The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yaz97
It is odd that different people have received different information, although I suppose it depends on your course, offer type and college as to what information they give (seeing as the colleges operate independently). What's your offer for and at which college? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Has anyone asked their college for feedback on their application? I'd like to but I'm not sure what to say in the email (just "how did I do?" or something more formal?) and how much feedback they'll actually give me. Would appreciate any help from someone who's already enquired.

A conditional offer for Philosophy and Theology from Regent's Park :smile: You? And to your second one, I want to ask for feedback but I also have no idea how, because I feel like it would be awkward to ask for feedback having got in because it's like asking for an ego boost :tongue:
Reply 521
Original post by Naomi12
A conditional offer for Philosophy and Theology from Regent's Park :smile: You? And to your second one, I want to ask for feedback but I also have no idea how, because I feel like it would be awkward to ask for feedback having got in because it's like asking for an ego boost :tongue:

Sounds interesting! What's the offer? I have an open offer for psychology (A*AA), underwritten by Brasenose :smile: yeah I thought that too at first but then I thought they wouldn't offer feedback if they thought people were asking just for the ego boost... I can imagine loooads of people ask, they must be used to it! It's natural to wonder where you did well and where you could improve :smile:
Original post by Yaz97
Sounds interesting! What's the offer? I have an open offer for psychology (A*AA), underwritten by Brasenose :smile: yeah I thought that too at first but then I thought they wouldn't offer feedback if they thought people were asking just for the ego boost... I can imagine loooads of people ask, they must be used to it! It's natural to wonder where you did well and where you could improve :smile:

Nearly all feedback requests come from candidates who do not receive offers. Individuals with offers can nevertheless request feedback but for understandable reasons may have to wait slightly longer for a response. Schools sometimes suggest that candidates with offers write asking for feedback to help improve the advice given to other applicants.
Original post by Yaz97

AAA so quite a low offer, it's no higher than most of my other offers! I loved Brasenose when I looked at it, I was gutted they didn't do my course - open offers sound really exciting, it's like an extra surprise on results day :smile: Yeah that's true! I'm just curious about which interviews were considered the better ones and which were worse, to see if the ones I thought were better were actually!
Original post by Lau14
I wouldn't worry, I'm a UK applicant and I recieved exactly the same from St Hugh's!

Thank you! Is there a need to verify my A level results?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone else who's got an offer been able to receive feedback yet? I'm thinking especially of myself with MAT results but if any of you guys also requested feedback...
Reply 526
Original post by admissionshost
Nearly all feedback requests come from candidates who do not receive offers. Individuals with offers can nevertheless request feedback but for understandable reasons may have to wait slightly longer for a response. Schools sometimes suggest that candidates with offers write asking for feedback to help improve the advice given to other applicants.

Ahh, thank you - one of my teachers did say they'd like to know what the best bits of my application for exactly that reason, and I agreed, which is partly why I asked as otherwise I'd happily just accept the offer without needing to know what I did well. In that case I'll write an email making it clear that that's the main purpose... is there a standard format?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yaz97
Definitely! The funny thing is that I have quite a neutral accent with just a hint of a Derbyshire influence, so at school everyone thinks I'm "posh" but at Oxford I was quite proud of my Derbyshire roots! So I played up the accent a bit in an effort to sound interesting :wink:

I have an open offer (interviewed at Brasenose and Somerville) for psychology :smile: I may be thinking of someone else, but did I read that you have a maths offer at St Catz?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got quite a strong one but I did manage not to call anyone a duck! Wow, congratulations! It must be strange having an open offer though, which did you prefer out of those two? And yep, that's me!
Original post by Naomi12
AAA so quite a low offer, it's no higher than most of my other offers! I loved Brasenose when I looked at it, I was gutted they didn't do my course - open offers sound really exciting, it's like an extra surprise on results day :smile: Yeah that's true! I'm just curious about which interviews were considered the better ones and which were worse, to see if the ones I thought were better were actually!

Same, I really like Brasenose (as well as some other colleges) but only a small handful of colleges do my course ):
Original post by Skitee
Has anyone else who's got an offer been able to receive feedback yet? I'm thinking especially of myself with MAT results but if any of you guys also requested feedback...

Hi :smile: I asked for my MAT score and they said they'd be happy to tell me but are very busy atm so it might take a little while
Reply 530
Original post by emilhay6
I've got quite a strong one but I did manage not to call anyone a duck! Wow, congratulations! It must be strange having an open offer though, which did you prefer out of those two? And yep, that's me!

Haha they'd have been so confused! I think I did say ayup to one person and I just received an odd look in return :') thank you, you too, St Catz looks so nice! Is that the one you applied to? The only reason I didn't apply there was because it didn't feel very Oxfordy, but if it'd have been any other uni it'd definitely have been a top choice! It is a bit strange, like I keep wanting to ask who has offers from Brasenose and then I remember I'm not actually going to Brasenose... still, it'll be nice to have somewhere new to explore if I get in :biggrin: and they were quite different but I liked both! I didn't see much of Somerville as I didn't stay there, but one thing I noticed was that Somerville felt a bit more like a school whereas Brasenose was more cosy... not sure if anyone else felt the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maxisuper
Offer from Christ Church//Engineering

Disbelief to be honest, I couldn't define a bloody radian in my interview. Anyone find it funny that we get cleaners for our rooms ?:u:

Woo, another Engineer!
Ha, well I forgot that the earth was spherical in mine so the tutors are more forgiving than I'd have imaged!

Yes hahah, my mum is NOT impressed at all
Original post by Chlorophile
TSR is my social life. A sadder statement was never made.

I'm just really curious to know, are you planning on changing your social life and how you interact with others once you begin the course? Or are you comfortable the way you are?

I am personally very confident and most of the work I do at school, I discuss comfortably with classmates and I can't imagine not doing so at Uni. I wonder whether people with personalities like yours would be open to interacting with me or not?

I do make an effort to talk to and include the more quiet and reserved people in my classes, but I also don't like to overwhelm them with my confidence.
Reply 533
Original post by PrinceUpsb
Thanks for response. Am just going to get photocopies with Manager signature from work. Did you include copies of GCSE certificates? As conditions state 'grades as declared on ucas' (i.e. No specification for just AS/A2).

Check with your college. I think mine only wanted A levels in the end.
Original post by simba_n
I'm just really curious to know, are you planning on changing your social life and how you interact with others once you begin the course? Or are you comfortable the way you are?

I am personally very confident and most of the work I do at school, I discuss comfortably with classmates and I can't imagine not doing so at Uni. I wonder whether people with personalities like yours would be open to interacting with me or not?

I do make an effort to talk to and include the more quiet and reserved people in my classes, but I also don't like to overwhelm them with my confidence.

You're confusing not having a social life with not being able to interact with people. I can deal with people absolutely fine at a one-to-one level, I've got absolutely no problem with discussing work (I like discussing work) or stuff like that - most people in my school probably don't know there's anything wrong with me. My problem is busy social situations or in big groups. For instance, I would never go to a bar or social outing. Even dining halls make me nervous although that's obviously something I have to deal with. So yes, I'd be happy to interact with you or anyone else if it's work related or somewhere quiet where there aren't many people.
Original post by Yaz97
Haha they'd have been so confused! I think I did say ayup to one person and I just received an odd look in return :') thank you, you too, St Catz looks so nice! Is that the one you applied to? The only reason I didn't apply there was because it didn't feel very Oxfordy, but if it'd have been any other uni it'd definitely have been a top choice! It is a bit strange, like I keep wanting to ask who has offers from Brasenose and then I remember I'm not actually going to Brasenose... still, it'll be nice to have somewhere new to explore if I get in :biggrin: and they were quite different but I liked both! I didn't see much of Somerville as I didn't stay there, but one thing I noticed was that Somerville felt a bit more like a school whereas Brasenose was more cosy... not sure if anyone else felt the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There was a girl from Newcastle who just kept making me feel really southern! But I did mention a jitty while we were all out in Oxford and nobody knew what I was talking about :biggrin: no I applied to Worcester to start with (I didn't apply to Catz for the same reason as you) but looking at it now, it's got most of the reasons why applied to Worcester in the first place so I am definitely not complaining! :smile: So when do you find out which one you'll actually be going to? I looked at Somerville when I was trying to decide because it's so close to the maths department - I could literally have just rolled out of bed in the mornings and been there in 5 minutes!
You're confusing not having a social life with not being able to interact with people. I can deal with people absolutely fine at a one-to-one level, I've got absolutely no problem with discussing work (I like discussing work) or stuff like that - most people in my school probably don't know there's anything wrong with me. My problem is busy social situations or in big groups. For instance, I would never go to a bar or social outing. Even dining halls make me nervous although that's obviously something I have to deal with. So yes, I'd be happy to interact with you or anyone else if it's work related or somewhere quiet where there aren't many people.

Ahh I understand now, thanks for clearing it up :smile: It makes sense that one would make you uncomfortable, whilst the other not so much. I just would never have thought of it that way.
Reply 537
Original post by Yaz97
Hi, well done on your offer! I have an open offer for psychology, but I'm interested in your Spanish interview (if it weren't for psychology I'd probably have chosen languages at uni). What kinds of questions did they ask? I had a look at the entrance exam for languages as initially I was considering psychology with linguistics, and it looked really difficult! So what did it take to get an offer for Spanish? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! Congratulations on your Psychology offer. Before the interviews I had to do the MLAT which involved grammar and translation, and then I did a linguistics aptitude test at interview, as my course changed from English and Spanish to Spanish sole which includes compulsory linguistics in first year. I had three interviews, one for linguistics, one for general modern languages, and a more specific Spanish one. For the languages interviews, I was given an extract to prepare beforehand and then had to analyse that during the interview. There were also questions on film, literature and what I'd read/submitted work/personal statement. From what I can remember, nothing was too unexpected, but I did have to take a few moments before answering the more open questions. I actually really enjoyed the interviews and the discussion aspect of them - after getting over the initial nerves and especially having to speak in Spanish! But they seemed to understand most of what I said so I think that's the main thing. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 538
Original post by hermit17
Thank you! Is there a need to verify my A level results?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only if you already have your A levels, and I think they would tell you if you need to?
Same, I really like Brasenose (as well as some other colleges) but only a small handful of colleges do my course ):

What made you choose St. Annes out of curiosity? Pretty much everyone I know who applied for Earth Sciences chose Worcester.

Latest