The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster Entrance Exams

Scroll to see replies

Any ideas of any other good sixth forms in London? Name a few pls :smile:
Are there loads of house parties and stuff at Harris Westminster?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I read through the contents of the thread and it saddens me to think students have been put off this opportunity by misinformed students.
Comparing St Dominic's to HWSF,( having got offer from both sixth form colleges), I can say my decision to choose HWSF was a decision I do not regret. St Dominic's is a college with over 1,000 students. This large number means there is limited individual contact.
Here at HSSF, we have great career and university support. We receive emails from teachers on what lectures are on for the courses we would like to apply for at uni, we have meetings with heads of houses and our tutors regarding our future. The support for Oxbridge applications is our strongest advantage. The majority of our teachers have studied at Oxbridge, they know the standard which is expected. We are given extra reading or essays to write to aid our Oxbridge applications. There are many leadership opportunities: house captain, student senate , societies president, sports captain ect.
Original post by SpeedyGonzalez
Are there loads of house parties and stuff at Harris Westminster?

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be truthful, no, not loads. There are a few though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
im freaking out because i haven't received any letters....
Original post by ♥Samantha♥

Contact Mr Handscombe: [email protected]
After having talked to the headmaster about the candidate number questions that a few of you had, I have a solid answer:

There are around 700 applicants, with exams split over the day. About 350 each half of the day. Your candidate numbers were added onto the end of ours, which stop at around 360. Those with special needs in my year were put first and then sorted alphabetically, but your candidate numbers have been apparently issued on a first come, first served basis. Hope this clears many questions up!

Don't worry about the fact that there are twice as many applications as last year! There are over twice the amount of spaces available!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sakshres
The thing is me and friend have similar predicted grades as you but we didn't receive any letter or email.
I want to call them but it would be extremely awkward if they tell me my name isn't on the list etc.

I think it might just be that you could be in the PM exams instead of the AM exams as I got an email last week however some of my friends have only just recieved emails as their exams are in the afternoon. Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SSpringer20
Any ideas of any other good sixth forms in London? Name a few pls :smile:

Many of the state selective sixth forms have closed now.
But the good ones I know of are : LAE, NCS....
Original post by ♥Samantha♥

The Email posted said the letters should arrive by tomorrow...
Original post by Wesleigh
After having talked to the headmaster about the candidate number questions that a few of you had, I have a solid answer:

There are around 700 applicants, with exams split over the day. About 350 each half of the day. Your candidate numbers were added onto the end of ours, which stop at around 360. Those with special needs in my year were put first and then sorted alphabetically, but your candidate numbers have been apparently issued on a first come, first served basis. Hope this clears many questions up!

Don't worry about the fact that there are twice as many applications as last year! There are over twice the amount of spaces available!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot, that makes life much more easier :smile:
I hope to see most of you at the exams day. I'll be there, helping out!
Original post by DarkAvenger
Many of the state selective sixth forms have closed now.
But the good ones I know of are : LAE, NCS....

LAE Assessment day and HWSF Exam are on the same day for me, at the same time. How depressing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QueenGeek
LAE Assessment day and HWSF Exam are on the same day for me, at the same time. How depressing

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure that if you contact one of the headmasters from one of the schools, you would be able to sort something out!
I'm sure that if you contact one of the headmasters from one of the schools, you would be able to sort something out!

Decided to reschedule LAE... I am more fond of HWSF
Decided to reschedule LAE... I am more fond of HWSF

Although I'd say this anyway: Good Choice! I hope you're not too worried about the exams! See you then!

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, but I have rearranged my LAE assessment day to the 17th
Is everyone ready for the exams?
Original post by sakshres
Is everyone ready for the exams?

One way that I think you can maximise your "readiness" is by working on tackling questions that don't have a simple solution.
(edited 9 years ago)
One way that I think you can maximise your "readiness" is by working on tackling questions that don't have a simple solution.

Yeah thats true. I been trying to attempt a lot more of those type of questions.

Quick Reply