The Student Room Group

Badges are live.... beta rollout!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Ooh ignore :lol:

:lol: are you guys arch rivals?

Oxford v Cambridge and all that :wink:
Original post by Josb
Perhaps new users shouldn't able to create new threads until they have made 10 posts. This way we would avoid the frenzy of creating new threads like "help me translating this sentence", "Charlie Hebdo deserved it", whilst there are already dozens of similar treads.

If they really need help with their studying then why shouldn't they be able to post? Having a new users need to post x times before starting a new thread will be unwelcoming to new members plus will increase the spam content on the site. If they want help badly then they won't properly post around the site, they will rush to get their 10 posts to start a thread if they stay at all.
Bug Report:

Posted a reply to this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3076815&p=52922237#post52922237

Got rep from a user; JackMorgan
OP of thread is: Jack182

I have now been awarded the "Hero" badge, which I believe is incorrect.
Original post by She-Ra
I agree and we see that in the threads in applications and UCAS a lot. We should look at how we adapt this for the badges that will recognise members like yourself in that particular forum. How about posts only been recognised in some threads which receive rep from x3 members or x5? Do rep gangs operate in A&U?

:nope: it's rare to get 1 rep for a helpful post in UCAS/unis (eg this post http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=33494409&postcount=1 has been up and stickies for over 3 years and has 48 reps. People tend to say thank you or say nothing - rep is rare)

I think the OP rep as a proxy for quality control is a reasonable one - I'd just say extend it so it counts towards *any* posts the OP reps rather than just the first response. I think that would be worthwhile using in study help etc too.

This is a really interesting point, please can you tell me more from your personal perspective? :smile: I've been here 14 months so I haven't experienced these changes. This is a massive question but what could we change to encourage users to behave in that manner or is it a generation thing?
It'd be useful to run the stats of # of new threads started by area and map that against changes to the forum design. My personal hunch is that the "Post" function on the top left on the green bar isn't helping (but again it'd be useful to know what route people posting unanswered threads are using to create threads...? what lands them on the new thread page?).

I'd suggest maybe breaking that function down a bit so it isn't just "post" but is split between "want to chat?" with quick thread creation links in chat/H&R/D&CA/Entertainment etc and "got a question?" with links to Study help/careers/UCAS/unis etc. It might be possible to bring in something about the study resources section there too and/or the wiki?

AND add in something there so people can find out what other people are already chatting about in those areas/has your question already been answered/"can you help answer someone's questions?" with links through to the relevant forums.

</brain dump>
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 244
Original post by SirMasterKey
If they really need help with their studying then why shouldn't they be able to post? Having a new users need to post x times before starting a new thread will be unwelcoming to new members plus will increase the spam content on the site. If they want help badly then they won't properly post around the site, they will rush to get their 10 posts to start a thread if they stay at all.

I suppose the perfect system doesn't exist. :biggrin:
Original post by She-Ra
:lol: are you guys arch rivals?

Oxford v Cambridge and all that :wink:

Pretty much :rofl:
Original post by She-Ra

Do rep gangs operate in A&U?

This made me laugh!
Original post by She-Ra
but it would be helpful to have some suggestions from you please.

Okay. Here it is. I strongly feel that using algorithms and codes to award badges automatically based on statistical information is a deeply flawed system. In my view, the only way badges can work in the long-term is if section leaders/moderators award them themselves based on their observations in the specific forums they operate in. Obviously that means more work, but that is the only way to ensure that people who deserve badges always get them and those people who will inevitably try to play the system are caught out.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
This made me laugh!

:holmes:

It was a question asked most seriously.

Glad to have returned the favour :teehee:
Original post by PQ
:nope: it's rare to get 1 rep for a helpful post in UCAS/unis (eg this post http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=33494409&postcount=1 has been up and stickies for over 3 years and has 48 reps. People tend to say thank you or say nothing - rep is rare)

Yes, this has been my experience, especially recently. I think I've had less rep as a mod, which suggests that the 'official' title takes away the fact that it's done voluntarily. (This isn't a moan, just an observation!)
Original post by She-Ra

3 badges :redface: - may have to ask the dev team that you didn't ask for them to be added lol :tongue:

Didn't take you long to get them then.. :tongue:
Original post by She-Ra

Really? If rep-whoring goes on, it passes me by....:frown:
Original post by Snufkin
Okay. Here it is. I strongly feel that using algorithms and codes to award badges automatically based on statistical information is a deeply flawed system. In my view, the only way badges can work in the long-term is if section leaders/moderators award them themselves based on their observations in the specific forums they operate in. Obviously that means more work, but that is the only way to ensure that people who deserve badges always get them and those people who will inevitably try to play the system are caught out.

But we can absolutely do that too, and I promise we have plans to do so. I couldn't agree more that it's very important to have a balance of badge criteria.

If a particular forum wanted a member of the month badge then we could do that - backed by mods and the CT or voted on by the community and we could then manually award it :biggrin:
Really? If rep-whoring goes on, it passes me by....:frown:

I promise, I myself have never experienced nor seen "rep-whoring" or rep gangs in operation but apparently it happens.
Original post by She-Ra
I promise, I myself have never experienced nor seen "rep-whoring" or rep gangs in operation but apparently it happens.

Oh, I know it happens, but A&U isn't usually that kind of forum.
Original post by She-Ra
But we can absolutely do that too, and I promise we have plans to do so. I couldn't agree more that it's very important to have a balance of badge criteria.

If a particular forum wanted a member of the month badge then we could do that - backed by mods and the CT or voted on by the community and we could then manually award it :biggrin:

That might be a better way to give out badges in D&CA? Maybe a level 1 for posting in there, level 2 for getting a post that got rep but level 3 is reserved for people nominated/voted for by the members of the forum and/or mods/CT. It could cycle monthly/bimonthly through the different D&CA forums so 6 or 12 awarded annually...
Oh, I know it happens, but A&U isn't usually that kind of forum.

well - there is GOGSoc :ninjagirl: :wink:
I've got all three now!
Original post by PQ
well - there is GOGSoc :ninjagirl: :wink:

Is GOGSOC a hotbed of rep-whoring, then?
Is GOGSOC a hotbed of rep-whoring, then?

not massively but it's a lovely sociable place. I've probably had more reps over the years from lovely gogsoc-ers sympathising with my moaning than for any efforts around results week :indiff:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending