The Student Room Group

24 yr old likes 17 yr old

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reason and Logic
Umm I was married at 16 to someone over ten years older. I live in the UK.

Look up UK child protection laws and you will see that a child/minor is considered anyone up to and including age 17.
I'm guessing you needed parental consent for that.

Btw, its lovely how you stated someone above ignored your points, when you just ignored mine. Hypocritical.
Original post by Olderandwiser23
Under uk law she is not a legal adult. I didn't respond as I'm at work and can't be bothered as you Clearly havevery little understanding of UK law

I would rep you if I had any left. Nice to see someone else who actually understands the law in this thread
Original post by l'insegnante
Look up UK child protection laws and you will see that a child/minor is considered anyone up to and including age 17.

Btw, its lovely how you stated someone above ignored your points, when you just ignored mine. Hypocritical.

Is this the points you made 9 minutes ago that I am reading up on before I reply?

No I live in Scotland which I am sure you are aware is still part of the UK.

At the age of 16 someone can legally have sex with someone aged 16-17. However if someone over the age of 18 were to engage in sex with someone who is 16-17 it is considered a sex offence under the child protection laws of the UK as the 16/17 year old is still considered a minor.

Wrong and ironic that you see yourself as informed regarding UK law.

"Although teenagers of 16 or older can have sex it is illegal for someone in a "position of trust" - such as teachers, carers and doctors - to have sex with someone under 18." I do not remember him saying he was her teacher or in a position of trust.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21742512
Lol no wonder every guy avoids me like the plague I'm not jail bait ffs. I'm at uni I'm a woman! Considering she will be turning 18 soon and I'm sure you're intentions are genuine and you're not looking to take advantage of her then I don't see why not. I would just keep it quiet for a bit though and if the relationship does go anywhere and hopefully by then she would be 18, then you're in the clear. Personally for me it doesn't matter that much, I had a 30 year old guy ask me out but he was a right creep. You have more experience in life than she probably does and you may want different things so just make sure that you're both on the same page.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
i work with a girl who is 17 and have been friends for sometime. we have been talking and shes said she really likes me and wants more to happen, she acts mature and hangs around with my friend group of 20-26.i feel the same but am held back because of the age gap. another thing to mention is she will be 18 in a couple of weeks so there is a 6 year age gap. Ive never really been attracted to younger girls before but me and this girl have been talking alot and im growing closer to her.

What are your thoughts and opinions on this,

To be honest, there's nothing wrong with it. I wouldn't want to date anyone under 18 because I'm 21, but as you said she's 18 soon, and then there shouldn't be a problem. If you get on and feel comfortable around each other, then nothing wrong in it at all!
At the age of 16 someone can legally have sex with someone aged 16-17. However if someone over the age of 18 were to engage in sex with someone who is 16-17 it is considered a sex offence under the child protection laws of the UK as the 16/17 year old is still considered a minor.

Plain wrong

I would rep you if I had any left. Nice to see someone else who actually understands the law in this thread

The irony...

Some more sources for you...

"There are also different rules when one of the people involved is in a “position of trust” with the other person. For example, a teacher is breaking the law if they have sex with one of their students, even if they are over the age of consent (16) but under 18." http://www.thesite.org/crime-and-safety/your-rights/age-of-consent-9106.html

"Age 16
You can legally have heterosexual sex (between a man and a woman) or homosexual or gay sex (between two members of the same sex).

If the person is in a position of trust (for example a teacher or youth worker) then it's illegal for them to have sex with someone aged under 18 who is their responsibility.
You can get married (also same-sex marriage in England and Wales). You need your parents' permission if you are under 18.
In Scotland, you don’t need your parents' permission to get married as long as you are over 16." http://www.childline.org.uk/Explore/CrimeLaw/Pages/Rights.aspx

"

Sex
In the UK, persons aged 16 and over, whether male or female, heterosexual or homosexual, may have sexual relations with other people aged over 16. However, people aged over 18 who are in positions of trust over someone aged under 18 are breaking the law by having sexual relations with them." http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/criminal/your_rights/500373.html

If someone over 16 wants to have sex with someone else of any age over 16 then there is no legal issue unless they are in a position of trust such as a teacher.

Thanks for the comment about my ignorance with the law, unfortunately it is yourself whom is ill informed.
Original post by Reason and Logic
Plain wrong

The irony...

Some more sources for you...

"There are also different rules when one of the people involved is in a “position of trust” with the other person. For example, a teacher is breaking the law if they have sex with one of their students, even if they are over the age of consent (16) but under 18." http://www.thesite.org/crime-and-safety/your-rights/age-of-consent-9106.html

"Age 16
You can legally have heterosexual sex (between a man and a woman) or homosexual or gay sex (between two members of the same sex).

If the person is in a position of trust (for example a teacher or youth worker) then it's illegal for them to have sex with someone aged under 18 who is their responsibility.
You can get married (also same-sex marriage in England and Wales). You need your parents' permission if you are under 18.
In Scotland, you don’t need your parents' permission to get married as long as you are over 16." http://www.childline.org.uk/Explore/CrimeLaw/Pages/Rights.aspx

"

Sex
In the UK, persons aged 16 and over, whether male or female, heterosexual or homosexual, may have sexual relations with other people aged over 16. However, people aged over 18 who are in positions of trust over someone aged under 18 are breaking the law by having sexual relations with them." http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/criminal/your_rights/500373.html

If someone over 16 wants to have sex with someone else of any age over 16 then there is no legal issue unless they are in a position of trust such as a teacher.

Thanks for the comment about my ignorance with the law, unfortunately it is yourself whom is ill informed.

Someone aged below 18 is STILL a minor under UNCRC and UK Law. There is no questioning that.

However, as a trainee teacher, I fall under the position of trust category, and I mistakenly applied it to everyone.

At least I can admit where I have made mistakes.
Someone aged below 18 is STILL a minor under UNCRC and UK Law. There is no questioning that.

However, as a trainee teacher, I fall under the position of trust category, and I mistakenly applied it to everyone.

Rather than being an empirical statement as you have alluded to, this is actually highly questionable.

Under European law which the UK has agreed to be bound by “means every human being below the age of eighteen years unless, under the law applicable to the child, majority is attained earlier”.

So there is a basic assumption that as a neutral starting point someone under 18 is a child. However where the child is governed by laws which supersede this then it is defined by the law impinging upon the individual.

So if we are talking about 'Joe Bloggs', aged 17, who wants to buy alcohol. EU law says he is a child and the UK law on purchasing alcohol says he is a child then Joe is unequivocally classed as a child.

If however Joe decided to have sex with a 25 year old, EU law states he is a 'child' but the UK consent laws allow this behaviour age 16+ (unless the elder is in a position of trust). In this case UK law supersedes the EU definition and he is deemed an adult who is capable of making this decision.

In one case Joe is classed as a child and in the other as an adult. He is the same person in both scenarios so how can this be? It is the situation which determines the definition so you cannot make a sweeping statement that everyone under 18 is classed as a child, as there are many exceptions dependent on the situation.

References can be supplied.

I have taught too but understand UK law and had no need to generalise my circumstances to the entire population.

A veiled acknowledgement laced with insult, how charming. People make mistakes and I would have zero issue with that, we are human. It is rather different when you were happy enough to literally insult my intelligence and decry my ignorance of UK law though.
She's of legal age to start making more mature decisions.
Seeing as she is pretty much 18 within the next few weeks, I personally think it's okay.

And you are all assuming that there is going to be something sexual involved as soon as they get together? OP if you want to wait until she's 18 then go for it.
Thank you everyone for the comments.Do really like this girl and am happy that im not seen as some sort of creep! We have both talked about the age issue and shes totally fine with it, its just me that was a bit weary. And btw ive met her parents and they know that we have been talking and that we like eachother. They are happy for us! Think its time to take the plunge and make her my girl!! Thank you again!!! :-) :-) :-)
Reply 30
wait for the 17 year old to turn 18 and then do whatver the eff you want. :smile:
If you can get over the potential for her parents to have issues with it and her not knowing much about adult life like full time jobs, renting/buying real estate, etc. then go for it
Original post by Princess31
Some people dont get that haha
Youre lucky :h:

I agree I do feel blessed :smile: Someone is smiling down at me I think. My life isn't perfect but I have a lot to be thankful for. (I doubt anybody's life is perfect!)
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I was 17 he was 24. We met, started dating, fell in love, got engaged.....

Now I'm 31, he's 38. We'll have been married for 10 years in April, and have 4 lovely children together.

There's 7 years and 12 days between us in age.

I still find this very weird, at least when you were 17 and he was 24. Not so much now that you are 31 and he is 38. But who am i to judge..
Original post by JamesNeedHelp2
I still find this very weird, at least when you were 17 and he was 24. Not so much now that you are 31 and he is 38. But who am i to judge..

Didn't seem weird to us at the time, and looking back it still doesn't *shrugs*
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Didn't seem weird to us at the time, and looking back it still doesn't *shrugs*

Pos rep for consistency.
When I met my boyfriend, I was 17 and he was 29, four years later, we're still together and moving in this year.

Go for it and good luck!
Reply 37
i work with a girl who is 17 and have been friends for sometime. we have been talking and shes said she really likes me and wants more to happen, she acts mature and hangs around with my friend group of 20-26.i feel the same but am held back because of the age gap. another thing to mention is she will be 18 in a couple of weeks so there is a 6 year age gap. Ive never really been attracted to younger girls before but me and this girl have been talking alot and im growing closer to her.

dude go for it.

Legal age is 16.
I don't see the problem

My ex was 24 when I met him and I was 17. I never felt like he was so much older than me or anything. It just depends on how you view it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending