The Student Room Group

Turkish Newspaper Published Muhammad Cartoon

Turkish newspaper Cumhuriyet has published a section of the magazine, including a small image of the cover. It had originally planned to publish the full edition, but scaled down its plans due to security concerns.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30808284

Scroll to see replies

Good for them

I'm sure though the followers of the religion of peace will act as we would expect
Original post by PopaPork
Good for them

I'm sure though the followers of the religion of peace will act as we would expect

Not in Secular Turkey. There may be people on the fringes (as we saw in Paris) who get uoset enough to do something about it, but the Turkish Military loves to clamp down on Muslim extremists.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Not in Secular Turkey. There may be people on the fringes (as we saw in Paris) who get uoset enough to do something about it, but the Turkish Military loves to clamp down on Muslim extremists.

True I had forgotten the Military

Wonder though how the Syrian refugees will take this.
Reply 4
good for them but they could be attacked or arrested soon
To be perfectly honest, if they did intend to insult followers of Islam by publishing a cartoon like this, they are disgusting. If they want respect they should earn it. Yes the people who got murdered were only bystanders and/or publishers of the cartoon however they have to understand that the reason why they got attacked isn't for nothing. We have a lot of respect for our religion and if followers of religions such as Christianity doesn't have any respect towards their faith, then thats there own problem. However, disrespecting someone else's religion is an entirely different topic and no one has the right to do so. At all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plus I am Turkish too. Most of the government hasn't tried getting very involved with the 'massacre' however they have showed the disgust they have towards the people which have murdered the editors. But I can't say that they completely disagree with the reasons upon them getting attacked. Nevertheless, they have tried showing some sort of sympathy towards whoever that published it but as I said, they only tried to. No one has the right to end anyones life as everyone has the freedom to do so but they should've been punished in another way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PopaPork
True I had forgotten the Military

Wonder though how the Syrian refugees will take this.

I think they've got more pressing issues to worry about.
Original post by melisa_ak
No one has the right to end anyones life as everyone has the freedom to do so but they should've been punished in another way.

No, they shouldn't have been punished in any way because they commited no crime whatsoever under the law of the land. The Western way would have been for everyone offended to go demonstrate outside the office in a peaceful way, our societies aren't dictated by religious institutions anymore.

And it has to be said, because I feel offended by people coming to the West to knock our culture: if it discomforts people who make religion so fundamental in their existences, they really should consider living somewhere more agreeable for everyone's sake.
(edited 9 years ago)
If they want respect they should earn it.

And so should muslims.
To be perfectly honest, if they did intend to insult followers of Islam by publishing a cartoon like this, they are disgusting. If they want respect they should earn it. Yes the people who got murdered were only bystanders and/or publishers of the cartoon however they have to understand that the reason why they got attacked isn't for nothing. We have a lot of respect for our religion and if followers of religions such as Christianity doesn't have any respect towards their faith, then thats there own problem. However, disrespecting someone else's religion is an entirely different topic and no one has the right to do so. At all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why do you think that just because you respect your own religion that others are supposed to do the same?

It's not their religion so why on earth should they expected to respect it?
It's getting cringe now.

Not impressed with Turkey.
Original post by looseseal
Why do you think that just because you respect your own religion that others are supposed to do the same?

It's not their religion so why on earth should they expected to respect it?

I've heard a guy on radio state, in no uncertain terms, that everyone is born a Muslim, that some people just happen to be brought up within the wrong religions. Straight up, that really is the mindset of some people out there and we have to factor that in: people like him really/truly/utterly/unconditionally take religious texts as the word of the one and only God we owe our existences to and everything they do or say is shaped by it.

Of course, that is so hard to understand for the disbelievers as we are to them and that shouldn't by itself have us at each other's throats but I can't remember who started it anymore.
In an op-ed piece in the paper, Turkish writer Mustafa Akyol calls on the Muslim world to ease its concept of blasphemy.

"Rage is a sign of nothing but immaturity," he says. "The power of any faith comes not from its coercion of critics and dissenters. It comes from the moral integrity and the intellectual strength of its believers."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30812155

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sooooooo disgusting......disgusting as cockroaches....they just had to be killed....
Reply 15
President Erdogan said the west are behind the Charlie Hebdo attacks and Muslims are paying the price for it.
Original post by al_94
President Erdogan said the west are behind the Charlie Hebdo attacks and Muslims are paying the price for it.

To be fair he is an idiot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes they do. Your religion is silly. There, I said it.

I've nothing particular against Islam, I'd say the same of Catholics. But, whilst most Muslims are not stupid, despite following a false doctrine, you absolutely are. You show yourself to be so with this ridiculous, and offensive, justification of murder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Religion is an ideology like any other, so of course it can be disrespected. What you have just said is fundamentally at odds with Western values. I therefore echo what the mayor of Rotterdam said about people like you:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/netherlands/11342282/Rotterdams-mayor-tells-Muslims-to-pack-their-bags-and-go-if-they-dont-like-freedom.html

As for the topic at hand it's very interesting. Whist Turkey has recently
been a secular country, the Turkish president is fanatically religious, so will be interesting to see if he drags his country further towards being Islamic, or if he protects the principle of secularity.
I followed this. It's an interesting pinnacle considering the effacing nature of the Turkish press originally in the aftermath of the attack. They more or less blamed it on Charlie Hebdo. Now this is certainly more brazen. No doubt it won't carry well with the traditionalism in Turkey increaing as it has been.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending