The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

GCSEs: 9 A*s and 2As
A-levels: maths further maths physics german (hopefully all to A2)
course: engineering science
college: don't really know. I quite like pembroke or oriel
Original post by theycallmeeli
Hi!
GCSE grades: (most were iGCSEs) 7A* 2A 1B (Drama :frown:( ) and an A* in Living Texts, lol
A-Levels: French, Latin, Ancient Greek, Maths (probably to AS)
Course: Classics and French
College: Brasenose? Not sure

I have the same GCSE grades as you! I also took some iGCSEs and got a B in Drama! YOU'RE MY TWIN.
GCSE grades: 10 A*s 1A
A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics (all to A2)
Course: Physics
College: idk lol :biggrin:
Original post by Chlorophile
Bit early for that, isn't it?! I started mine barely a month before the deadline.

Original post by Ibac
What extra activities did you do?

Original post by hopefulecon12
Yh it's way too early to start ps. ..

Hehe, just a bit curious :colondollar: I haven't started either, will probably do it during the summer. In Sweden (where I live) we don't really have extra curricular activities like in the U.S.. I am involved in a charity "club" at school though, and I plan to participate in both Model United Nations and European Youth Parliament next year. You?
Original post by Oakflame
Hehe, just a bit curious :colondollar: I haven't started either, will probably do it during the summer. In Sweden (where I live) we don't really have extra curricular activities like in the U.S.. I am involved in a charity "club" at school though, and I plan to participate in both Model United Nations and European Youth Parliament next year. You?

You need to understand that the British system is very different from the American system - British universities (Oxford and Cambridge in particular) do not care about extracurricular activities that are unrelated to the subject you're intending to study. They're much more interested in stuff like your outside reading. Take part in a MUN and the European Youth Parliament by all means if you want to, but unless it's directly related to the course you're intending to apply for, it's not going to help your application.
Reply 185

Well I have been headboy for two years, ambassador of the Elvis project (between many differents european schools),I play the piano, I daily swim and In the we play tennis. I'm studying spanish on my own
Original post by Chlorophile
You need to understand that the British system is very different from the American system - British universities (Oxford and Cambridge in particular) do not care about extracurricular activities that are unrelated to the subject you're intending to study. They're much more interested in stuff like your outside reading. Take part in a MUN and the European Youth Parliament by all means if you want to, but unless it's directly related to the course you're intending to apply for, it's not going to help your application.

Reeling off a list of activities, either academic or extra curricular, is of limited value. You can, however, incorporate material into a narrative of your strengths and achievements. For example, a PS might say that 'Climbing has assisted me in strengthening my ability to work as a team member and also to balance my academic studies with other activities.' Similarly, rather than just saying that your are passionate about studying X, you could present specific examples of super-curricular activities as demonstrating how you have discovered more about your chosen subject, reaffirming your belief that a degree in X is the right thing for you.
Things did not go well for me academically last year I failed my AS law, and I am retaking subjects however I am course to get A distinction in my BTEC IT and two A's in Film Studies and History. I absolutely love History but I was wondering IF I achieved my grades what do you think the chances of me being accepted to study History at Oxford? (Current requirements are AAA)
Original post by admissionshost
Reeling off a list of activities, either academic or extra curricular, is of limited value. You can, however, incorporate material into a narrative of your strengths and achievements. For example, a PS might say that 'Climbing has assisted me in strengthening my ability to work as a team member and also to balance my academic studies with other activities.' Similarly, rather than just saying that your are passionate about studying X, you could present specific examples of super-curricular activities as demonstrating how you have discovered more about your chosen subject, reaffirming your belief that a degree in X is the right thing for you.

Exactly what I was thinking! Mentioning extra-curricular activities without connecting them to the reasons why I want to study PPE, or why I have certain characteristics that will help me during my studies, is pointless. However, being a part of the European Youth Parliament and Model United Nations, will benefit me both in my studies and on a more personal level. So I think I'm okay on the extra-curricular part of my application.
Reply 189
Do you think that, for PPE, having studied other languages, such as spanish or french, is something useful for the application?
Original post by Ibac
Do you think that, for PPE, having studied other languages, such as spanish or french, is something useful for the application?

I don't think that studying Modern Languages offers advantages over other subjects in admissions terms. Mathematics on the other hand is important. Although it is not a formal requirement, the selectors will be conscious that an applicant lacking an aptitude for Maths will struggle with elements of the degree, particularly in First Year when it is not possible to drop Economics and in view of the fact that Logic is compulsory.
GCSE grades:International student:colondollar:
A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry (all to A2)
Course:Computer Science and Philosophy(probably,could be CS )
College: no idea:biggrin:
any hopeful oxford medics out there?
how are people getting along work experience/volunteering wise?
(what about ukcat/bmat and personal statement stuff, or is it too early) :eek:
Original post by misstac
any hopeful oxford medics out there?
how are people getting along work experience/volunteering wise?
(what about ukcat/bmat and personal statement stuff, or is it too early) :eek:

Hiya! :biggrin:
I am a hopeful Oxford medic too.
Work experience is so hard to get haha, I completely underestimated how difficult it would be! I have got quite a bit organised though, so hopefully it will be enough! I also have a permanent volunteering placement :smile:

As for UKCAT, BMAT etc. I'm leaving that until later- I can barely remember what I did three days ago so if I started looking at the admissions test stuff I'd have forgotten it!!

Are you thinking of applying to the Oxford UNIQ programme?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emem2011
Hiya! :biggrin:
I am a hopeful Oxford medic too.
Work experience is so hard to get haha, I completely underestimated how difficult it would be! I have got quite a bit organised though, so hopefully it will be enough! I also have a permanent volunteering placement :smile:

As for UKCAT, BMAT etc. I'm leaving that until later- I can barely remember what I did three days ago so if I started looking at the admissions test stuff I'd have forgotten it!!

Are you thinking of applying to the Oxford UNIQ programme?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i go to a private school so im not eligible for UNIQ :/

Oh god work experience! I did a week in a hospital last summer and i have a week lined up in easter and then another in july- but boy did i struggle to get those!

awesome on the volunteering!

are you doing any healthcare related work experience? ive written to my pharmacy..

Ive had a look through some ukcat questions but yeah im going to leave that till after exams! I want to take in in early august probably - what about you?

(also, are you doing any extra reading yet) :eek: :colone:
How far has everyone got with their choices and applications? Anyone started on the personal statement yet?

heya:colone:

im beginning to gather my thoughts about what im going to write, but im waiting to do more work experience before i really get going with it

have you started writing yours?
How far has everyone got with their choices and applications? Anyone started on the personal statement yet?

Not really. I still don't know what I want to do - I'm hoping a Taster Day at UCL will help me make my mind up about what course I want to do. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by misstac
heya:colone:

im beginning to gather my thoughts about what im going to write, but im waiting to do more work experience before i really get going with it

have you started writing yours?

No, I haven't started. I will probably start during the summer! :smile: Right now I am at the stage where I have to decide what schools I want to apply to. Oxford is a given, but the others I'm not entirely sure about :redface:
Original post by misstac
i go to a private school so im not eligible for UNIQ :/

Oh god work experience! I did a week in a hospital last summer and i have a week lined up in easter and then another in july- but boy did i struggle to get those!

awesome on the volunteering!

are you doing any healthcare related work experience? ive written to my pharmacy..

Ive had a look through some ukcat questions but yeah im going to leave that till after exams! I want to take in in early august probably - what about you?

(also, are you doing any extra reading yet) :eek: :colone:

Ah that's rubbish :frown: what are your stats if you don't mind me asking, and what are you doing for A Level? :biggrin:

You're so lucky to have done work experience already! I was so pleased to get the volunteering placement, it took a lot of work to organise haha!

I'm hoping to do the UKCAT around the same time as you too- after the exams but before A2s start :smile: I want to make sure I've done a lot of work towards it as I know you can just flop on the day! I haven't done much extra reading because I'm so busy, although hopefully I'll start doing some in the next few months.
What other universities are you hoping to apply to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, I haven't started. I will probably start during the summer! :smile: Right now I am at the stage where I have to decide what schools I want to apply to. Oxford is a given, but the others I'm not entirely sure about :redface:

what course are you applying for? :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending