The Student Room Group

I want to see a counsellor/therapist?

I've been feeling down for ages, like I feel like I've never been truly happy and I have suicidal thoughts from time to time, this has been going on for a few years, so I want to see someone about it

But I don't know how to, I don't want to go through my college about it, do I just go to my GP and ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, visit your GP. They will beable to talk you through the options once you have explained how you feel. Best of luck!
Original post by IAmEchelon
I've been feeling down for ages, like I feel like I've never been truly happy and I have suicidal thoughts from time to time, this has been going on for a few years, so I want to see someone about it

But I don't know how to, I don't want to go through my college about it, do I just go to my GP and ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you want to see someone quickly then private is best. You're probably looking at £55 for 50 minutes or so. If you go to the GP you'll be put on a waiting list which can take ages.
Reply 3
Original post by McNuggetsAhoy
If you want to see someone quickly then private is best. You're probably looking at £55 for 50 minutes or so. If you go to the GP you'll be put on a waiting list which can take ages.

The problem is I haven't got £55

Posted from TSR Mobile
The problem is I haven't got £55

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could try the free online CBT course called Moodgym?
Go to your GP. I'm going through the same thing. It'll only escalate if you don't.
Go to your GP. They can assess how serious the problem may be and what treatment is best.

I did the same when I was 15 and I had counselling on the NHS. It took a while for it to start after the initial referral but it was worth it to have someone external (and professional) to talk to.
Reply 7
Go to your GP. The first step is often the hardest.
Reply 8
How long does it take be referred?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd advise seeking help from both your GP and perhaps also your school; see what the GP can do for you, but also see what your school is able to offer you.

Back when I was in sixth form I was going through some tough times I spoke to my head of sixth form - she managed within a couple of weeks to arrange for a counsellor to come and talk to me once a week.

I hope you get the help you're looking for - if you need anyone to talk to we're always here :smile:
How long does it take be referred?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If the GP thinks you need it you'll be referred straight away but you could be waiting months for your initial appointment since it probably won't be seen as urgent (unfortunately).

I was lucky and got an appointment 6 weeks after seeing the GP but then I was referred to EIP which is different and generally for people in a bad shape (which I was at the time).
Reply 11
I've just sent a reply to someone else... I hope it helps you... here it is.

I offer reductions for for Students, face to face and Skype :smile:

Title: I feel like im giving up..

Hiya, I'm a Coach & Therapist, I hope this helps you... I've split your text up so that I can comment on all the parts:

Original post by HelenTheCupcake
I constantly have the feeling that im standing in front of millions of people and everyones looking at me.
It's common for people to feel that they are being looked at.
You can begin to overcome this by imagining a more positive emotion... As it's the emotional charge of this that causes the problem. Start imagining that you are happy with people looking at you. Imagine and tell yourself how good you are (instead of speaking to yourself negatively.... there are enough people who can say awful things... so we need to learn to, at least, be kind and talk kindly to ourselves, agree?)

You know the nervous butterflies you get in your stomach?
Which way do the feeling spin..... Every time you notice... imagine spinning the feelings the opposite way.
Imagine changing the colour into the best colour that you like.

I have it all the time, its like a dropping feeling, constantly. I feel empty, i cant see the good in anything.
Notice that 'you' are thinking and feeling this way... and you can begin to take control back to pull this back and move toward 'feeling good' more and more.

Ask good questions (that get your brain to give you good answers).
ie.. Do not ask "How much worse will this get" because your brain is wired to find as many answers for you as it can.. and that would re-enforce negative thinking and then bad feelings.

Instead ask, "How can I move forward", "What action can I take now to enjoy my life more, "What do I love to do" (dancing / biking / nature walks etc).... The more things you do that make you happy the more your 'feel good chemicals' will fill your body and the more your mind will start to want this more (instead of giving up / sleeping).

Maybe you need to find 'your purpose' more.... So that you have something real, important and fulfilling to get out of bed for.

Remember foods also that help... eg... bananas have serotonin in etc... keep with natural food more to get your balance back.

, i just always want to be asleep, so i dont have to face the world. I'm surrounded by so many people, but i still feel so alone.

There's a difference with being 'with lots of people' and being with 'kind people who truly care about you and aren't scared to get close enough to help you'.... Maybe a re-assessment of who you share your time would help... Sometimes time on our own, perhaps listening to our favourite music, while imagining how you are going to make your life better and where you want to be... can be much more productive. If you do have an one close.... love and hug them more... hugs release more happy chemicals!

Physically changing your posture also sends better messages to your brain.... If you look up, twiddle your toes and smile, I guarantee your feelings will be happier.... listen to your favourite music whilst imagining how good your life is going to become... even better!

Its been going on for the past 2 months. I've had to deal with a lot in the past 2 months
There are mind techniques that can help you 'switch off' or attach better feelings to 'past experiences'.... Sometimes the best thing about the past is that it's over... if you can understand there is only 'right now' you can look towards enjoying just being... appreciating nature... meditating is a good way to switch off from 'past things' and also to switch off from present things if necessary... and it can help you feel better more and give you some 'rest bite' from your current reality (that will improve the more you focus of it improving'.

With our brains 'What you focus on is what you get'.... and 'What you think is how you feel'.

Remember whatever you think and feel... these are all 'programs' in your head... with millions of neurological connections.... you ARE changable and you can begin to create happier connections NOW... keep going... even a nice stretch in the morning... remembering, especially before bedtime, positives from the day (then you re-programme during your sleep).... this can be your new habit..... remember, with any habit... the more you do it the stronger it becomes.

Remember also, for any more negative talk, thinking.... tell yourself 'stop' and force your self to think.. and FEEL (importantly) a good thing.... new habit!

, and ever since, i just don't feel okay, i keep telling myself it will pass, its not passing, i don't want to be alive, i cant face whatever this is. I just don't know what to do any more, id do anything to stop feeling like this.

Please keep going..... be determined to bring a better life to yourself.. day by day... one step at a time... be happy whenever you move a step more in this better direction.... praise yourself, it's important... GOOD FEELINGS are important for you!

Please please keep going.... and you can inbox me if you want my help professionally with my full support.

Be determined, force yourself to find more ways that make you feel happy.. The thing is, if you have managed to make yourself so sad.... you also have the amazing capability to make yourself happy, with the same strength... how happy can you be then now!!

Love and hugs!
You get referred asap, but the time for actually getting appointments in takes ages (on the nhs).

Basically it could take any time between a month and half a year to actually start seeing a counsellor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Try online kooth they are great you can also reefer yourself to see face to face!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest