The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
Money 250k can buy you a couple of houses in manchester/Liverpool that you can sell and make profit on.

By that time you could have sold your houses and say you got a 10k profit on each house you sell and you sell a house at the rate of once a couple of months you'd be on 60k a year from house profits? Then you can always buy more expensive houses in london and make even more profit from that.

This is a bit idealistic. Wait till you find out about capital gains tax:biggrin:
I'd take the £250k. I don't need an Oxbridge degree to succeed!
You spend years working towards a degree, with the aspiration of earning something like £250k on an annual basis.

Once you finish uni and enter the big bad world, you come to realise your degree is of little help when applying to jobs, because the employer says he/she wants 'experience over qualifications' (obviously this differs between which jobs you apply to and if it's a very specific field).

After several months of searching, attempting to convince yourself and others the thousands of pounds worth of debt you're now in is still worth it and that your time is yet to come.

You then find yourself begrudgingly accepting and then working a 52 hour week, on something around £17k annual.

While you're stacking the shelves with those dusty, torn up, cardboard boxes, you stop for a split second. You sit on a spare box and you think "I should have taken that £250k"...

Take the £250k.
Me wants the money :teeth:
Original post by tombayes
This is a bit idealistic. Wait till you find out about capital gains tax:biggrin:

Well obviously tax will be a factor into play but the general message is true.
Original post by yo radical one
Unless you have either immediate investment plans for the money, or you are literally on the verge of starving to death, anyone who would take the 250k is a moron. With a first degree classification in the right subject, you would earn so much more than that in the long term and that's excluding any value of the experience itself.

I find it noteworthy that so many people on TSR, say that their education is important to them and their future success in life, but the moment it's something they wanted to achieve, but didn't quite manage to do, it becomes irrelevant.

Well yeah if you're doing medicine or law yeah but in reality you could just get a sales job or something like that post degree at any generic russell group, you'll be on 60k plus after 5 or so years and that doesn't even include OTE.

I disagree on the second bit too. Just because somebody has aspirations for something and doesn't get it doesn't mean they can't get better opportunities elsewhere. An Oxbridge degree is probably worth 100k but it's not worth what 250k lump sum can give you in the long term.
My mate knows a guy who has a first from Oxford- He works in Sainsburys. It'd be 250k for me
Original post by jam277
Well obviously tax will be a factor into play but the general message is true.

Not sure. I believe Capital gains tax (buy to let) on a second home could be as high as 40%. Also, houses don't make instant profit - even if their prices rise, it is to do with inflation not their real value increasing (especially outside London). £250k is not enough in my opinion to be sustainable (and actually make a profit).
£250k and I'll still have the degree I'll be getting from the university I currently attend.

:tongue:
Not sure. I believe Capital gains tax (buy to let) on a second home could be as high as 40%. Also, houses don't make instant profit - even if their prices rise, it is to do with inflation not their real value increasing (especially outside London). £250k is not enough in my opinion to be sustainable (and actually make a profit).

Na. My aim is essentially buying a house Renovating it for cheap and then selling the renovated house will increase it's value. You can also rent the house to people initially so they pay up money and you get profit from that.

Also If I make 60k and 40% is taken off from capital gains I'll still be getting 36k per year which is enough. I then will use some of those profits to buy houses in areas that will rise the most in price.
(edited 9 years ago)
No way would I take the money,
With a useful degree you'd hopefully be employed earning 50K so in a few years you've earned the 250K.
However this is provided you've actually done the work and education for a degree, and not just received a piece of paper saying you have.

Not really, if you buy a house and rent it out after some years you have enough to buy a second one.

But yes it doesn't go that fast and it will be a hassle. Also depends on the mortgage rate you can get

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam277
Well yeah if you're doing medicine or law yeah but in reality you could just get a sales job or something like that post degree at any generic russell group, you'll be on 60k plus after 5 or so years and that doesn't even include OTE.

I disagree on the second bit too. Just because somebody has aspirations for something and doesn't get it doesn't mean they can't get better opportunities elsewhere. An Oxbridge degree is probably worth 100k but it's not worth what 250k lump sum can give you in the long term.

If it was something stupid and pointless sure, but say a good STEM subject you would get onto a great graduate program and probably get paid 30k per year easily, whilst also studying. You would quickly be able to establish yourself as the golden boy/girl

I know you can get better opportunities elsewhere of course, but I do think that people were being slightly defensive when they go out of their way to prove that Oxbridge doesn't guarantee success in life and posting articles of successful people who did not go etc. A secure person, wouldn't care and be successful either way. A similar thing is when people who don't go to university run on about Alan Sugar - He achieved a lot, it has no relevance to them though

It would be interesting if a group of statisticians did some kind of valuation of degrees for all universities, classifications etc though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
My mate knows a guy who has a first from Oxford- He works in Sainsburys. It'd be 250k for me

What subject?
I have a 1st from another top university and a job, so money for me please.
Original post by jam277
to buy houses in areas that will rise the most in price.

The Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea :biggrin: . (Average semi-detached £8.2 Million, 5 years ago £4.3 Million)
Reply 96
Money.
250 grand will get you a lot further invested wisely than a piece of paper.
Original post by HarryDn
What subject?

Physics
Original post by yo radical one
If it was something stupid and pointless sure, but say a good STEM subject you would get onto a great graduate program and probably get paid 30k per year easily, whilst also studying. You would quickly be able to establish yourself as the golden boy/girl

First bit hardly anybody actually gets into these things without having connections, I guess you can get that at Oxford or RG universities but chances of you suddenly getting that and becoming super rich isn't the highest. You can get 30k per year doing loads of things. Heck pretty much all my family besides me are on 30k jobs minimum and while all of us went to university, with two of us going to RGs doing quite good courses we are not particularly the sharpest tools in the box academically in TSR terms, just knew how to get a job, work hard and get onto good money. I've been getting onto interviews for 30k+ jobs with potential to rise above so I don't think it's that amazing. A degree + experience is more important than the prestige of the degree and university.

I know you can get better opportunities elsewhere of course, but I do think that people were being slightly defensive when they go out of their way to prove that Oxbridge doesn't guarantee success in life and posting articles of successful people who did not go etc. A secure person, wouldn't care. A similar thing is when people who don't go to university run on about Alan Sugar - He achieved a lot, it has no relevance to them though

That's true but the OP's agenda is him flaunting about his First at Oxbridge, which I showed by the post that I quoted a couple pages back. So if anything he's being insecure himself(although you'd suspect a guy with a first at Oxbridge wouldn't need to flaunt his grades on a student forum in the first place but oh well).

It would be interesting if a group of statisticians did some kind of valuation of degrees for all universities, classifications etc though.

Yeah you'd expect LSE firsts and Imperial firsts to get the highest, Imperial are STEM so they'll be getting shedloads of money via the likes of medicine, maths engineers and physicists while LSE people will be getting shed loads of money because of maths/economic grads and the shedloads of investment bankers that go through their uni. Oxbridge a close next, with Warwick and UCL will under slightly, Probably forgetting lawyers here though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Treen98
No way would I take the money,
With a useful degree you'd hopefully be employed earning 50K so in a few years you've earned the 250K.
However this is provided you've actually done the work and education for a degree, and not just received a piece of paper saying you have.

There are issues with this. Taking the money doesn't prevent you from earning a salary for the next five years, and an Oxbridge degree doesn't guarantee you one. Also, you could invest that £250k and make more than £50k per annum from that capital alone.

Latest