The Student Room Group

Coming out to a friend as depressed?

I have been since I was 12. There is a girl I've been staying with now for a year, and I want to tell her, but will this put her off me?
If someone dislikes you because you are depressed, are they worth being friends with?
Original post by rmhumphries
If someone dislikes you because you are depressed, are they worth being friends with?

Pretty much this. Just be straightforward about it, if they're a good friend they'll be understanding/not bothered.
It's no good bottling it up inside. Go talk to her about it; I'm sure she'll understand.
Reply 4

Depression took a few years of my life, I'm scared to tell friends because they are the gossipy/judgy sort
Original post by HarryDn
Depression took a few years of my life, I'm scared to tell friends because they are the gossipy/judgy sort

I understand it is difficult, I have suffered from depression myself in the past, but at the end of the day, someone isn't a very good friend if they judge you for essentially being ill.

That rules out a lot of people I'm afraid.
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
That rules out a lot of people I'm afraid.

To be fair, there are a lot of people I wouldn't want to be friends with - I prefer to have a small number of good friends, then a large number of non-close friends. Each to their own I guess.
To be fair, there are a lot of people I wouldn't want to be friends with - I prefer to have a small number of good friends, then a large number of non-close friends. Each to their own I guess.

Meto, Well, I mean that's what I would choose to be like if I actually found anyone I could ever be friends with.
Original post by TheGhostz
Why would you want to tell her? Why not just keep it to yourself and snort coke like the rest of us do.

Joking or not - that's not really helpful or responsible in the slightest....
Reply 10
I understand it is difficult, I have suffered from depression myself in the past, but at the end of the day, someone isn't a very good friend if they judge you for essentially being ill.

Sorry to hear that. Is there a TSR thread or anything on it?

It isnt just friends either. Most potential partners don't see people who have had depression as the type to "bring home to parents." I have heard from depressed female friends that men are also judgmental.
Original post by HBPrincess
Joking or not - that's not really helpful or responsible in the slightest....

LOL did you really need to report my post? What's the point of report it if you're just going to quote my post for everyone to see? LOL!

And how is it not helpful? It's a working solution for some people.
Original post by TheGhostz
LOL did you really need to report my post? What's the point of report it if you're just going to quote my post for everyone to see? LOL!

And how is it not helpful? It's a working solution for some people.

I did no such thing - honest.

Besides, cocaine is not the healthiest of ways to try and cope with depression, and not forgetting to mention that it's illegal. :/
Original post by Sluice
I have been since I was 12. There is a girl I've been staying with now for a year, and I want to tell her, but will this put her off me?

If you're not sure how to bring it into conversation or how to talk about it there's an organisation called Time to Change who have a lot of resources that can help you :smile:
Original post by HarryDn
Sorry to hear that. Is there a TSR thread or anything on it?

It isnt just friends either. Most potential partners don't see people who have had depression as the type to "bring home to parents." I have heard from depressed female friends that men are also judgmental.

There is the mental health forum, which includes the mental health support society.

Certainly with partners, while some people would be judgemental, are these people a good fit for you if they are that judgemental?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending