The Student Room Group

Lied to the police in a witness statement to protect my boyfriend..?

A couple of weeks ago my boyfriend and his friend were in a fight with a random guy on a night out. Me and another friend then remained with said guy until an ambulance arrived just to check him over.
When they arrived the police came too and asked us about the event and trying to protect my boyfriend we made up two different people etc and said we had no idea who they were.
Police then took my statement the next day and i repeated the scene with the idea that we had no idea who the two guys were who had been in the fight

recently had a call from the police to say they've been looking at CCTV etc so now im worried they will see we did know the people in the fight (as we were in the street talking prior to the event) and the descriptions me and my friend gave weren't accurate

I doubt this whole thing will go to court as no one was seriously injured etc but im worried what will happen to me if the police figure out i lied in my statement, does anyone have an idea?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
A couple of weeks ago my boyfriend and his friend were in a fight with a random guy on a night out. Me and another friend then remained with said guy until an ambulance arrived just to check him over.
When they arrived the police came too and asked us about the event and trying to protect my boyfriend we made up two different people etc and said we had no idea who they were.
Police then took my statement the next day and i repeated the scene with the idea that we had no idea who the two guys were who had been in the fight

recently had a call from the police to say they've been looking at CCTV etc so now im worried they will see we did know the people in the fight (as we were in the street talking prior to the event) and the descriptions me and my friend gave weren't accurate

I doubt this whole thing will go to court as no one was seriously injured etc but im worried what will happen to me if the police figure out i lied in my statement, does anyone have an idea?

You're potentially on the hook for perverting the course of justice and for wasting police time. Both can involve prosecution in the worst cases.

Whether or not the police decide to prosecute you will depend on various factors, such as whether they have sufficient evidence to show you knowingly falsified the witness statement and whether it would be in the public interest to prosecute you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Should've said you don't know or don't remember.

You might get charged with perverting the course of justice in the worst case scenario, but it's unlikely. You shouldn't have lied to the police though - even if the risk of prosecution is small, it could have a large impact on your future, and while you lied to protect your boyfriend if the truth is revealed the situation would be far worse than if you just said the truth.
Original post by clh_hilary
Should've said you don't know or don't remember.

Saying nothing at all would have been better.
No point sugar-coating it, you're going down :/
Original post by Birkenhead
Saying nothing at all would have been better.

Well I assumed she was asked.
Reply 7
Lying isn't exactly a good idea. But don't worry, it's not like you'll be taken to court then get sent down for a few years. If they look over the CCTV and saw that you knew them, they still don't need to know the exact details of your relationship. Say you met them in the club and walked outside with them. Plus, you were slightly intoxicated and can't remember exact descriptions of what they looked like. Easy.

Many people lie to the police. And many people get away with it. Even those who get found out usually just get a warning. If you were lying about a murder, then obviously except to be in trouble. But I wouldn't advise lying again in the future is you can help it.

It will go to court if the perpetrators are charged. Something that doesn't look like a "serious" injury can still be Actual Bodily Harm.
Original post by Ahava
I wouldn't advise lying again in the future

But you just did. :rolleyes:
Original post by Ahava
Lying isn't exactly a good idea. But don't worry, it's not like you'll be taken to court then get sent down for a few years... Many people lie to the police. And many people get away with it. Even those who get found out usually just get a warning. If you were lying about a murder, then obviously except to be in trouble. But I wouldn't advise lying again in the future is you can help it.

This is irresponsible advice.

Just look at: http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/perverting_the_course_of_justice/

People found out "lying", i.e. concealing evidence, have been sentenced to several years inside
Reply 11
Original post by Lady Comstock

Just look at: http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/perverting_the_course_of_justice/

People found out "lying", i.e. concealing evidence, have been sentenced to several years inside

To be fair, those cases are far more serious.

OP, I think there's a fairly low chance of you being prosecuted, however it may be in your interest to seek legal advice.
Reply 12
Original post by Good bloke
But you just did. :rolleyes:

I said she shouldn't lie to the authorities in the future, not me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suUxA3sS2zg
(edited 9 years ago)
He probably had his reasons for fighting (or just drunk), so as long as there is no way they can know you lied, there is no problem, although obviously they can't prosecute you for saying that you don't remember
You are going to get done for perverting the court of justice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16

I've also worked twice for the CPS. They really don't have the time, money, or room in prisons to send someone down for lying about their boyfriend being in a drunken (probably not serious) fight. Assaults aren't prosecuted and neither are most ABH's. Unless this guy had bones broken, organs punctured, had his face seriously deconstructed, literally nothing will happen to her.
Reply 17
There's a good chance you will both be water boarded and then black listed from ever working in River Island.
Reply 18
A couple of weeks ago my boyfriend and his friend were in a fight with a random guy on a night out.
Don't you mean ex-boyfriend?

That completely depends on the severity of the incident. This really isn't a particularly serious case...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending