The Student Room Group

6 IGCSE's in 5 months?

Hi guys I am getting back to education after 10 years. I have forgotton all what i studied at school backhome. I would like to ask I am trying to attempt 6 IGCSE's Biol, Bhemistry, Physics, Maths, English and business studies in June. Is it possible to prepare these in 5 months. How much time do you guys think I require per week to get A grades ?

Your help will be much appreciated.
Kind regards.
Original post by Sye664
Hi guys I am getting back to education after 10 years. I have forgotton all what i studied at school backhome. I would like to ask I am trying to attempt 6 IGCSE's Biol, Bhemistry, Physics, Maths, English and business studies in June. Is it possible to prepare these in 5 months. How much time do you guys think I require per week to get A grades ?

Your help will be much appreciated.
Kind regards.

This will ultimately depend on your dedication, and general ability to learn - if you are dedicated and willing to put in the effort, I think it will be just about possible - however, it really would take a large amount of effort to be honest. Would these be being all self-taught, any tutors...???
Reply 2
Original post by mobbsy91
This will ultimately depend on your dedication, and general ability to learn - if you are dedicated and willing to put in the effort, I think it will be just about possible - however, it really would take a large amount of effort to be honest. Would these be being all self-taught, any tutors...???

Thanks for your reply... All self taught mate I had purchased books. And i am planning to just give it all five months. I might use cloudlearn for maths. Both my younger sisters are doctors they will help me with physics and chemistry I am good at biology as Have done half a book in 15 days already.
Hi... What textbooks have you bought? I'm doing the same.
Original post by Sye664
Thanks for your reply... All self taught mate I had purchased books. And i am planning to just give it all five months. I might use cloudlearn for maths. Both my younger sisters are doctors they will help me with physics and chemistry I am good at biology as Have done half a book in 15 days already.

Ok - Khan academy is also very good for maths by the way!
Reply 5
Original post by mobbsy91
Ok - Khan academy is also very good for maths by the way!

This is true :smile: my calculus teacher has even created a class on Khan academy for us.

Also, for biology and chemistry John/Hank Green (vlogbrothers) do a series called 'Crash Course' that goes through the basics for the sciences (except physics) and history.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by icerose2005
Hi... What textbooks have you bought? I'm doing the same.

For biology buy collins IGCSE it is in chunks very easy. For Physics and chemistry Pearssons. I am also taking help from you tube and ofcourse Khan academy. Visual learning is easy pal. Also make sure you watch lecture on you tube how to study smart not study hars one hour lecture will help you plan.
Original post by Sye664
For biology buy collins IGCSE it is in chunks very easy. For Physics and chemistry Pearssons. I am also taking help from you tube and ofcourse Khan academy. Visual learning is easy pal. Also make sure you watch lecture on you tube how to study smart not study hars one hour lecture will help you plan.

I'm thinking of cgp complete revision books. What do you think?
Reply 8
I am attempting IGCSE's am not sure of CGP will be helpful. If you try them out let us know about your experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sye664
I am attempting IGCSE's am not sure of CGP will be helpful. If you try them out let us know about your experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are they helpful with GCSEs? Because that's what i'm planning to sit.
Reply 11
Bro Do you know of any edexcel revision guides?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Hi!

i think it's totally possible! I'm in the exact same boat as you. I didn't even go to high school, only primary, then I dropped out to self study and basically travel around with my mum.
So when I went for my first round of IGCSE's last year (I only took three because I was sure I would fail) I only had three months to study extended level First language English and English Literature and Biology. I got an A* A and C :smile: C isn't the best ever, but I was so happy I cried lol!

This go around I have 4-5 months to study for maths, physics, chemistry, and A level psychology (I just completed A Level English and History).
The key is to identify your strengths and weaknesses and study accordingly. I didn't study AT ALL for either English IGCSE or A Level, yet I achieved my highest mark (93%). Because I knew I would do well. For biology I studied 4 hours a day but I literally started from scratch and my study method was iffy at best. I basically wrote down everything I read from one book. I'm surprised I even got a C. The only reason I even achieved that is I used the past papers in the very last two weeks.

So here are my tips:

Past papers and examiner reports are CRUCIAL. You need the former for everything, and i think the latter only for essay related papers such as English.
Print out all past papers and do them at least twice each.

For English choose the Narrative on your first paper - it's a story. Plan your story prior to the exam and then just mould the title on the paper to fit your story. Example - My story was about a hostile alien/demonic race that were unleashed upon humanity. The title on the paper was The Great Pretender, so totally unrelated. SO I made it that the Great Pretender (an old song by The Platters) was a vintage record that contained these trapped beings and when played unleashed the creatures.

English again - If you're not naturally inclined to this subject, write stories/letters and post them here for constructive criticism OR a friend/family member who has adequate skill to judge yours.

Learn the essay structure. I was surprised when people in my class wrote half a page. Aim for two, and a good rule of thumb is 8 paragraphs.

Make a revision timetable. It could be an hour of each subject per day, or half an hour each, or three subjects one day and three the next, or one day ONLY past papers and the next only books, etc. Just to give you some ideas. I liked to dedicate some study days to things like spider charts (for Literature) or online quizzes for History and Biology. Breaking it up can really help keep it from crushing your soul lol.

Stay active outside of studying, don't let it consume you. I trained for my first 5k run in five weeks during studying so I could run the Midnight Bangkok 'Marathon'! And I took up body building. Went shopping. Read and watched the entire Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones series. Took myself for apple pie every Saturday haha. Anything that keeps you alive.

Finally (but should be first for you) get a workbook/revision guide for each subject and before you begin check the syllabus! It outlines everything you have to learn and prevents time wasting. And once again read the examiner reports. These are the people who mark you, they're telling you what's crap
And what they actually want to see. Invaluable.

Wow, that was...long. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest