The Student Room Group

I don't have any reference from my work experience to get a job?

Basically, I'm 16 and I'm looking for my first job. I did work experience in year 10 at Tesco but I have no 'evidence'. Like can I just apply for a job if they think I've had no prior experience?
Reply 1
You can apply for a job even with no prior experience. :smile: It might make it more difficult to prove you are the best candidate, but everyone has to start with a first job somewhere!

You can still write your work experience on an application form if it's relevant and some of the duties you had/skills you used there. You can use another reference rather than a previous employer (a teacher/tutor/other professional/sometimes a family friend/etc), and you can use other experiences to show that you have the necessary skills/attributes/qualities/requirements - any experiences of leading a group, extra-curricular activities, times when you've organised/planned something, writing skills, communication skills, etc etc.

Good luck for any jobs you apply to. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by roselestrange
Basically, I'm 16 and I'm looking for my first job. I did work experience in year 10 at Tesco but I have no 'evidence'. Like can I just apply for a job if they think I've had no prior experience?

Very normal for an applicant of your age to apply without references.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending