The Student Room Group

Would i get into Oxbridge or even a decent University with these GCSEs

Hi.

Ive posted here before about my grades but i didnt really receive a valid response.

I got poor GCSE grades and had to resit one of them whilst in AS but my AS grade and predicted A2 grades are really good.

I know people will say i wont get into Oxb but what about other Unis? Where does the barrier shut for me in regards to Uni choices?

Here are my grades:

GCSE: AAABBCDE (E in Photography)
AS: AAAA. 90.1% avg calculated from all 4
A2 predictions: A*A*A*A.

If i would apply, itll be fore Engineering.

Im doing my A2s currently but could insist of getting work experience to work my way up?

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by IntlStudent1
Hi.

Ive posted here before about my grades but i didnt really receive a valid response.

I got poor GCSE grades and had to resit one of them whilst in AS but my AS grade and predicted A2 grades are really good.

I know people will say i wont get into Oxb but what about other Unis? Where does the barrier shut for me in regards to Uni choices?

Here are my grades:

Im doing my A2s currently but could insist of getting work experience to work my way up?

Thanks

It's possible that you could get into Oxford. I wouldn't say it's 'likely' but it's definitely not impossible. There are people in Oxford with worse GCSEs than that.
Just go for it, you may get rejected, you may get accepted. But you definitely won't get in if you don't apply. I have A*AAAABBBC at GCSE and I hold an offer.
Original post by JamesJones777
Just go for it, you may get rejected, you may get accepted. But you definitely won't get in if you don't apply. I have A*AAAABBBC at GCSE and I hold an offer.

But theyre much better than mine
But theyre much better than mine

not by much, go for it. If you don't get in, you don't get in. There are plenty of amazing universities in this country.
Original post by JamesJones777
not by much, go for it. If you don't get in, you don't get in. There are plenty of amazing universities in this country.

What about other Unis? ICL, UCL, Manchester etc etc
Reply 6
Definitely apply. However, for a course like engineering that is super competitive they do take GCSE's into account heavily - and yours are weak for an Oxbridge candidate. That said, alot of Oxford's decision making process is based on the pre interview test - which most courses require. Ace it, and your poor GCSE's will suddenly go away, and they will call you for an interview, do well, and an offer is yours.
Hi.

Here are my grades:

Thanks

Not sure about Oxbridge but you'll get an offer from almost any uni with your A level performance so far.
For Cambridge you're AS grades may compensate for your GCSE's although it depends on the context in which you achieved them
I don't think many uni's put much stock into GCSEs. I think the main thing is a pass in English and Maths.
Hi.

Here are my grades:

Thanks

So, if I read this right, by the time you apply in the next cycle, you will have completed A2 and probably have three A*'s in the bag. I don't think any University is going to give a stuff about your GCSEs at that stage. Oxford least of all, since they will have the admissions test and interview information to consider to supplement your A-level results.
Yes, 3 A*s as per my prediction. I dont know whether i should be happy with the stage im at or regret not doing well at GCSE. Vis-à-vis this issue, would they just disregard my GCSEs since I have the minimum requirement?
Original post by astro67
So, if I read this right, by the time you apply in the next cycle, you will have completed A2 and probably have three A*'s in the bag. I don't think any University is going to give a stuff about your GCSEs at that stage. Oxford least of all, since they will have the admissions test and interview information to consider to supplement your A-level results.
Don't apply to Oxbridge. Not even trying to be rude here, but engineering is a very competitive course, and your gcses are simply not good enough. the fact that you have 3A*s predictions is great, and if you go on to achieve those grades then you'll be in a good position for other universities, but Oxford would still be highly unlikely to accept you (even with high aptitude test scores and A levels) because your gcses are just too poor. if you have genuine extenuating circumstances which severely affected your application, then maybe perfect performance everywhere else might save you somewhat, but other than that, absolutely not.
Reply 13
Original post by TheTechN1304
Don't apply to Oxbridge. Not even trying to be rude here, but engineering is a very competitive course, and your gcses are simply not good enough. the fact that you have 3A*s predictions is great, and if you go on to achieve those grades then you'll be in a good position for other universities, but Oxford would still be highly unlikely to accept you (even with high aptitude test scores and A levels) because your gcses are just too poor. if you have genuine extenuating circumstances which severely affected your application, then maybe perfect performance everywhere else might save you somewhat, but other than that, absolutely not.

Just like to point out here, that you seem to be fundamentally in disagreement with the previous poster (Astro67), who is an Oxford tutor for admissions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending