The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by CD223
Hey guys,

As it's a little under 6 months until this exam I thought I would make the thread for all people on here who are going to be taking it!

Date: 18th June 2015
Time: 09:00am
Duration: 1h 45m

Any resources or revision tips people are willing to share?

I'm starting my A2 revision this week (hopefully! My revision timetables tend to die off after a few weeks or so), and mocks coming up 1st week of February... What helps for me usually with revision is to write out my notes in a condensed form and reading over them, and practice questions. And if I keep removing things I know from memory from the condensed notes, I end up with only a page or so for the last few weeks before the exam to keep going over which can be pretty useful for last minute revision!
Reply 21
Original post by Lau14
I'm starting my A2 revision this week (hopefully! My revision timetables tend to die off after a few weeks or so), and mocks coming up 1st week of February... What helps for me usually with revision is to write out my notes in a condensed form and reading over them, and practice questions. And if I keep removing things I know from memory from the condensed notes, I end up with only a page or so for the last few weeks before the exam to keep going over which can be pretty useful for last minute revision!

Ah thanks for the advice! How are you finding PHYA4 and PHYA5? I'm the same. I aim to start revising but I'm so behind mentally haha! Just need to start and not look back!
Reply 22
Original post by CD223
Ah thanks for the advice! How are you finding PHYA4 and PHYA5? I'm the same. I aim to start revising but I'm so behind mentally haha! Just need to start and not look back!

I'm not finding the content too difficult, but I've missed 11 hours of physics lessons last half term because of uni interview days which were all on a Wednesday when I have double physics and my teacher isn't great so I haven't actually caught up some of PHYA4 properly yet and I need to make some decent notes! (first task for physics revision: finish PHYA4 properly).

My motivation seems to get a little bit better every year with doing more revision work etc, so maybe between tsr and uni offers I can manage to keep revision going right up until May this year. I've already set up work to do tomorrow (my Tuesday timetable involves all of one hour of lessons, so I'm planning 4 hours of revision work each week just from that, plus a further hour in my Wednesday free when no one's around). We can totally do this!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Lau14
I'm not finding the content too difficult, but I've missed 11 hours of physics lessons last half term because of uni interview days which were all on a Eednesday when I have double physics and my teacher isn't great so I haven't actually caught up some of PHYA4 properly yet and I need to make some decent notes! (first task for physics revision: finish PHYA4 properly).

My motivation seems to get a little bit better every year with doing more revision work etc, so maybe between tsr and uni offers I can manage to keep revision going right up until May this year. I've already set up work to do tomorrow (my Tuesday timetable involves all of one hour of lessons, so I'm planning 4 hours of revision work each week just from that, plus a further hour in my Wednesday free when no one's around). We can totally do this!

I'm so glad to have found a revision buddy for this exam - sounds like you're really organised so I'm hoping that can rub off on me :colondollar:
Reply 24
Original post by CD223
I'm so glad to have found a revision buddy for this exam - sounds like you're really organised so I'm hoping that can rub off on me :colondollar:

My only problem is sticking with my organisation! (and I have to admit, tomorrow doesn't actually involve any physics work... oh well :biggrin: )
Reply 25
Original post by Lau14
My only problem is sticking with my organisation! (and I have to admit, tomorrow doesn't actually involve any physics work... oh well :biggrin: )

Ahaha. What other subjects do you do?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by CD223
Ahaha. What other subjects do you do?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chemistry and further maths, did a level maths last year (resitting core 3) and dropped biology after as. You?
Reply 27
Original post by Lau14
Chemistry and further maths, did a level maths last year (resitting core 3) and dropped biology after as. You?

Nice! I do A2 Maths, Physics, Computing and History :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by CD223
Nice! I do A2 Maths, Physics, Computing and History :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you applied to uni or do you have other plans after a level?
Reply 29
Original post by Lau14
Have you applied to uni or do you have other plans after a level?

Yeah I applied for BSc Computer science:smile: will probably firm bath and put Southampton as an insurance. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by CD223
Yeah I applied for BSc Computer science:smile: will probably firm bath and put Southampton as an insurance. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Physics (with astrophysics where offered). Probably going to firm Oxford and put Sheffield down for insurance, but I'm not certain yet :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by Lau14
Physics (with astrophysics where offered). Probably going to firm Oxford and put Sheffield down for insurance, but I'm not certain yet :smile:

Woah nice! I got rejected post-interview for Oxford :frown: which college did you get an offer from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by CD223
Woah nice! I got rejected post-interview for Oxford :frown: which college did you get an offer from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

:frown: St Hugh's, where did you interview?
Reply 33
Original post by CD223
Anyone doing astro?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, there's quite a lot of content
Reply 34
Original post by FN510
Yeah, there's quite a lot of content

Yeah there is! Sucks :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by Lau14
:frown: St Hugh's, where did you interview?

Woah nice! I stayed at St John's. Had one interview there and a second at St Hugh's funnily enough!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by CD223
Woah nice! I stayed at St John's. Had one interview there and a second at St High's funnily enough!

Posted from TSR Mobile

St John's is so big, I went and looked around on the open day back in June and some of the rooms were huge! I had two interviews at St Hugh's and one at Univ. How did you find yours?
Talking of weird coincidences though, my friend from college had his second interview (biological sciences) at St Hugh's and got an offer from there, so I may well end up going to Oxford with someone I've known for 6-7 years which is just really weird and unexpected!
Reply 37
Original post by Lau14
St John's is so big, I went and looked around on the open day back in June and some of the rooms were huge! I had two interviews at St Hugh's and one at Univ. How did you find yours?
Talking of weird coincidences though, my friend from college had his second interview (biological sciences) at St Hugh's and got an offer from there, so I may well end up going to Oxford with someone I've known for 6-7 years which is just really weird and unexpected!

Yeah my room for the interviews was massive! They probably rejected me because I required a big heating bill whilst I was there, Hahahaha.
Well, I didn't think it went well. And the MAT was atrocious so I didn't have much faith in my application. I enjoyed the interview experience though.

Woah that would be so cool!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by CD223
Yeah my room for the interviews was massive! They probably rejected me because I required a big heating bill whilst I was there, Hahahaha.
Well, I didn't think it went well. And the MAT was atrocious so I didn't have much faith in my application. I enjoyed the interview experience though.

Woah that would be so cool!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wish I could say that, my room was just a little on the cold side (I was in one of the older rooms, lots of windows and only single glazing...) and I couldn't find a way to turn the radiator up!
Yeah, I enjoyed staying there for interviews and everything, getting to meet some of the other applicants... Even enjoyed some of the interviews!
it probably would be, he's basically the nicest person we know and he'd probably be pretty easy to live with for 3-4 years
Reply 39
Original post by Lau14
Wish I could say that, my room was just a little on the cold side (I was in one of the older rooms, lots of windows and only single glazing...) and I couldn't find a way to turn the radiator up!
Yeah, I enjoyed staying there for interviews and everything, getting to meet some of the other applicants... Even enjoyed some of the interviews!
it probably would be, he's basically the nicest person we know and he'd probably be pretty easy to live with for 3-4 years

Ah mine was freezing the first night so I got the porters to check it out haha!

Ah well best of luck there! Sounds like you'd have no issue settling in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest