The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Adipoptosis
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mdg45gdhk/kunal-shah-managing-director-goldman-sachs-29/

So this guy graduated from Oxbridge at 21. In six years he's an MD at Goldman - thats over a £1m per year easily. Along the way he's been earning over £250k for at least 3 of those years. He's also Indian and Goldman isn't the NHS.

Not saying this is the norm but its not as straight-forward as your story.

So you pick an extreme outlier and use that as your argument? the Average Oxbridge person doesn't make it into GS let alone to MD. Almost like me saying obvs take the 250k and invest it into your startup and be the next Alan Sugar/ Mark Zuckerberg/ whoever and make the MD look like a poor person...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sun_Bear
So you pick an extreme outlier and use that as your argument? the Average Oxbridge person doesn't make it into GS let alone to MD. Almost like me saying obvs take the 250k and invest it into your startup and be the next Alan Sugar/ Mark Zuckerberg/ whoever and make the MD look like a poor person...

No but thats not an "extreme outlier". He's done really well but I know a few people who have made it to really good city jobs myself. And they will be making £250k per year 4-5 years after graduating. The entrepreneurs are extreme outliers.

The average first class oxbridge degree holder usually gets a decent job.

Besides my standpoint on this is nothing to do with what each of the two can 'get you'. Its more about what is worth more to you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Money. No student debt, it'd give me a great head start with research and I'd still have a chance for a first.
No but thats not an "extreme outlier". He's done really well but I know a few people who have made it to really good city jobs myself. And they will be making £250k per year 4-5 years after graduating. The entrepreneurs are extreme outliers.

Ok so lets break this down... 1. GS receives many thousands of applications and so getting into the company is extremely difficult. 2. Getting to be MD at all in your whole career is extremely unlikely as well... I think i remember some stats on WSO saying they expect 1/2 analysts in each year to eventually become MD. 3. You said he became MD in 6 years. Ie. GS's youngest MD... being only 27 at the time with average being about mid-late thirties. How is that not an extreme outlier???
(edited 9 years ago)
Which would you take and why?

The degree without any associated costs.

My take on it:

ANYONE can get £250k. There are spoilt, useless people who inherit that money and more.

To get that degree either you're really smart or ridiculously well-connected to the point where you're talking about a few individuals on the planet (buy the degree and the class).

So I don't think about it in terms what the money or degree could get me, but what it represents.

The degree. No amount of money can compare to studying at Oxbridge for 3-4 years. Sad that it won't change anything though. All of my dreams are crushed.
Ok so lets break this down... 1. GS receives many thousands of applications and so getting into the company is extremely difficult. 2. Getting to be MD at all in your whole career is extremely unlikely as well... I think i remember some stats on WSO saying they expect 1/2 analysts in each year to eventually become MD. 3. You said he became MD in 6 years. Ie. GS's youngest MD... being only 27 at the time with average being about mid-late thirties. How is that not an extreme outlier???

Because you're talking as if this is the only route to making a lot of money after leaving with a first class degree from Oxbridge. There are other investment banks, there's hedge funds, there's so many ways. And you don't need to be an MD by the age of 27 to be earning nearly £250k by 27 either.

The proof really is the fact that Alan Sugar and Mark Zuckerburg are extremely well known and that's because their story is so extreme. This guy was in some forbes article a couple of times.
I'd take the money. I don't need a degree from Oxbridge to live a fulfilling life!
Because you're talking as if this is the only route to making a lot of money after leaving with a first class degree from Oxbridge. There are other investment banks, there's hedge funds, there's so many ways. And you don't need to be an MD by the age of 27 to be earning nearly £250k by 27 either.

The proof really is the fact that Alan Sugar and Mark Zuckerburg are extremely well known and that's because their story is so extreme. This guy was in some forbes article a couple of times.

Oh btw i would rather LSE Econ (3 years) + 250k than oxbridge (4 years) and no 250k but hey ho.
Yeah I'll take the money thanks :smile:
With 250k, I could buy an oxbridge degree...
Original post by Dani California
With 250k, I could buy an oxbridge degree...

Perhaps. But you can't buy the first class.

Thats the bit that really counts.
Perhaps. But you can't buy the first class.

Thats the bit that really counts.

I could probably afford to hire someone real smart to pretend to be me though, and sit the exam on my behalf. :lol:

In reality, the money would give you an easy life so you could focus on your degree.
Definitely the money!
Reply 53

You know mark zuckerburg went to Harvard which is sort of the equivalent of Oxbridge in the US. And although he didn't complete his degree, he still got in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beeen1
You know mark zuckerburg went to Harvard which is sort of the equivalent of Oxbridge in the US. And although he didn't complete his degree, he still got in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup I knew that! :wink:
So basically this is OPs way of saying that his first at Oxbridge is worth more than 250k to him :rolleyes:

Despite the question clearly stating if somebody offered me a first at Oxbridge or 250k. What the money represents is a better life, something that is not guaranteed even with an Oxbridge degree, but is almost guaranteed with 250k.
Oh btw i would rather LSE Econ (3 years) + 250k than oxbridge (4 years) and no 250k but hey ho.

Yeah you'd just go to any good russell group university that isn't oxbridge.

OP is just flaunting his first at Oxbridge and using this as a veil.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277
So basically this is OPs way of saying that his first at Oxbridge is worth more than 250k to him :rolleyes:

Despite the question clearly stating if somebody offered me a first at Oxbridge or 250k. What the money represents is a better life, something that is not guaranteed even with an Oxbridge degree, but is almost guaranteed with 250k.

No because it doesn't say that I have a first from Oxbridge in my original post. Nor do I have any "academic info". So you're totally wrong about that being the point of the thread. I think you just have a chip on your shoulder.
(edited 9 years ago)
The money. You'd get found out have your fake degree without the real knowledge from it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No because it doesn't say that I have a first from Oxbridge in my original post. Nor do I have any "academic info". So you're totally wrong about that being the point of the thread. I think you just have a chip on your shoulder.

Yeah I think thats reading too much into the question. I am sure you could argue that someone with 250k who has no idea how to invest it devalues the money too etc.

Id take the money too but thats only because I already have that very degree.

As a sixth-former though, id have taken he degree any day. Its worth so much more to my life than that amount of money.

You got quoted before hand and subsequently edited the post that Juichiro quoted.

When you edit your statements realise the quote actually has that original comment.

Gg bro.
Original post by Juichiro
Crazy. Why would you hold a 1st degree in lets say Physics if you know nothing about that? You would not be able to work in that field anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277
You got quoted before hand and subsequently edited the post that Juichiro quoted.

When you edit your statements realise the quote actually has that original comment.

Gg bro.

Yeah so if it has come to the point where you've having to support your argument by going through edits of my secondary posts, then how can the whole point of my thread be about showing off about my degree?

Thats just completely moronic, think whatever you want.

Latest

Trending

Trending