The Student Room Group

Should Parents with mental health issues be allowed to have children?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by andersonsophie_8
No one should be allowed to take someone elses rights away to make decisions for themselves.

But we see this done. Recently we saw

UN Vaccines in Kenya Used to Sterilize Women
http://www.thenewamerican.com/world-news/africa/item/19497-doctors-un-vaccines-in-kenya-used-to-sterilize-women

WHO used Sterilize Women in Philippines
http://www.globalresearch.ca/is-the-un-using-vaccines-to-secretly-sterilize-women-all-over-the-globe/5413599

There is a UN document which is called Agenda 21, which talks about population control to acheive sustainable development. It states in it tat they need to need to maintain the worlds population to 500,000,000. This means reducing the worlds population to 95%. I dont know how they will do that, but we have seen wars, global hunger, incase in people needing IVF, projects like this using vaccines.

Just make you wonder, if what you are calling for, for a select group of people, isnt already being implimented across the world now.

this ties back regularly to the abortion debate though. I am basically deciding whether my baby lives or dies, it has no choice in the matter, it's an embryo. Equally is it fair for my children to have their lives affected because of my decision?

I think once you are acting loco parentis you have an additional responsibility to look after your physical and mental health for the sake of your children. I.e. not shun treatment. This would have to be put forward very delicately however otherwise it could quite frankly lead to people making drastic decisions in grief/panic.

And all of this is dependent on someone 'coming out' with their illness in the first place, as it were. Short of police state screenings there is no way of enforcing this on the unwilling
Original post by james22
No, but they should be banned if the mental illness causes them to be unsuitable parents.

seconded
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
And all of this is dependent on someone 'coming out' with their illness in the first place, as it were...

Honestly: A child not treated well/abused will be taken out of a family, another not. To add the condition of mental illness is absolutely unnecessary, as the measurement should be the well-being of a child and not wether his parents fulfill certain criteria on paper. (Child A with loving and caring Bipolar mom and Child B with Mom, who is never there ... and you want to have child A been screened by police and child B can look for his own?) And you need no police screenings, as children are meant to be seen by doctors, schools, kindergartens, neighbours, etc. What shall the police do? Monitor everyone? Doing nightly surprise visits? By that you would harm more families, than you would help. The best way to identify parents who need support (the majority just need support and the situation will improve) is by started with the midwifes helping every newborn mom and then give appropriate suggestions and maybe talk through with parents what further options there are to get longterm support with the education of their children.
Original post by james22
No, but they should be banned if the mental illness causes them to be unsuitable parents.

How does anyone know that someone's mental illness will make another person an unsuitable parent?
Original post by Nathanielle
Honestly: A child not treated well/abused will be taken out of a family, another not. To add the condition of mental illness is absolutely unnecessary, as the measurement should be the well-being of a child and not wether his parents fulfill certain criteria on paper. (Child A with loving and caring Bipolar mom and Child B with Mom, who is never there ... and you want to have child A been screened by police and child B can look for his own?) And you need no police screenings, as children are meant to be seen by doctors, schools, kindergartens, neighbours, etc. What shall the police do? Monitor everyone? Doing nightly surprise visits? By that you would harm more families, than you would help. The best way to identify parents who need support (the majority just need support and the situation will improve) is by started with the midwifes helping every newborn mom and then give appropriate suggestions and maybe talk through with parents what further options there are to get longterm support with the education of their children.

I agree with you, hence impossible to enforce and the uncertainty/cautiousness of my answer.
Original post by OU Student
How does anyone know that someone's mental illness will make another person an unsuitable parent?

They judge them on their parenting ability, not their mental illness. It's just like when children are taken from sane, but bad parents. Although having certain mental illness should be a flag that there needs to be some checks made on that family to make sure everything is fine.
Original post by james22
They judge them on their parenting ability, not their mental illness. It's just like when children are taken from sane, but bad parents. Although having certain mental illness should be a flag that there needs to be some checks made on that family to make sure everything is fine.

Until,someon has a child's how do you assess their parenting ability?
Original post by OU Student
Until,someon has a child's how do you assess their parenting ability?

You don't, you see how they do when they have the child. What I'm saying is nothing more than what is done with parents who are not mentally ill, but still not suitable to look after their children. The only thing mental illness can do is suggest that there could be problems so social services should check up on the child.

Quick Reply

Latest