The Student Room Group

Is it possible to do medicine with these 'ok' GCSE's

Hey guys,

Unfortuantely my GCSE results weren't anywhere near as strong as they could have been, walking away with 6A's (In the core subjects, Englishes, maths & sciences), a couple of B's and a few C's. However Im predicted all A's at AS and Im taking Chemistry, Biology and English lang. Im also doing other outside non-qualificationy things such as old folks home volunteering and reading medical journals. Obviously somewhere like Cardiff's out as it generally needs 5-6 A*'s, but just wondering whether anyone could give me some advice/tell me if I have a chance at any worthwhile uni's (IE one that the qualification from actually means something)

Thanks guys :smile:
I'm also hoping to do med but ended up with not so good gcse's (3A's,7B's and a C). I am also predicted all A's for As (Chem,Bio,Maths,Economics) but given that medicine is so competitive and there are going to be students applying with reams of A* grades, I think its probably better to try and go through other routes into the medicine course as its more realistic. This could be applying through graduate entry or just applying for Foundation Year Medicine.

I'm in a similar position as you and have been doing quite a bit of research. Just keep trying.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by WhiteCape
Hey guys,

Unfortuantely my GCSE results weren't anywhere near as strong as they could have been, walking away with 6A's (In the core subjects, Englishes, maths & sciences), a couple of B's and a few C's. However Im predicted all A's at AS and Im taking Chemistry, Biology and English lang. Im also doing other outside non-qualificationy things such as old folks home volunteering and reading medical journals. Obviously somewhere like Cardiff's out as it generally needs 5-6 A*'s, but just wondering whether anyone could give me some advice/tell me if I have a chance at any worthwhile uni's (IE one that the qualification from actually means something)

Thanks guys :smile:

Are you only doing 3 AS levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
3 AS's + the welsh bacc, which actually seems to count in a lot of places these days believe it or not! :biggrin: (We're forced to do WB). Not dropping a subject at A2 either
Reply 4
The fact that you got A's in all the core subjects means you can apply for nearly any medical school. Avoid obvious ones such as Birmingham and Oxford that place a big emphasis on A*'s. Now you just need to focus on getting a high UKCAT score to widen your options (although with a lower score you will still stand a fair chance at quite a few universities), working on your personal statement and getting the highest grades you can.

At most medical schools, GCSE's are used to check you meet the minimum requirements and your A2 grades, personal statement and UKCAT score are significantly more important in determining whether you get an interview. Your GCSE's are more than fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Well that is good news! I feel a lot happier after hearing that :smile: This just means I have to keep on going and smash my AS's :biggrin: (Easier said than done) and do well at BMAT/UKCAT (whichever's applicable, maybe both), even though Ive done a paper or two and theyre hella hard :frown: thankyou very much, I feel better now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending