk/kunal-shah-managing-director-goldman-sachs-29/

So this guy graduated from Oxbridge at 21. In six years he's an MD at Goldman - thats over a £1m per year easily. Along the way he's been earning over £250k for at least 3 of those years. He's also Indian and Goldman isn't the NHS.

Not saying this is the norm but its not as straight-forward as your story.
(edited 9 years ago)
Take the mulla.
So I've basically proved that a first class Oxbridge degree is worth less than £250k.
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
But then I can be in with the cool kids on TSR who went Cambridge.

Also networking :smile:

Don't be irrational and emotional dude just take the fu**ing money. There are cool kids at Imperial and LSE too and they not poshy.
Original post by Adipoptosis
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mdg45gdhk/kunal-shah-managing-director-goldman-sachs-29/

So this guy graduated from Oxbridge at 21. In six years he's an MD at Goldman - thats over a £1m per year easily. He's also Indian and Goldman isn't the NHS.

I said you need connections, also you need to work really hard.

Selling house property in this market means you're going to get shedloads of profit from the houses which is an easier way of making money. Problem is nobody really is rich or patient enough to buy loads of properties and sell for profit otherwise everybody would be doing that.

I'd take an oxbridge first instead of 80k though but 250k hell naw.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Hmmm
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lucius
The first in itself is valueless in the jobs market if you don't actually have the soft-skills and intellect which it would be indicative of: I'd say take the money (and that's as an Oxford grad).

Yeah I think thats reading too much into the question. I am sure you could argue that someone with 250k who has no idea how to invest it devalues the money too etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Money, for sure. You could get a very good degree elsewhere and not have to worry about budgeting/student finance etc. Sounds good to me.
Reply 15
Definitely the money. I'd take it if it was a quarter of the amount you're offering.

So this guy graduated from Oxbridge at 21. In six years he's an MD at Goldman - thats over a £1m per year easily. Along the way he's been earning over £250k for at least 3 of those years. He's also Indian and Goldman isn't the NHS.

hahahaha million per year? oh dear :smile:

Not to mention he would still be the same person without the Oxbridge degree...he would still be a rockstar now
Which would you take and why?

The degree without any associated costs.

The money, no question. If you don't have the brains for a first class Oxbridge degree, you won't be likely to have the brains for the types of jobs the degree that might lead you to.

But the money is raw potential, right there. 250K is the rational choice.
Original post by SarcasticMel
hahahaha million per year? oh dear :smile:

Not to mention he would still be the same person without the Oxbridge degree...he would still be a rockstar now

Surely a Goldman MD earns that much?!
Yeah I think thats reading too much into the question. I am sure you could argue that someone with 250k who has no idea how to invest it devalues the money too etc.

Id take the money too but thats only because I already have that very degree.

As a sixth-former though, id have taken he degree any day. Its worth so much more to my life than that amount of money.

Crazy. Why would you hold a 1st degree in lets say Physics if you know nothing about that? You would not be able to work in that field anyway.

Latest