The Student Room Group

How to cope with giving up my Uni Dreams and Career

Hello

It is with sad regret that i will be missing the ucas deadline :cry2:. Because i suffer from Depression and that everyone in my college sees me as a weirdo, the tutor made a good point not to write my references earlier because i failed my accounting exam, being behind coursework and having the poorest attendance in college.

It is an access course, i dont blame them, i agreed with her and she then indirectly try to indicate that my behaviour is Bipolar/Personality Disorder (she didnt say it direct obviously but the way she described me) hence making my reference hard to write, she says she will write tonight but i know that is a lie. Whilst i have finished my personal statement and my careers advisor giving me the best help i have ever had with the personal statement, i also realise that my tutor is ****ing useless but thats just my own thinking

Anyway, now that there's a 100% chance that i won't go uni as i predict i will get out of college anyway, i need to cope on not being jealous of others who are going uni or already in uni. This was my third attempt at college and i have ruined yet again :frown:. This September i'm likely to do a btec with 16 year old kids or to do a dead end apprenticeship. How can i now adjust to this sad life and ending my potential career.

Scroll to see replies

Pretty sure no unis read the reference any more because schools fix them.
i don't think u can miss the deadline since it is a recommended deadline, you can still apply before march or even later. maybe u could do an HND and get on a 2nd 3rd year uni?, or foundation year some other time?. My friend failed Alevel and still got in uni a few years later from doing independent work, there are other pathways. but i agree that it doesn't sound like ur college is lifting your hopes up.
Reply 3
Original post by MedicineMann
Pretty sure no unis read the reference any more because schools fix them.

Possibly, but the college told me that i cant send it without reference
Reply 4
Original post by SuperWolfPaws
i don't think u can miss the deadline since it is a recommended deadline, you can still apply before march or even later. maybe u could do an HND and get on a 2nd 3rd year uni?, or foundation year some other time?. My friend failed Alevel and still got in uni a few years later from doing independent work, there are other pathways. but i agree that it doesn't sound like ur college is lifting your hopes up.

I do wish foundation degree/HND would allow no a-level/Level 3 qualifications. I mean i have 4 GCSE's including maths and english :frown:

My college is a ****, They kicked me out when i was in Year 13. I only went back because no college would want me.
Reply 5
A huge amount of millionaires/ billionaires did not go to school/ failed school and got to where they wanted to go. There are lots of options but require a whole lot more of dedication due to not having a degree.

Surest way is to get a generic job and save up enough to enter real estate and do that. (Real estate done correctly requires almost no cash and minimal credit). Search it up.
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Have you considered doing your A Levels from home with a company like Learn Direct?

Plus my friend applied after the deadline and still got in.
Reply 8
Original post by STUDYREVISE
Sorry to hear about that. Apart from an Apprenticeship or BTEC, is there any other qualification you could do that would lead to your career? What field are you interested in?

I wanted to be a Music Teacher in an Secondary school or FE College, this was the plan hence i would need a degree. Obviously this is something that's not going to happen anyway.

Tbh i may just end my life by working door to door sales
Original post by Anonymous
Hello

It is with sad regret that i will be missing the ucas deadline :cry2:. Because i suffer from Depression and that everyone in my college sees me as a weirdo, the tutor made a good point not to write my references earlier because i failed my accounting exam, being behind coursework and having the poorest attendance in college.

It is an access course, i dont blame them, i agreed with her and she then indirectly try to indicate that my behaviour is Bipolar/Personality Disorder (she didnt say it direct obviously but the way she described me) hence making my reference hard to write, she says she will write tonight but i know that is a lie. Whilst i have finished my personal statement and my careers advisor giving me the best help i have ever had with the personal statement, i also realise that my tutor is ****ing useless but thats just my own thinking

Anyway, now that there's a 100% chance that i won't go uni as i predict i will get out of college anyway, i need to cope on not being jealous of others who are going uni or already in uni. This was my third attempt at college and i have ruined yet again :frown:. This September i'm likely to do a btec with 16 year old kids or to do a dead end apprenticeship. How can i now adjust to this sad life and ending my potential career.

I know some top unis accept BTECs i think with D*DD for business from what ive heard, dont give up on university & you can do A levels privately at an exam centre
I do wish foundation degree/HND would allow no a-level/Level 3 qualifications. I mean i have 4 GCSE's including maths and english :frown:

My college is a ****, They kicked me out when i was in Year 13. I only went back because no college would want me.

i m no expert but i don't think your tutor can make comments about her personal opinion on your mental health in a uni reference. honestly i think btecs are better because u can work from home more anyway. i remember my tutor at college, god... put me off education for 10 years. :rolleyes:
If you think you are depressed, I would confront that first. Have you been to a GP about it?

As for the rest of it, you could do another access course for a year, once you've taken some time out and been treated for depression. If it is your depression causing your failure then you should do better next time, yes? Also, if you do suffer from depression, moving out for uni may have made it worse anyway. It will probably do you good to have some time out
Original post by SuperWolfPaws
i m no expert but i don't think your tutor can make comments about her personal opinion on your mental health in a uni reference. honestly i think btecs are better because u can work from home more anyway. i remember my tutor at college, god... put me off education for 10 years. :rolleyes:

Can i ask a personal question, Did you go uni/are in uni? or did you do an access course/A-levels
Can i ask a personal question, Did you go uni/are in uni? or did you do an access course/A-levels

np,:redface: i did my alevels back in 2005, got good grades, then went on a foundation year, got seriously depressed and had other things to deal with, couldn't attend and failed the whole thing yay. No support from my uni/college. since they have more HND type courses about now, i am doing one of thos. Its not that great, but i know i probably won't cope at uni, or if i would get in. If anything i m studying to boost my confidence, which is something i really need in a job :s-smilie:
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by beckaroo7
If you think you are depressed, I would confront that first. Have you been to a GP about it?

As for the rest of it, you could do another access course for a year, once you've taken some time out and been treated for depression. If it is your depression causing your failure then you should do better next time, yes? Also, if you do suffer from depression, moving out for uni may have made it worse anyway. It will probably do you good to have some time out

I was thinking of doing another access course which would be teaching but this has been my 2nd attempt doing an access course (first was music technology, my 3rd attempt in college and doing access courses are generally difficult (i have failed most work for the first time in my history of education)

The plan was always to move out to uni. I don't get along with my family and my mental health has pissed them off for 10 years. If i went uni, my anxiety and depression would be cured as i would be around people more.
Original post by STUDYREVISE
This is just an idea. Just don't give up. :smile:

This is something i have been thinking for a while but i'm too hesistant to take it. Would a foundation degree in teaching and learning (whatever its called) after finishing get me

1. Topping up my degree and doing doing a pgce etc
2. Get me to teach in Further Education College.

And how long do you think this can all take :frown:
Original post by kayleighisonfire
Have you considered doing your A Levels from home with a company like Learn Direct?

Plus my friend applied after the deadline and still got in.

This was actually something i had in my thought whilst i was showering right now lol.

How did your friend cope with missing the deadline? how many offers did he/she get?
This was actually something i had in my thought whilst i was showering right now lol.

How did your friend cope with missing the deadline? how many offers did he/she get?

Haha, great minds think alike.

He only applied to one uni and got accepted and now attends. I applied for uni last year and UCAS has numerous different deadlines. The 15th deadline just ensures that all unis get back to you sometime in May and then if you apply after that they have until June/July to offer you a place and for you to accept it.
Original post by kayleighisonfire
Haha, great minds think alike.

He only applied to one uni and got accepted and now attends. I applied for uni last year and UCAS has numerous different deadlines. The 15th deadline just ensures that all unis get back to you sometime in May and then if you apply after that they have until June/July to offer you a place and for you to accept it.

But people keep on saying that missing the deadline means hard to get offers. I blame this on myself :sigh:. If i had pretended to act cool with others and fight my anxiety, i would right now be getting offers to my chosen uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending