The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Molly_xox
Yeah, from what I've heard Wadham's a great place to be! It's quite popular on the forums too :smile:

What's St Peter's like? I don't know much except it's small :tongue:
Reply 561
Original post by un_willing
Yeah, I think people doing sole languages had a 'general' interview, but I didn't have one of those as applied to do two (French & Beginner's Russian). I can definitely say they were intense though - I had four interviews altogether! Hope you got a chance to have a look round Lincoln - it's really friendly and compact, as is Jesus I believe, and apparently has a reputation for the best food in the university! :smile:

I 100% agree about the intensity- they were definitely challenging!
Original post by DodoManiac
Yeah, it wasn't a proper test - I was given a text to read and questions to think about in timed, controlled conditions. Then we discussed it in the interview, I wasn't really thinking clearly and it went pretty badly but oh well...
Ja, ich spreche sehr gern Deutsch (aber nicht so gut hahaa)!!

It can't have gone too badly =p
Ahh, wir sollen zusammen sprechen!
Hmmm, I picked up Japanese because I was interested in the culture (which I am not really anymore, but it was enjoyable so continued), then Mandarin seemed like a good thing to learn =d and it would also help with the Japanese! (which it does…but it also confuses me at times too >.<) Why did you choose to study French and German? Because those are what are available to us in school?
Ahh, at least you can do some very quickly! And in the exam you get a choice so as long as enough come up that you can do…if you get three questions done that’s pretty good going, I don’t think you’d need 6 for a 1. But then again, they don’t really say how they mark it =d
Original post by Lau14
If it's an unconditional offer you should already have your A levels (or equivalent) and you would probably need to? If you have completed your A levels, I would wait until it comes through on UCAS maybe and see if it says anything about it on there, and if not maybe email your college and ask if they need proof. If you haven't completed your A levels, you shouldn't need to do anything :smile:

I've already gotten my A level results during the time I applied for the course. In the confirmation email/letter, it was only mentioned that the confirmation of the offer would be updated in UCAS a few weeks later, without any mentioning of the need to provide proof of my results. So I'll just have to wait right? Thanks
Reply 564
Original post by hermit17
I've already gotten my A level results during the time I applied for the course. In the confirmation email/letter, it was only mentioned that the confirmation of the offer would be updated in UCAS a few weeks later, without any mentioning of the need to provide proof of my results. So I'll just have to wait right? Thanks

Yeah, my advice would be see what the UCAS offer says and then email them if there's no mention :smile: or email them now if you're worried about it, I doubt they'll mind
Original post by StarvingAutist
What's St Peter's like? I don't know much except it's small :tongue:

Yeah it is quite small and cosy, but situated pretty centrally and has a pretty church :lol: anyone I've ever met from there has been really friendly as well so that's always a good sign!
Yeah, it wasn't a proper test - I was given a text to read and questions to think about in timed, controlled conditions. Then we discussed it in the interview, I wasn't really thinking clearly and it went pretty badly but oh well...
Ja, ich spreche sehr gern Deutsch (aber nicht so gut hahaa)!!
Reading some Kant would be cool, I've looked briefly at his ideas but not in much detail, and not in German! Ooh, Japanese and Mandarin sound good! Why those languages?
Hmm, I'm not very consistent with STEP. Some questions I can do in 30/40 mins quite easily but sometimes I get nowhere in a few hours. And to answer 4-6 well on one paper will be very tricky... Then Bristol's AAA is so easy in comparison.. Bit of a dilemma!
Sounds nice :smile:

I spoke a bit of German in my interview even though I'm applying for Geology!
Reply 567
Original post by un_willing
Yeah, I think people doing sole languages had a 'general' interview, but I didn't have one of those as applied to do two (French & Beginner's Russian). I can definitely say they were intense though - I had four interviews altogether! Hope you got a chance to have a look round Lincoln - it's really friendly and compact, as is Jesus I believe, and apparently has a reputation for the best food in the university! :smile:

Yes, that makes sense about the general interviews. That's quite a lot! Relieved that all the hard work paid off. I only saw Licoln briefly but am hoping to have another look round before October, and yes I'm looking forward to trying the food :smile: it's a very pretty college and seems friendly too. The student helpers there were lovely and helped me to relax when I got there.
Reply 568
Original post by emilhay6
There was a girl from Newcastle who just kept making me feel really southern! But I did mention a jitty while we were all out in Oxford and nobody knew what I was talking about :biggrin: no I applied to Worcester to start with (I didn't apply to Catz for the same reason as you) but looking at it now, it's got most of the reasons why applied to Worcester in the first place so I am definitely not complaining! :smile: So when do you find out which one you'll actually be going to? I looked at Somerville when I was trying to decide because it's so close to the maths department - I could literally have just rolled out of bed in the mornings and been there in 5 minutes!

I think the closest person I was aware of was a boy from Liverpool, but us "Northerners" (we're not even Northern!) are definitely a minority! :') haha I can't even think what else I would call a jitty... an alleyway maybe?
I haven't visited Worcester but if it's similar to St Catz then it must be nice! What were the reasons you applied there? I'll be allocated to a college after results day, as where I go will depend on the applicants who don't meet the entry requirements. It's strange not to know, but kind of exciting! And I'd definitely have gone with Somerville if I were you :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chlorophile
...it appears I've buggered up. Good thing walking distance wasn't the main factor! (Also it's a bit less if you use the back entrance, making it about as far as Exeter)

St Anne's back entrance closes in the evening though, and nobody can come out through it.
Wow, drastic :tongue: I bet you're glad you didn't haha

I applied to St John's but was reallocated to Wadham. I'm actually kind of glad, Wadham seems fun.

It's the most liberal college.

Literally everybody I know from Wadham is gay.
Original post by Yaz97
Okay so I haven't visited Wadham but it seems like soooo many people have offers from there, it must be a huge college?! Some undergraduate colleges don't seem to even have been mentioned on here yet someone mentions Wadham nearly every day!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, 400+.
Original post by Molly_xox
Yeah it is quite small and cosy, but situated pretty centrally and has a pretty church :lol: anyone I've ever met from there has been really friendly as well so that's always a good sign!

Sounds perfect! :tongue:

Original post by clh_hilary
It's the most liberal college.

Literally everybody I know from Wadham is gay.

Hopefully not literally everybody.. my romantic life is poor as it is, and I'm surrounded by straight people :lol:
Hi :smile: I asked for my MAT score and they said they'd be happy to tell me but are very busy atm so it might take a little while

Thanks, which college was that? What are you studying - straight maths or a compsci/combined course?
Original post by clh_hilary
St Anne's back entrance closes in the evening though, and nobody can come out through it.

Well I don't really know why I'd need to be going to the department in the evening on a regular basis.

Hopefully not literally everybody.. my romantic life is poor as it is, and I'm surrounded by straight people :lol:

Well, to be fair I don't know everybody from Wadham. The warden is not gay AFAIK. :cool:
Hi, any lawyers? What are you guys thinking of insuring? I can't decide because literally everything is the same offer. :smile:
Well I don't really know why I'd need to be going to the department in the evening on a regular basis.

Not the department necessarily, but it's also the short-cut to all of life's greatest offerings such as Tesco, Sainsbury, Primark, H&M, G&D, all the banks, Boots, University of Oxford Shop, Oxford University Press, Christ Church College, the botanical garden, Radcliffe Camera, the Ashmolean, etc.
Original post by BlueSkyeCloudyDay
Hi, any lawyers? What are you guys thinking of insuring? I can't decide because literally everything is the same offer. :smile:

If everything's the same offer then maybe don't bother having an insurance since there's no point anyway? I don't think an insurance is compulsory.
If everything's the same offer then maybe don't bother having an insurance since there's no point anyway? I don't think an insurance is compulsory.

There's a point in that because many, if not most universities accept people who cannot meet their conditions.

Latest

Trending

Trending