The Student Room Group

Maths Problem

I've been struggling with this for months, and my curiosity has gotten the better of me. On my Maths teachers wall there is a problem that reads:

"Vuakc xua zikoiti os?

Nerbek fus sgi bqicos om 1650 zas 'gor' sqoemfki ennieqic om sgi vuqjr ud Bga Rgo-joi om 1303!
Clue: Pascal"

I have no clue what this means. Any Ideas?

Thanks
Reply 1
Well I'm not really sure if I was to have a guess I'd say it involved Pascal's triangle: from what I've found there is evidence of something similar/almost identical in Chinese scrolls dating back to 1303, and then of course there's Pascal's triangle which was certainly around 1650. Hope this is useful
That was my original thought, obviously Pascal being the clue. This Chinese scroll is new to me, so thank you for the heads up! I will let you know of any progress!!
Original post by TheToffeeBlues
I've been struggling with this for months, and my curiosity has gotten the better of me. On my Maths teachers wall there is a problem that reads:

"Vuakc xua zikoiti os?

Nerbek fus sgi bqicos om 1650 zas 'gor' sqoemfki ennieqic om sgi vuqjr ud Bga Rgo-joi om 1303!
Clue: Pascal"

I have no clue what this means. Any Ideas?

Thanks

It's a substitution cipher. "Nerbek" -> "Pascal". It's quite easy to decipher (e.g. what might "om" map to?)
Hi Guys,

I managed to cipher the code. It was:

"Would you believe it? Pascal got the credit in 1650 but 'his' triangle appeared in the works of Chu Shi Kie in 1303"

Quick Reply

Latest