The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clh_hilary
Not the department necessarily, but it's also the short-cut to all of life's greatest offerings such as Tesco, Sainsbury, Primark, H&M, G&D, all the banks, Boots, University of Oxford Shop, Oxford University Press, Christ Church College, the botanical garden, Radcliffe Camera, the Ashmolean, etc.

But why would I want to go to any of those in the evening? :confused:
Original post by Chlorophile
If everything's the same offer then maybe don't bother having an insurance since there's no point anyway? I don't think an insurance is compulsory.

It is still worth having an insurance, even if they're asking for the same grades, because if you miss it you're more likely to still get in at pretty much anywhere other than Oxford.
But why would I want to go to any of those in the evening? :confused:

What if you got a hookup at Balliol or is hungry for Tesco food and finest products?
(edited 9 years ago)
If everything's the same offer then maybe don't bother having an insurance since there's no point anyway? I don't think an insurance is compulsory.

Well I mean, I have two other unis that I would feel happy going to if Ox doesn't work out, but they are very competitive so I don;t know if there's any point in having them as an insurance if I miss my Ox offer. Alternatively, there are two other offers which are fine, but I'm not really sure I want to go to them that much. So that leaves me a choice between stupid (pick Ox and a v. competitive same offer uni) or safe (pick ox and lower offer uni).
Original post by BlueSkyeCloudyDay
Well I mean, I have two other unis that I would feel happy going to if Ox doesn't work out, but they are very competitive so I don;t know if there's any point in having them as an insurance if I miss my Ox offer. Alternatively, there are two other offers which are fine, but I'm not really sure I want to go to them that much. So that leaves me a choice between stupid (pick Ox and a v. competitive same offer uni) or safe (pick ox and lower offer uni).

The 'v. competitive same offer uni' may still have you ever if you've missed your offer, Oxford might not.
What if you got a hookup at Somerville or is hungry for Tesco food and finest products?

Former is unlikely and for the latter, if I'm really going to scoff myself with one of Tesco's lovely high calorie sandwiches then it'd probably do me good to walk the extra 200m.
Well, to be fair I don't know everybody from Wadham. The warden is not gay AFAIK. :cool:

Shame I'm not into old men :tongue:
Former is unlikely and for the latter, if I'm really going to scoff myself with one of Tesco's lovely high calorie sandwiches then it'd probably do me good to walk the extra 200m.

Never say never.
Not the department necessarily, but it's also the short-cut to all of life's greatest offerings such as Tesco, Sainsbury, Primark, H&M, G&D, all the banks, Boots, University of Oxford Shop, Oxford University Press, Christ Church College, the botanical garden, Radcliffe Camera, the Ashmolean, etc.

Almost all of those would be just as quick to get to via the St Anne’s front gate (the only ones that might would be the botanical garden and the Rad Cam).

Thanks for the musical accompaniment.

Original post by fluteflute
Almost all of those would be just as quick to get to via the St Anne’s front gate (the only ones that might would be the botanical garden and the Rad Cam).

Are the botanical gardens even open in the evenings (also are they free)?
Original post by StarvingAutist
Shame I'm not into old men :tongue:

He's a baron and a barrister (a QC) though. And he's only 62.

Worth it just for the title and money.

He's married with children tho.

They're free if you've got a university card.

No idea about evenings (it seems plausible they might be in the summer) - you can Google it / check the website
Thanks for the musical accompaniment.

HM The King of Pop is great, isn't he?

That unphotoshopped CK photo. :u:

Closes at 4pm.

Free for Oxford students, not for alumni.

The point is the convenience of the back gate is not unlimited.

No idea about evenings (it seems plausible they might be in the summer) - you can Google it / check the website

Yay! Haven't been there since I was 10 but I remember it being a very nice place!

Closes at 4pm.

Free for Oxford students, not for alumni.

The point is the convenience of the back gate is not unlimited.

To be honest though the biggest problem with the gate is how slowly it opens (how do you know so much about it anyway?)
(edited 9 years ago)

Just to add that also free to enter all colleges. Can also bring in guests. How many idk.
Yay! Haven't been there since I was 10 but I remember it being a very nice place!

Cambridge's better tbh. Their main museum is also better than the Ashmolean IMO.
Cambridge's better tbh. Their main museum is also better than the Ashmolean IMO.

I've never been to the Cambridge botanical gardens (they don't have a Will & Lyra's bench though) but I do agree that the Sedgwick Museum is a strong rival to the Oxford Museum of Natural History.
He's a baron and a barrister (a QC) though. And he's only 62.

Worth it just for the title and money.

He's married with children tho.

Baron, you say? Nothing like a bit of home-wrecking :tongue:
To be honest though the biggest problem with the gate is how slowly it opens (how do you know so much about it anyway?)

I pass by it almost every day and was there for several things from OUSU council meetings to randomly walked into the college without knowing it (and having the need to walk all the way out because the back gate was closed).

Also, sex. There was this guy at St Anne's and it took him ages to get here.
Original post by StarvingAutist
Baron, you say? Nothing like a bit of home-wrecking :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending