The Student Room Group

UCAS - Reference and Pay/Send issues! UBERTHREAD

Hi,
So im having issues with my UCAS application. I am applying alone and am using a tutor from college last year as a referee. I emailed him and hes agreed to be my referee and has given me the buzzword i needed to enter in order to send the reference application off to the college.

I did this a few weeks back and i am unable to click the reference box at all as it stays unchecked. So i click on the options box and click the link that says "Ask a registered school, college or organisation to write your reference only", and it just displays that my college has not yet made a decision and that when they do it will be displayed on that same page.

Ive emailed my college tutor telling him that the reference is the only thing left! I need it completed by him or the college ASAP. But hes told me that i need to click the pay/send button and do all that first and then UCAS will send him a one-off sign in box where he can post my reference.

I cannot click the pay/send button!?

What should i do? Everything is checked and filled out apart from the reference and the pay/send. Surely someone else has had or is having this exact issue? Thanks! :smile:

Quick responses are needed! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can't click pay/send? That's strange! Is it greyed out or something? And are all the other boxes ticked?
Reply 2
You have to pay/send before a referee can be added, surprised you can't click on it to be honest. Give ucas a ring if all else fails
Reply 3
Original post by Lilyghz
You can't click pay/send? That's strange! Is it greyed out or something? And are all the other boxes ticked?

Here is a screenshot. The other clickable sections highlight in red when you hover your mouse over them, the reference and pay/send boxes are a different shade to the others and dont highlight when my mouse is hovered above them. I can click everything else apart from them two?!
Reply 4
Original post by Age
You have to pay/send before a referee can be added, surprised you can't click on it to be honest. Give ucas a ring if all else fails

Well the one page is telling me that i need to wait for my college to make a decision on my reference, but is that before or after i complete the pay/send?

On the other hand my old college tutor is telling me that i must complete the pay/send section first and then the reference will be dealt with?!

Its very confusing and the fact there is less than 2 days to the deadline, this is really frustrating and is making me think that i wont get it done in time. Ill have to give UCAS a call as soon as i can tomorrow morning!
Original post by Joeey
Well the one page is telling me that i need to wait for my college to make a decision on my reference, but is that before or after i complete the pay/send?

On the other hand my old college tutor is telling me that i must complete the pay/send section first and then the reference will be dealt with?!

Its very confusing and the fact there is less than 2 days to the deadline, this is really frustrating and is making me think that i wont get it done in time. Ill have to give UCAS a call as soon as i can tomorrow morning!

I'm not sure but do you not have to fill out the bit that says reference, and then it'll give you the option to send reference request to the tutor. Make sure he receives it and it doesn't go to spam like what happened with my reference. Only then can you pay and send your application... this is what I did anyway. Good luck :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Samuel_Murray
I'm not sure but do you not have to fill out the bit that says reference, and then it'll give you the option to send reference request to the tutor. Make sure he receives it and it doesn't go to spam like what happened with my reference. Only then can you pay and send your application... this is what I did anyway. Good luck :smile:

Im being told 2 different things and im unsure which is correct? Does the reference box on the homepage have to be ticked in order to access the pay/send section? My tutor is telling me that i should just be able to send it off and the reference will be completed afterwards.

I dont know what to believe? I didnt fill out the reference information, i asked him for the buzzword in which i entered on the options section. After doing that the reference box has been unclickable. If i go to the options part and click on the link that says "get a school/college to fill out your reference". It comes up with my college name and says simply that they have not yet made a decision regarding my reference?

This is so stressful i literally hope i get this sorted in time, otherwise it might affect my chances on getting in the uni/course i want to! :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by Joeey

When I filled mine out in October it was the only box that couldn't be edited. When you pay and send the application only gets sent to the college not ucas as only the college can process the application to ucas after adding the reference.
My advice is to press pay/send because it won't get sent off to ucas and if there are any errors it can be sent back to you by your college tutor and rest assured you will not have to pay twice.
Reply 8
Original post by Age
When I filled mine out in October it was the only box that couldn't be edited. When you pay and send the application only gets sent to the college not ucas as only the college can process the application to ucas after adding the reference.
My advice is to press pay/send because it won't get sent off to ucas and if there are any errors it can be sent back to you by your college tutor and rest assured you will not have to pay twice.

You have this all wrong! I CANNOT CLICK the pay/send button! its unticked and unclickable! I would send it off but i cant! Im applying alone btw but through my previous college!
Reply 9
Original post by Joeey
You have this all wrong! I CANNOT CLICK the pay/send button! its unticked and unclickable! I would send it off but i cant! Im applying alone btw but through my previous college!

Well unless if it's changed since October then I am unaware of the procedure...
Have you clicked section complete on the referee box (if that's an option)? And finally all sections complete?
Reply 10
Original post by Age
Well unless if it's changed since October then I am unaware of the procedure...
Have you clicked section complete on the referee box (if that's an option)? And finally all sections complete?

Everything is complete apart from the reference box. The options menu is telling me that my old college has not yet made a decision on my reference, i presume that is why it is not ticked. However my tutor is telling me that i should just be able to go through the pay/send part and he will be able to do the reference bit afterwards. But thats the thing, i cannot click the pay/send section. So im stuck, ill have to ring ucas and ask them why that is. The only thing i can think of is that my college tutor must be wrong, or hasn't received any request and that is why.
Reply 11
If nothing else works, try making another account. It will be time consuming but it may be your only option.
Reply 12
Original post by Joeey

You're not applying as an individual, which is why you're getting the wrong information. Stop insisting you are. You have requested that your previous school add you so that you are applying through them.

They haven't approved this yet. You can't click pay and send until they do - so try to hurry them up a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by JennaK
If nothing else works, try making another account. It will be time consuming but it may be your only option.

It cannot be the account, even if it was im sure UCAS can resolve it or atleast transfer everything onto a new one. Im pretty much certain its to do with the reference, ill just sort it tomorrow. Ill give UCAS a ring see if they can fix the issue. If not ill have to go into my old college and speak with the tutor whos providing me with the reference and see if he can sort it out.
Reply 14
Original post by Joeey
Im being told 2 different things and im unsure which is correct? Does the reference box on the homepage have to be ticked in order to access the pay/send section? My tutor is telling me that i should just be able to send it off and the reference will be completed afterwards.

I dont know what to believe? I didnt fill out the reference information, i asked him for the buzzword in which i entered on the options section. After doing that the reference box has been unclickable. If i go to the options part and click on the link that says "get a school/college to fill out your reference". It comes up with my college name and says simply that they have not yet made a decision regarding my reference?

This is so stressful i literally hope i get this sorted in time, otherwise it might affect my chances on getting in the uni/course i want to! :frown:

Couldn't you ask your old school to let you apply through them? That way you only pay and send and then it gets sent to them so they fill out a reference. I was applying as an individual first but when I rung my school they told me they'd register me with them anyway. Maybe ask?
Reply 15
Original post by Juno
You're not applying as an individual, which is why you're getting the wrong information. Stop insisting you are. You have requested that your previous school add you so that you are applying through them.

They haven't approved this yet. You can't click pay and send until they do - so try to hurry them up a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well technically im applying by myself, but just getting a reference through my college. Its all confusing and very frustrating since the deadline is in under 2 days so can you not imagine how annoyed and stressed i am? Well my college tutor must be wrong then, hes insisting that i HAVE to pay/send first before he completes my reference. Im just being lead around in circles here and its very annoying especially when im being told 2 different things.
Reply 16
Original post by Atunu
Couldn't you ask your old school to let you apply through them? That way you only pay and send and then it gets sent to them so they fill out a reference. I was applying as an individual first but when I rung my school they told me they'd register me with them anyway. Maybe ask?

Yes but how would i go about that? I cant change my reference anyway since its already been sent? This is a problem ill have to sort with the college tomorrow, if they cant figure it out ill have to see if they will decline my reference and then maybe ill be able to ring my old school and get a new one. Hopefully if that scenario happened to play out, i hope i dont end up in this stupid situation im currently in. tick tock, 1 day 21 hours left. Im scared...
Reply 17
Original post by Juno

Posted from TSR Mobile

If your getting the impression im doing this whilst at college then thats not true. If it was then im pretty sure most colleges have there own set deadline earlier than now. I believe it would have been sometime near the end of november. Im not at college at the moment. But im using them as a reference since i was there only 6 months ago. So yes i am applying as an individual.
Reply 18
Original post by Joeey
Yes but how would i go about that? I cant change my reference anyway since its already been sent? This is a problem ill have to sort with the college tomorrow, if they cant figure it out ill have to see if they will decline my reference and then maybe ill be able to ring my old school and get a new one. Hopefully if that scenario happened to play out, i hope i dont end up in this stupid situation im currently in. tick tock, 1 day 21 hours left. Im scared...

I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure either your school or UCAS will try and sort this out. And yeah your school would be in charge of changing that, you give them your ucas id and they add you to their system. Make sure to speak to them tomorrow.
Reply 19
Original post by Joeey
Well technically im applying by myself, but just getting a reference through my college. Its all confusing and very frustrating since the deadline is in under 2 days so can you not imagine how annoyed and stressed i am? Well my college tutor must be wrong then, hes insisting that i HAVE to pay/send first before he completes my reference. Im just being lead around in circles here and its very annoying especially when im being told 2 different things.

But the reason you're so annoyed and stressed is because you're insisting on doing something that isn't possible. You are not applying as an individual.

You originally chose to apply as an individual, but then completed the request to apply through your college. You are therefore applying through your college. I have no idea if this is what you meant to do, but this is what you did.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending