The Student Room Group

Do independent stores pay less?

I have an interview for an independent store this week, previously I have worked for Boots and Waitrose, both of who paid me £7+ per hour, but will an independent store pay minimum wage?

I've been looking for a job for months so it's the only option I have.
Original post by chelseajanett
I have an interview for an independent store this week, previously I have worked for Boots and Waitrose, both of who paid me £7+ per hour, but will an independent store pay minimum wage?

I've been looking for a job for months so it's the only option I have.

It's obviously not a rule but generally since they have smaller profits overall, they aim to keep costs down more which often involves paying staff less than bigger chains

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the most part yes, unless of course you're working for one of the big London stores e.g. Harrods/Selfridges
It's a store in West London but not a huge one such as Harrods/Selfridges
Original post by chelseajanett
It's a store in West London but not a huge one such as Harrods/Selfridges

You should be getting more anyway than an independent store in the north if they pay the London living wage.
Sorry this isn't answering your question... but which job did you prefer out of boots or waitrose? I have an interview with waitrose next week and i've worked for boots over christmas and i've applied and spoke to the manager at the other store about a position there, so if both were to offer me a job which do you think would be best? I know that the stores pay around the same amount.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending