The Student Room Group

Gap year / Reapplication

I applied to study Biochemistry at 5 uni's in Oct 2014.
Before any decision was made, I realised that the universities I applied to weren't really for me. I did not achieve great AS grades (ABCD) given extenuating circumstances, but teachers pushed me to apply anyway and predicted me A*AAB. To my surprise I have received offers from 3/5 universities. I even received consideration from Oxford, but was rejected post-interview. After our mocks, however, my teachers realised I have exceeded what they previously thought I could achieve and are putting me on track for A*A*A*B. I was planning to apply to universities on my gap year instead of applying in 2014 and even now, after receiving university offers, I wish to apply to universities better suited to me rather than putting down any university that was 'good' as I had done so beforehand.

If I reject all offers and reapply whilst on my gap year (to different universities that hadn't received my previous application) will this put me at a disadvantage (because I am taking a gap year)? Or will it be fine considering I will already have my A levels so there is no risk of me failing/missing the offer? I am thinking of applying to Durham, St.Andrews, UCL and the rest undecided. It is still early days, but I am just trying to prepare myself and stop panicking about the 'risk' of taking a gap year.
I just did not expect any university offers whatsoever this year. I feel as though I will make much better decisions this year, and I would really like a year out to clear my head and prepare myself for undergraduate study. If, theoretically, I received A*A*A*B will I have the same chance as other applicants with just as good grades or not because I will be a year older? Thanks.
It won't be to your detriment applying next year after a gap year. In fact having your grades already will mean you know what Unis you have high enough grades to apply to. You will probably get quicker offers and they will be unconditional!
Reply 2
Original post by louisewestlake
It won't be to your detriment applying next year after a gap year. In fact having your grades already will mean you know what Unis you have high enough grades to apply to. You will probably get quicker offers and they will be unconditional!

I certainly didn't think about that. Thank you for your input :smile:
some admission tutors would like everyone to have a gap year as they think you are less likely to drop out.It's only a disadvantage if you get worse grades than predicted, as narrow misses may still be accepted.
Reply 4
Original post by parentlurker
some admission tutors would like everyone to have a gap year as they think you are less likely to drop out.It's only a disadvantage if you get worse grades than predicted, as narrow misses may still be accepted.

Ah I see. If I exceed the entrance requirements will I still be in a comfortable position? Am I stressing unnecessarily? I'm guessing that taking a gap year will not make my application much different from others except I will already have my grades so unconditional offers can be made.
Original post by mechanism
Ah I see. If I exceed the entrance requirements will I still be in a comfortable position? Am I stressing unnecessarily? I'm guessing that taking a gap year will not make my application much different from others except I will already have my grades so unconditional offers can be made.

If you exceed the entrance requirement or even match it you'll normally get an unconditional offer. There are some exceptions where universities (like Oxbridge) normally have a lot of applicants who exceed their stated requirement but if you get A"AAB you'd have a chance if you reapplied to Oxford. Universities like achieved grades because they know a lot of predicted grades are overesimates so they'd nrmally take you in preference to someone predicted the same grades. Reapplicants are also often first in accommodation queues.
Reply 6
If you exceed the entrance requirement or even match it you'll normally get an unconditional offer. There are some exceptions where universities (like Oxbridge) normally have a lot of applicants who exceed their stated requirement but if you get A"AAB you'd have a chance if you reapplied to Oxford. Universities like achieved grades because they know a lot of predicted grades are overesimates so they'd nrmally take you in preference to someone predicted the same grades. Reapplicants are also often first in accommodation queues.

That's great to hear :smile: thanks for your help.
That's great to hear :smile: thanks for your help.

Just realised I misread what they said about your grades. If you get A*A*A*B it would definitely be worth trying Oxford again, perhaps choosing a different college. You could even try Cambridge for Natural Sciences.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Just realised I misread what they said about your grades. If you get A*A*A*B it would definitely be worth trying Oxford again, perhaps choosing a different college. You could even try Cambridge for Natural Sciences.

I think the Biochemistry course at Oxford appeals to me more than NatSci. I have looked into it though! Are you currently studying at University at all?
I think the Biochemistry course at Oxford appeals to me more than NatSci. I have looked into it though! Are you currently studying at University at all?

No - my child is and some of my family have been involved in university admissions.
Reply 10
No - my child is and some of my family have been involved in university admissions.

Right! Should have guessed from your username haha. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending