The Student Room Group

Psychology at uni

Hey, I'm gonna be studying psychology at uni but I never studied psychology, science or maths prior to this at sixth form; so I was wondering if I would struggle a lot in the course compared to everyone else.

If so any ways I could prepare myself for it like books or something, right now I'm studying a psychology course on Alison.com.
Reply 1
Hey, im studying psy at sixthform and im also further studying psy in uni! From what i've heard in uni they go back to basics so you wouldnt exactly struggle but probably would need to read up on certain topics and just study more as people who have previously studied the subject would find the first year easier :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Zarella
Hey, im studying psy at sixthform and im also further studying psy in uni! From what i've heard in uni they go back to basics so you wouldnt exactly struggle but probably would need to read up on certain topics and just study more as people who have previously studied the subject would find the first year easier :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that's good to hear thank you :smile:. Any idea which topics I should read up on, or any the basic stuff I should read?
Original post by Lukeyc123
Ah that's good to hear thank you :smile:. Any idea which topics I should read up on, or any the basic stuff I should read?

First year won't assume any prior knowledge. Also, at most unis, first year is generally fairly light on workload, so if you were really worried, you could easily catch up during the first year of uni. However, having some basic psychology and biology knowledge would be useful... there's loads of psychology lectures on on youtube (from yale and elsewhere) which cover first year material in a not too difficult way (i'd recommend http://oyc.yale.edu/psychology/psyc-110). I'd recommend also https://www.khanacademy.org/science/biology for learning some basic biology.
Also, i made alist of books that i thought were useful or have been recommend by unis for first years or that have won awards (e.g. BPS book award): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2739866
I'd just recommend finding something you find interest and reading that...
Reply 5
Thanks so much I appreciate it. I'll be sure to check out all the stuff you recommended :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Lukeyc123
Thanks so much I appreciate it. I'll be sure to check out all the stuff you recommended :smile:

The topics that you should check out are cognitive psychology, development psychology, or really just look up online some AS and A2 modules and read up on those so you have some knowledge on the subject
Reply 7
Original post by Zarella
The topics that you should check out are cognitive psychology, development psychology, or really just look up online some AS and A2 modules and read up on those so you have some knowledge on the subject

Ok will make sure to check those out thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending