The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Odds of an unconditional from Birmingham?

Hi!
I have 1 place left on my UCAS form and have recently considered Birmingham for the first time, having originally ignored Birmingham due to it's location. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what sort of odds they think I would have of getting an Unconditional to study History. I have ABB at AS, all A's and A*'s at GCSE and am predicted A*AA at A2.
Does anyone think I have a good chance of an unconditional, a regular offer, or just a straight up rejection?

Scroll to see replies

whilst I cannot be certain looking at your predicted grades against Birmingham's entry requirements I believe you will get an offer and think they will probably make it unconditional if you make them your firm choice. that seems to be the way they usually work. as your predicted grades are 2 grades higher than their entry grades you really should not worry about an unconditional and go for the uni that suits you best
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
whilst I cannot be certain looking at your predicted grades against Birmingham's entry requirements I believe you will get an offer and think they will probably make it unconditional if you make them your firm choice. that seems to be the way they usually work. as your predicted grades are 2 grades higher than their entry grades you really should not worry about an unconditional and go for the uni that suits you best

Thank you-thats a comforting message. I agree that probably I could get higher grades and would probably get into a better institution but I'm feeling a lot of pressure at the minute at it'd be nice to have an unconditional available as it comes to the point where I need to put my firm choice down. :smile:
Original post by fieldtop1
Hi!
I have 1 place left on my UCAS form and have recently considered Birmingham for the first time, having originally ignored Birmingham due to it's location. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what sort of odds they think I would have of getting an Unconditional to study History. I have ABB at AS, all A's and A*'s at GCSE and am predicted A*AA at A2.
Does anyone think I have a good chance of an unconditional, a regular offer, or just a straight up rejection?

Birmingham's a really good university and it depends what their entry requirements are for History. Having said that, you will most likely get a conditional, if you get an unconditional then well done!
Hi!

There's no way of knowing for certain since they don't publish their thresholds but as Itsmith said, I don't think it's particularly likely you'll get an unconditional if your AS grades are below their entry requirements. I think a conditional is likely but an unconditional I'm not sure.
I checked with Ladbrokes...

1/4 Conditional
11/4 Unconditional
66/1 Rejection

:smile:
Well, this year Birmingham have been giving out unconditionals almost like sweets to some of the students I teach, some of whom I wouldn't have expected to get any such thing in years gone by, so your chances are fairly reasonable by that measure. However, don't be swayed by what is, in essence, a cynical marketing ploy by universities to get bums on seats if you wouldn't consider going there under other circumstances. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Birmingham at all - it's a fine university - but you have to actually want to go there to make it worth your while.
Thank you-thats a comforting message. I agree that probably I could get higher grades and would probably get into a better institution but I'm feeling a lot of pressure at the minute at it'd be nice to have an unconditional available as it comes to the point where I need to put my firm choice down. :smile:

the other option is to firm your favourite choice and put an insurance with grades abb or bbb. you have not stated where else you have applied or what it is about Birmingham you dont fancy. if you are looking for an insurance offer in a smaller place look at keele Loughborough Swansea bangor or Cardiff as an insurance
Reply 8
Original post by swanseajack1
the other option is to firm your favourite choice and put an insurance with grades abb or bbb. you have not stated where else you have applied or what it is about Birmingham you dont fancy. if you are looking for an insurance offer in a smaller place look at keele Loughborough Swansea bangor or Cardiff as an insurance

Well currently I have offers from Kings and Nottingham who I would argue are a pretty similar level to Birmingham. I'm struggling to differentiate between them to be honest which is why I'd like an unconditional as it would help me to decide haha :smile:
Reply 9
Note: not all subjects are eligible for unconditionals from B'ham. CompSci I know isn't, and Maths is. History is though, so it's possible. Full list here http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/unconditional-offer-scheme-2015.aspx
Reply 10
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Well, this year Birmingham have been giving out unconditionals almost like sweets to some of the students I teach, some of whom I wouldn't have expected to get any such thing in years gone by, so your chances are fairly reasonable by that measure. However, don't be swayed by what is, in essence, a cynical marketing ploy by universities to get bums on seats if you wouldn't consider going there under other circumstances. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Birmingham at all - it's a fine university - but you have to actually want to go there to make it worth your while.

Well what had put me off was the idea of living in Birmingham but i've recently realised that Birmingham would not be a bad place to live at all, particularly as it's a campus university. It's pretty much on par in my mind between my other options so I think an unconditional would tip the balance for it :smile:
Well what had put me off was the idea of living in Birmingham but i've recently realised that Birmingham would not be a bad place to live at all, particularly as it's a campus university. It's pretty much on par in my mind between my other options so I think an unconditional would tip the balance for it :smile:

Well, that's fine. Go and have a look round first.
Well currently I have offers from Kings and Nottingham who I would argue are a pretty similar level to Birmingham. I'm struggling to differentiate between them to be honest which is why I'd like an unconditional as it would help me to decide haha :smile:

go on visit days to both and make your decision after that. my honest opinion for what it is worth you should forget the unconditional and choose where like best and look at an insurance choice for piece of mind. that needs to be somewhere you would be happy and in your circumstances needs to be aab to bbb
Reply 13
Well, that's fine. Go and have a look round first.

Is the feeling based on the experience with your students with my grade profile that I'd be likely or unlikely to get the unconditional? :smile:
Is the feeling based on the experience with your students with my grade profile that I'd be likely or unlikely to get the unconditional? :smile:

One in particular has AAB at AS but one or two Bs at GCSE, so that may cancel out. It seems to me that they are easily come by, but I couldn't say more than that.
Although Birmingham do give unconditional offers (not on all courses though) it's unlikely you'll get one, however it is likely that you'll get an offer. Saying that, it's still possible that you'll get an unconditional.
Hi!

I got okay GCSE's (mostly B's) then 4 A's at AS level and i have an unconditional offer- not sure if this helps!
Original post by Buxtonwater
Although Birmingham do give unconditional offers (not on all courses though) it's unlikely you'll get one, however it is likely that you'll get an offer. Saying that, it's still possible that you'll get an unconditional.

So what you're saying is that it might happen but that it's also possible that it will not?
Original post by Potally_Tissed
So what you're saying is that it might happen but that it's also possible that it will not?

Possibly. Or the other way around.
Possibly. Or the other way around.

Whoa, let's not confuse things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending