The Student Room Group

Have the Charlie Hebdo terrorists won?

Scroll to see replies

if their aim was to take human rights away from people in the West then they are going to succeed in a big way like most terrorists do.

gotta love authoritarian governments though, I mean saying you love freedom then voting for a centre right party that wants to take it away make you so rebel.
Mossad have succeeded in killing a few goy, further victimising the Jewish people and creating a lot of anti-Muslim hatred and even Muslim self hatred.
I'm not sure why non-Muslims are so keen on trying to piss Muslims off :lol: Have westerners ever considered that they invite people to hate them?
Original post by Fernand126
We can't blame the journalists, however. Who is supposed to protect the citizen? The government. We need better security by more efficient immigration programs and more investment into the police/armed forces, blah blah blah, you know the drill. I just don't think the men at the media should be blamed for protecting their families and themselves.

And that's why we need a sensible level of mass surveillance. I'm not saying that current mass surveillance schemes are the best but if you want national security then surveillance is the only way to stop prospective terrorists.
A German newspaper showed some off the cartoons, and someone tried to burn down their office.

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/panorama/brandanschlag-auf-hamburger-morgenpost-staatsschutz-uebernimmt-ermittlungen-1.2298646
Original post by Zamestaneh
I'm not sure why non-Muslims are so keen on trying to piss Muslims off :lol: Have westerners ever considered that they invite people to hate them?

As I said to you in the other thread, you would be pissed off whether we tried or not. It's in your nature. It's what makes us dislike you :smile:

Anyway, if you hate the west so much, what are you doing here?
Original post by SarcasticMel
As I said to you in the other thread, you would be pissed off whether we tried or not. It's in your nature. It's what makes us dislike you :smile:

Anyway, if you hate the west so much, what are you doing here?

If you didn't try to piss us off, I'm fairly certain we wouldn't be pissed off with you - I think that's the general law of human nature, you know, to get annoyed at things that are purposefully done to annoy you.

I'm here because my country was destroyed by the empire and so I've had to stay here to suck this place for what it's worth :rolleyes:
If you didn't try to piss us off, I'm fairly certain we wouldn't be pissed off with you - I think that's the general law of human nature, you know, to get annoyed at things that are purposefully done to annoy you.

I'm here because my country was destroyed by the empire and so I've had to stay here to suck this place for what it's worth :rolleyes:

I believe whatever country you may be from, there are still people living there. So you know, bye :wavey:

Unless of course you don't like that IS **** either, do you?
Original post by SarcasticMel
I believe whatever country you may be from, there are still people living there. So you know, bye :wavey:

Unless of course you don't like that IS **** either, do you?

As I said, I'm claiming from this system my inheritance :smile:

Lol Zam. Dats it mane. Preach.
As I said, I'm claiming from this system my inheritance :smile:

I'm sure you are.
I think most people are being slightly narrow minded. I was away all weekend when this was happening, but I kept an eye on the news. What was being hammered in to us on the BBC and all the interviews, particularly by Cameron and Johnson was this: I have changed my views on personal freedom now, if spying in all facets of life on all people in the country will prevent another attack.

The terrorists didn't win, they aided the state and gave them the leg-up they needed to encourage everyone to cave in to erode more of your rights. Peter Hitchens called it a pro-government march, and he's not wrong. http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2015/01/the-sinister-screeching-mob-who-want-to-kill-free-speech-and-no-i-dont-mean-the-islamist-terrorists-.html
Original post by scrotgrot
No they haven't won. As far as I can see there haven't been general anti-Muslim reprisals and the response has been solidarity between Muslims and white Europeans against terrorism. The second they shot that Ahmed chap in cold blood it was over on that score.

The French political conversation may be pretty racist and unforgiving on the multiculturalism front but at the end of the day the silent majority is shamelessly stout about national unity in the face of anti-Muslim rabble-rousing as much as Islamist terrorism.

Lol, the Western media Marxist? What have you been smoking.

Yeah that's something to celebrate isn't it, very grown up of you...

If you respond like it's a war the terrorists have won. They're criminals and nothing more and should be apprehended and/or shot without making a big song and dance about it.

tell me you master gun slinger, how do you apprehend someone who is shooting at you and is hell bent on killing you?

The liberal coward style wont work there
Why not expel Muslims? cos it's racism? Lmao so what. Are you going to call Muslims racist when they turn your White children into Islamic sex slaves? are you going to call Muslims racist when they behead you?**** Islam and the Prophet Muhammed.
Original post by ESPORTIVA
tell me you master gun slinger, how do you apprehend someone who is shooting at you and is hell bent on killing you?

The liberal coward style wont work there

As I said, shot without making a big song and dance about it. This is not a war. Flag-waving and bravado do not bravery make.
Looking at the queues of people around the world to buy the magazine, and the fact that the magazine have had to reprint it and then it sold out again, I would say that proves they most certainly have not won.
Original post by Lady Comstock
Their aim, or at least a primary aim, was to scare journalists into refraining from publishing images of Muhammad, or indeed blasphemous content. It was a case of: "see what happens if you publish this stuff".

Not one mainstream British publication published the images (overtly) in solidarity with Charlie Hebdo. The Guardian admitted that it does not want to publish the images full stop.

And I bet journalists will now be even more cautious about publishing such images in future.

I appreciate that people don't want to put their lives at risk, but it is a huge shame that it's possible that the terrorists' goal was achieved. Had all publications published the images, fanatics would not have enough resources to target each publisher.

These Jihadist fools are being tormented by Shaitan for eternity. A typical day in Jahannam would involve flames that crackle and roar; fierce, boiling waters, scorching wind, and black smoke, roaring and boiling as if it would burst with rage. Its inhabitants sigh and wail, wretched, their scorched skins are constantly exchanged for new ones so that they can taste the torment anew, drink festering water and though death appears on all sides they cannot die, are linked together in chains of 70 cubits, wearing pitch for clothing and fire on their faces, have boiling water that will be poured over their heads, melting their insides as well as their skins, and hooks of iron to drag them back should they try to escape.

tl;dr they have lost big style
Well, the British Press don't generally post images of the prophet anyway, so nothing has changed there. The one company they directly targeted went right ahead and posted controversial images like it always does, so nothing changed there either. Except Charlie Hebdo now have much more publicity and selling power! So...
Original post by scrotgrot
As I said, shot without making a big song and dance about it. This is not a war. Flag-waving and bravado do not bravery make.

could it go both ways? not making a big deal about the fact the terrorists shot and killed 12 people. i mean its the same thing right?

who cares if 12 people or more got killed..........we shouldnt make a big song and dance about it :biggrin:
Original post by ESPORTIVA
could it go both ways? not making a big deal about the fact the terrorists shot and killed 12 people. i mean its the same thing right?

who cares if 12 people or more got killed..........we shouldnt make a big song and dance about it :biggrin:

No, we shouldn't: they're not the state's to mourn, that's a job for their families.

The state's job is to subdue, arrest and charge the people who did it.

If, due to the fact that the criminals are armed and dangerous, the "subdue" stage must escalate into killing, so be it. But it is not an act of war to be celebrated with triumphalism, it's an act which a free and fair justice system performs dispassionately, and as a last resort.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending