The Student Room Group

Studying In California - A wise decision?

Hi guys,

I've been having trouble recently regarding where I should study for university. I am from Toronto, Canada, and I am in the international baccalaureate program (IB). I really want to study in California, because that is where aerospace is big (the field I wish to go into). But, I also wish to study there as it would be such a nice place to live. There are mountains and a beach all within 1 hour, so I could swim or go mountain biking often. The climate is also nice since I wouldn't have to dress beyond a sweater, and I'm sort of sick of the cold (ironic coming from a Canadian :biggrin:). But what if I could just stay in Canada and go to a university here, and end up getting the same caliber job? Would it be worth it paying high US tuition and moving far from my family? That's my question; is it dumb to want to study somewhere else just because it would be nice to live there, and is it worth it?

This is my first Post, just wanted to ask fellow students about their opinions :smile:

Thank you :biggrin:

PS: I would like to go to Caltech, but if I don't, will it be worth it to go to done other California uni?
There are fabulous universities in and near California. The University of california group has famous universities under them. Once you graduate from such universities with a great degree, you're sure to get job in competitive fields and in top notch companies. I guess it is worth spending more money and studying somewhere good. Don't worry about money now. Just focus on building up your life. Many universities in US offer scholarships, make sure you look into them. Give SAT and if you score well, many universities will fund your whole studies. I know this because my friend recently got admission in UC- Los Angeles.
Reply 2
Original post by NerdyMeg
There are fabulous universities in and near California. The University of california group has famous universities under them. Once you graduate from such universities with a great degree, you're sure to get job in competitive fields and in top notch companies. I guess it is worth spending more money and studying somewhere good. Don't worry about money now. Just focus on building up your life. Many universities in US offer scholarships, make sure you look into them. Give SAT and if you score well, many universities will fund your whole studies. I know this because my friend recently got admission in UC- Los Angeles.

Thank you, this is very helpful! :smile: I have actually looked into the UC group (LA and Berkeley and such). My option for if I stay in Canada is university of Toronto, which is ranked #1 uni in Canada. My worry is that if I go to a university in California that is below UofT,I might regret it later :frown: . Is that a concern, or am I just worrying too much?
Original post by sodoge
Thank you, this is very helpful! :smile: I have actually looked into the UC group (LA and Berkeley and such). My option for if I stay in Canada is university of Toronto, which is ranked #1 uni in Canada. My worry is that if I go to a university in California that is below UofT,I might regret it later :frown: . Is that a concern, or am I just worrying too much?

Rankings are b*******. Im sorry but I have to use this word. CalTech and UC group is far reputed and respected than UoT. UoT is great, I must agree but you see University of California Berkeley is even more reputed than UoT. You shouldnt really care about ranking overall but yes, look into the department where you are interested. I'll suggest to get admission where the department is really strong and reputed.
Berkeley or Caltech otherwise just go Toronto.
Reply 5
Original post by Nitrogen
Berkeley or Caltech otherwise just go Toronto.

Yea, that's what is sort of the plan :biggrin: what about other UC locations? Is Berkeley the best one? Just curious
Original post by sodoge
Yea, that's what is sort of the plan :biggrin: what about other UC locations? Is Berkeley the best one? Just curious

Berkeley is great but LA is better xD who doesnt like hollywood.
What aerospace program are you going into?
California is very nice, although the $35,000+/yr (CAN) tuition (that excludes residence and other notable fees such as health insurance) could make you weep money like Niagara Falls... You have to really think about the reputation vs. cost balance vs. program ranking vs. social life before residing. This is particularly true for private universities like USC, where tuition itself is $50,000/yr minimum.

Do your OUAC and try to focus on Ontario universities first before the US schools. In that case, if you don't get into US schools, you at least have an "easier" backup.

It's noted that you are using TSR (Since it is usually for British people or people who are thinking of going into UK unis )... Then again, CollegeBoard is more like "2400 SAT, 40 EC's, 7 President Positions/ Harvard/... I don't think I could make it in/ Chance?"

- Toronto residing student.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Berkeley is great but LA is better xD who doesnt like hollywood.

Hahaha yup :smile: But I'm still wondering: is it a bad idea to go to a uni in a certain place because it's a nice location(in this case Cali)?
And does it even matter if I would be living in a nice climate with great surroundings, would it make a difference?
Original post by sodoge
Hahaha yup :smile: But I'm still wondering: is it a bad idea to go to a uni in a certain place because it's a nice location(in this case Cali)?
And does it even matter if I would be living in a nice climate with great surroundings, would it make a difference?

Climate doesn't make any difference.

location does.

Toronto is a great city if you are considering location wise.

Great surrounding helps alot. See, your university life is what you make it. Even though ones main focus should be studying, city life and social life is an important factor. You don't want to just study 24x7. A better city means better opportunities. You'll meet people from different walks of life.

that doesn't mean you'll base your choices on that. The most important factor should be your departments strength. Don't just follow the "herd mentality" and go to CalTech or UCB just because they are highly rated. UoT might be great in the department/course you want to study. So make sure you research alot before applying.
Reply 10
Climate doesn't make any difference.

location does.

Toronto is a great city if you are considering location wise.

Great surrounding helps alot. See, your university life is what you make it. Even though ones main focus should be studying, city life and social life is an important factor. You don't want to just study 24x7. A better city means better opportunities. You'll meet people from different walks of life.

that doesn't mean you'll base your choices on that. The most important factor should be your departments strength. Don't just follow the "herd mentality" and go to CalTech or UCB just because they are highly rated. UoT might be great in the department/course you want to study. So make sure you research alot before applying.

Again, thank you, this is good advice :smile:. I think that California would be a good location for me, as I enjoy mountain biking, and mountains in general :biggrin:. Also, I am a competitive swimmer, and particularly enjoy practicing in outdoor pools, which would be common in Cali. As for department, I understand California is a core place for aerospace, the field in interested in. Of course Toronto will have this, to whatever extent, but I think California will be an interesting experience for me.

So thank you, this was really bothering me, and you have helped me direct myself :smile:
Original post by sodoge
Again, thank you, this is good advice :smile:. I think that California would be a good location for me, as I enjoy mountain biking, and mountains in general :biggrin:. Also, I am a competitive swimmer, and particularly enjoy practicing in outdoor pools, which would be common in Cali. As for department, I understand California is a core place for aerospace, the field in interested in. Of course Toronto will have this, to whatever extent, but I think California will be an interesting experience for me.

So thank you, this was really bothering me, and you have helped me direct myself :smile:

All the best for your life ahead :3

PS: I am applying to Caltech, UCB, UCLA and UCSD this year :3
Do understand California is extremely extremely expensive. Especially the UC schools. My college counselor told me they weren't that popular until about 10 years ago, when they realized they were in desperate need of money and so started reaching out to out-of-state and international students in order to get more students who pay the astronomical tuition. You won't get money from them, you'd have to find private scholarships or other ways of funding your studies. Yes, California is nice, but if you can study somewhere for cheaper and then move to California to work it might save you a lot of stress down the road. Lots of people who have already been through college say that what sounds like its worth $250,000 at the beginning isn't really worth that much in the end, so I would think really really hard about whether this is the right choice for you financially.
Original post by sodoge
Hi guys,

I've been having trouble recently regarding where I should study for university. I am from Toronto, Canada, and I am in the international baccalaureate program (IB). I really want to study in California, because that is where aerospace is big (the field I wish to go into). But, I also wish to study there as it would be such a nice place to live. There are mountains and a beach all within 1 hour, so I could swim or go mountain biking often. The climate is also nice since I wouldn't have to dress beyond a sweater, and I'm sort of sick of the cold (ironic coming from a Canadian :biggrin:). But what if I could just stay in Canada and go to a university here, and end up getting the same caliber job? Would it be worth it paying high US tuition and moving far from my family? That's my question; is it dumb to want to study somewhere else just because it would be nice to live there, and is it worth it?

This is my first Post, just wanted to ask fellow students about their opinions :smile:

Thank you :biggrin:

PS: I would like to go to Caltech, but if I don't, will it be worth it to go to done other California uni?

There are tons of other universities in California. But if you want to study aerospace, I'd recommend Berkeley. UCLA is nice. I've visited before and weather is amazing. I'm not sure how good their aerospace/engineering type programs are though.

Also, no one has mentioned Stanford?!?!? STANFORD IS AMAZING! I think they have the resources to give you aid.
Caltech, Berkeley, UCLA, or Stanford -- Otherwise, you might want to just stick to Toronto (unless you're interested in other schools in the US or elsewhere).

To answer your question: a lot of people actually want to stick around Northern California because of the climate, so you aren't alone in wanting to live there for that reason. Of course, in the end, it's the degree that's most important, but Northern CA has just about a perfect climate -- It's basically 70 degrees and sunny all year round! :smile: And there are great unis in the area!
If you're going to Stanford, USC or UCLA then yes, you'll find that Cali study is perfect otherwise forget studying in Cali.
Reply 16
Will your parents be able to pay full freight? If they can't, re-think going to out of state/expensive private colleges in the U.S because as an international applicant many of these universities are need aware (Stanford et al.) and in some cases don't even offer international applicants financial aid.

I seriously recommend you attend a college in Canada - its way cheaper. Attend the best university you can get into for your intended major, work hard, do internships etc and I'm sure you'll be able to get the job your interested in!
Reply 17
Congrats on aspiring high. Caltech is a world renowned institute as well as for your chosen field of study. There are other equally good universities in California that you could aim for as well including Stanford, Berkeley. Attending any one of these institutions will open you to a worl of significant opportunities. You will also be in an environment rich with start-up-like minded folks. Who know - you may found your own company totally unrelated to Aerospace? Apply to good schools in Canada as well. Expand your options and opportunities.
You aren't going to be mountain biking much if your actually going to uni there. There just isn't that much time, well unless you sacrifice something else. Stanford is too difficult to get in for most people, but obviously if you get in there it isn't a question choose Stanford.

Berkeley is not much better than Toronto, both are the same type of school, large public, with Toronto being not very competitive while Berkeley is competitive, but both schools wouldn't make my jaw drop like Stanford would.

Just stay in Canada, consider Waterloo as well.
(edited 9 years ago)
As far as California goes then there is no questioning the reputation of Stanford and Caltech, two of the best in the world and ok Berkely too even if it is a public college lol *snort*.

UCLA is pretty good, could argue USC but those 3 are the only ones I'd have left the UK for, maybe UCLA but UCLA tends to portray itself more as a "fun school" of parties and sporty as opposed to the academic rigor of Stanford and Caltech.

But if you did get offers from Stanford or Caltech I'm not sure if if it's even a question worth considering, you would accept and go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending