The Student Room Group

Forces

A ship towed at constant speed by two tugboats, each pulling the ship with a force of 9kN. The angle between tugboat cables is 40 degrees.

A) calculate the resultant force on the ship due to the two cables
B)calculate the drag force on the ship
What help do you want with this question?
A suggestion is to draw a diagram.
Reply 2
Original post by morgan8002
What help do you want with this question?
A suggestion is to draw a diagram.

I want help answering the questions:

Original post by nikirab
I want help answering the questions:

Do you have any ideas that you think you should use? Have you made any progress or working so far?
Reply 4
Original post by nikirab
A ship towed at constant speed by two tugboats, each pulling the ship with a force of 9kN. The angle between tugboat cables is 40 degrees.

You need to draw a diagram- have you seen diagrams with forces labelled on? Once you've drawn the diagram, most of this will be quite easy (assuming you know how to resolve forces, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it)
Reply 5
Original post by lerjj
You need to draw a diagram- have you seen diagrams with forces labelled on? Once you've drawn the diagram, most of this will be quite easy (assuming you know how to resolve forces, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it)

there is a diagram in the text book. I used Pythagoras is that correct? but I couldn't get the right answers
Original post by nikirab
there is a diagram in the text book. I used Pythagoras is that correct? but I couldn't get the right answers

Yes, you need to add the component of each force that is acting to move the boat forwards.
Reply 7
Original post by nikirab

Don't think you can do it using Pythagoras. To find the total pull you just need to add: resolve both vectors horizontally and vertically and add components- hopefully you can work out a (slightly) quicker way to do it in this situation from the diagram.
Original post by lerjj
Don't think you can do it using Pythagoras. To find the total pull you just need to add: resolve both vectors horizontally and vertically and add components- hopefully you can work out a (slightly) quicker way to do it in this situation from the diagram.

Vertical components will cancel. Therefore you only need to add horizontal components.
Reply 9
Vertical components will cancel. Therefore you only need to add horizontal components.

You're not the thread starter...
Reply 10
What is the answer the mark scheme has put down? I would've thought trigonometry and vector addition would get you the right answer.
Reply 11
I'd have to see a diagram to get my head around it
Trig and vector addition does answer it.

Spoiler

Reply 13
Trig and vector addition does answer it.

Spoiler

exactly what I did too :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest