The Student Room Group

Social Work Degree 2015!

Hello! Been looking through the forums and cant find much on Social work degree! So, whos applied? Where you hoping to go? and has anyone had an interview date? Iv got one interview on the 30th of jan! Sounds difficult! Let me know your experiences! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I've applied to do social work at Nottingham Trent, Nottingham, Birmingham, Coventry and De Montfort. I have had interview offers from all but Birmingham so far!:smile: I have had one interview (at Nottingham Trent) and have one tomorrow at Coventry. I really want to go to Birmingham though :frown:.
In my opinion the individual interview was the hardest part. Mainly because the focus is on you and you have no idea what they are going to ask.
The group interview is OK. We were given a case study and had to discuss our reactions and any possible interventions.
In the exam, we were given 30 mins to answer the question 'What is the unique contribution of social work as a profession. Refer to theory and values in your discussion'. I was given the question beforehand so luckily got to plan it :smile: feel free to ask any questions and let me know where you're all applying!
Reply 2
Hi did you get that question at your nottingham trent interview?☺️I have mine there on the 26th and am so worried about the assessment and 1:1 interview😩
Reply 3
Hey ive got an interview on the 23rd..mines a group discussion, written test and 1:1 interview soo dreading this..but hopefully the preparation will pay off.
Ive applied to huddersfield and bradford

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello, I've been offered a place at Birmingham City & I have firmed it :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to say to everyone - GOOD LUCK! I am in my third year of the Social Work degree at Bournemouth and I have simply loved the course so I hope you all will too.

Please though I have one piece of advice - do remember when they ask you for interview that they already want to meet you. So you have already made an impression.

If you want some reading suggestions then sources like BASW and SCIE websites might be helpful - anything you can read about anti-oppressive practice is good and also start thinking about your own personal values and professional ethics. These are the kinds of things you might want to bring into an interview/group discussion as it shows you are thinking in the right direction.

So once again Good Luck and Congratulations.

Mish :smile:
Hey good luck everyone! Wish you the best. Don't worry about the interviews they are not that bad.

I have 5/5 offers fo social work: uni of birmingham, uni of York, uni of Leeds, Sheffield hallam and Nottingham Trent. I can't decide between the latter three on where to go!
Reply 7
Original post by Jessica9515
Hello, I've been offered a place at Birmingham City & I have firmed it :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! I've applied there too, when did you apply? and was there an interview?

Congratulations!

x
Reply 8
Original post by Socialwork123
Hey good luck everyone! Wish you the best. Don't worry about the interviews they are not that bad.

I have 5/5 offers fo social work: uni of birmingham, uni of York, uni of Leeds, Sheffield hallam and Nottingham Trent. I can't decide between the latter three on where to go!

Wow that's amazing! I've applied for Birmingham too, when did you apply? and how long did it take for them to contact you? Seriously stressing out here as I haven't heard anything from anywhere, no news is good news I suppose haha x
Original post by laidljod
Wow that's amazing! I've applied for Birmingham too, when did you apply? and how long did it take for them to contact you? Seriously stressing out here as I haven't heard anything from anywhere, no news is good news I suppose haha x

Thank you so much! I applied in September and didn't hear anything from the universities until end of October. My first interview was at Birmingham and that was November 5th. It took another two weeks to hear from them that I got in. To be honest, I didn't hear back until at least 1 week- 3 weeks for all of the universities. That's right - no news is good news! When did you apply and have your interview? Where else have you applied? Do you have any more upcoming interviews that I could try and advise you on? Let me know :smile:
Thank you so much! I applied in September and didn't hear anything from the universities until end of October. My first interview was at Birmingham and that was November 5th. It took another two weeks to hear from them that I got in. To be honest, I didn't hear back until at least 1 week- 3 weeks for all of the universities. That's right - no news is good news! When did you apply and have your interview? Where else have you applied? Do you have any more upcoming interviews that I could try and advise you on? Let me know :smile:

My application only got confirmed on the 5th of jan! how was the interview at Birmingham? No interviews yet but I have applied for Bath, UWE, Birmingham and Birmingham City. Everyone else in my class is having interviews and offers and I'm getting so nervous!x
Don't worry about it because you applied before the deadline so they will give you a fair chance. Last year when I was at college, a girl didn't apply until January, yet she still got in at university! I am sure you will be fine.

Birmingham University

The day consisted of a written test, analysing a case study and an individual interview. The written test is based on a theme in social work such as: advocacy, anti-oppressive and anti-discriminatory practice etc. They give you a two-sided piece on this subject (where lots of info will be and you must try and use it, but in your own words!) and then ask you a question about it such as what is the importance of advocacy. There are usually bullet points telling you what you should include.

After this there was an informative talk about the university and the course which is really useful. At this point we were allocated a time for the interview. If you live in Birmingham or surrounding areas then be prepared to have your interview a bit later than other people from different cities.

The ambassador takes you to the interview room where you have to wait for 15 minutes outside it. This is because you will be given a case study which you need to analyse. Act as the social worker and you will be fine. Make notes on the paper as you will be asked questions about this with the interviewers. I had a case study about a girl who was basically going through the same cycle as her two brothers who had 'gone off the rails'. The mother was neglecting them, but she loved them. The girl (15)homeless as she was sleeping on the sofas and was sleeping with her boyfriend (24). This is just an insight into what the case study will be like. The interviewers will ask questions like: what did you find? If given this case, what are your priorities (to do in just one day as we're not superwoman or superman)?

Top tips: Make sure you take in everything into account. If the girl is acting like that and so her brothers they are repeating the cycle (Mention something like that). May be they learnt this from their mother where they though this was the norm. Make sure you don't judge the mother. Another thing that is vital to do is to use the systems approach. Although you are safeguarding the young child, you must provide address the mothers needs. In the case there was mention that they were having financial problems. EMPOWER them to access the right services: benefits, housing advice etc. If you take into account everything (or as much as you can) then you will be fine!

The interview: They asked questions such as: why do you want to be a social worker, how will you deal with stress, how will you manage the demands of the course, tell us about your experience and what you have learnt from it, why this university, what do you want to get out of this course.

Sorry for the long message. The case study might not make sense now, but when you see yours you will know what I mean.It might not be the same as mine, but it will be on the same lines. Relax, smile, laugh and you will be fine.

Thank you, that's very helpful!

If I'm totally honest I'm more excited than nervous for the actual interview, its just the waiting that makes me nervous. I'll be sure to enjoy myself if I do have an interview as it's not something I want to be negative about through my nerves.

Thanks again!
x
Reply 12
I have applied to five Universities. I have being offered admission in Staffordshire University, 3 interviews which include De Montfort Universities, Worcester University and Wolverhampton University. Please kindly advice on comprehension test in these universities
Original post by chloe1997
Hi, I've applied to do social work at Nottingham Trent, Nottingham, Birmingham, Coventry and De Montfort. I have had interview offers from all but Birmingham so far!:smile: I have had one interview (at Nottingham Trent) and have one tomorrow at
Coventry. I really want to go to Birmingham though :frown:.
In my opinion the individual interview was the hardest part. Mainly because the focus is on you and you have no idea what they are going to ask.
The group interview is OK. We were given a case study and had to discuss our reactions and any possible interventions.
In the exam, we were given 30 mins to answer the question 'What is the unique contribution of social work as a profession. Refer to theory and values in your discussion'. I was given the question beforehand so luckily got to plan it :smile: feel free to ask any questions and let me know where you're all applying!

Hey when was your Nottingham interview? I had the same question also. I got an unconditional offer there. Also have another four offers elsewhere. Have you had all of your interviews?
Original post by laidljod
Hey! I've applied there too, when did you apply? and was there an interview?

Congratulations!

x

Sorry I only just saw this! I applied the end of October & had my interview just before xmas :smile: good luck! x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Iv had an interview today! Consisted of an interview with a lecturer and a social worker on my own, asking me questions about different situations and how I would cope with them. Then we were given an essay to write on poverty which was quite easy. After that we had a group discussion with a service user and a group of four of us. This went well. I would say the hardest part was the individual interview and researching beforehand is very important! Hope this helps :-)
I have an interview for Birmingham on the 4th of March! I cried in so happy hahaha x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I now have an interview for Birmingham on the 4th and Birmingham city on the 17th! thank you so much for your help it really is going to come in handy!xx
Hi, how was your interview at coventry uni. I got mine next week and I will like to find out, how ur experience was and what should I be expecting
Original post by Abi940
Hi did you get that question at your nottingham trent interview?☺️I have mine there on the 26th and am so worried about the assessment and 1:1 interview😩

Hi Abi, I know i'm late to this thread but how was the interview at Trent? I've applied for Social Work BA for 2016 entry and have applied at Uni of Nottm, Nottingham Trent & Derby (really want trent though) I have had recieved confirmation today of my first interview at Trent on the 17th Dec & i'm both nervous & excited! Any tips would be fab x

Quick Reply

Latest