The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ratchit99
Ive been doing some reading for my essay but as im between placements I dont have marking or planning to do (thank god).
Anyone else been accosted by there gp for a flu jab, i went in for something unrelated to that and the doc was like, ah your a teacher your in the recommended group for a flu jab...

The flu jab does not prevent the flu. Every year they say that the manufacturer has not guessed the right strain for it to be effective. Canadian study said the flu jab is not effective for that reason, and actually lowers your immune system by half. Therefore, making you more susceptible to getting ill from any nasty bug that is going around that year.
Original post by Red Lightning
Congratulations!!!! And don't worry, I had a two day primary placement back in September. I had an absolute blast! I got to know the pupils and had a chat with the teachers who were so lovely and supportive, I even was considering teaching primary for a moment as I really loved my time in primary school.

Oh and by the way, I had to shadow one pupil at lunch time as one of my tasks set by my uni. I ended up playing a game of football :-)

Good luck and enjoy yourself, you're not there forever!!

Thanks :smile: We have a week long primary placement later in the year. This is just a weird thing where 5 of the trainees go in together and help to teach a lesson and we've had very little information about it. I'd feel better if I knew what was actually happening.
Just submitted my first assigment :/ hope i manage to pass!!
Missed two uni days last week because I was feeling really rough, and now I'm going to be 40 minutes late for a 4 hour class because traffic exploded and I had to get the train instead.

I have a disability thing in place that allows me to be late but it doesn't really do much for the lecturer/student relationship :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Missed two uni days last week because I was feeling rough, and now I'm going to be 40 minutes late for a 4 hour class because traffic exploded and I had to get the train instead.

I have a disability thing in place that allows me to be late but it doesn't do much for the lecturer/student relationship :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no! That sucks, i hope you got there ok in the end?
If its any consolation ive had a tummy bug for a few days, left uni early on friday and hardly slept last night. Managed to get into my new placement school this morning and attend all our meetings and meet the relevant people etc and then professional mentor and head of my department took sympathy and said to come home this afternoon and rest so that i was 100% for when my timetable starts :frown: still feel rubbish for having done that :frown:
Urk, my placement school has the dreaded 'O' word coming in tomorrow and Wednesday. It seems oddly serene, but I can't say I'm looking forward to it. Hey well - I guess it's something to put on my application forms!
Hmph. Next week at uni was listed as a spare week, and last time that happened we had the week off, so people have booked to go away and stuff. Anyway they've filled it with stuff. It doesn't bother me being in uni and not having the week off but I hate it when it's obvious they don't have anything to actually do next week and are just filling it with useless stuff just so we don't have free time.
Second placement starts tomorrow eeeek I'm goin from excellent all girls school to your average mixed comp...... I don't know how to teach boys!!!! Lol
Original post by Lucy_jucie
Second placement starts tomorrow eeeek I'm goin from excellent all girls school to your average mixed comp...... I don't know how to teach boys!!!! Lol

This has been discussed a bit further up on the page/last page.

Boys are great! There will be some new challenges but if you're prepared for them and able to adapt I hope you enjoy your placement.
Im redoing a presentation today because I failed it first time around because I was ill. I'm worried I'm going to fail it again as I only had about half an hour's sleep last night; ironically because I was worrying about today!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Second day back at uni today and I'm already flailing. No energy and assignments to think about...
BUT I have my induction for a SEN placement tomorrow which I'm excited for as that's the area of teaching I eventually want to go into. :-)
I hate being at uni :/

Today I was sat in a morning seminar and just felt like you do when you're on the edge of tears. I feel really low at the moment and my anxiety is sky high. So I went home. And I'm not going in tomorrow. I don't care anymore.
Original post by gemmam
Im redoing a presentation today because I failed it first time around because I was ill. I'm worried I'm going to fail it again as I only had about half an hour's sleep last night; ironically because I was worrying about today!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did your presentation go?

Original post by Esmeralda4
Second day back at uni today and I'm already flailing. No energy and assignments to think about...
BUT I have my induction for a SEN placement tomorrow which I'm excited for as that's the area of teaching I eventually want to go into. :-)

Original post by Airfairy

Today I was sat in a morning seminar and just felt like you do when you're on the edge of tears. I feel really low at the moment and my anxiety is sky high. So I went home. And I'm not going in tomorrow. I don't care anymore.

Hang in there. January/February are the toughest months because we're still relatively new to this, it's cold outside and we have assignments due. It'll get better soon.
Original post by alabelle
How did your presentation go?

Hang in there. January/February are the toughest months because we're still relatively new to this, it's cold outside and we have assignments due. It'll get better soon.

It went fine thanks, I passed. Luckily it was first thing so I was still awake enough when I did it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alabelle

Thanks! It's nice to get some support from people who actually get why I'm so stressed all the time!! Haha. I'm pushing myself to just keep going now. Got this far and love love love teaching...just want all this uni work out of the way!
On my way into uni to meet my new mentor. I'm super nervous :frown:

Original post by Esmeralda4
Thanks! It's nice to get some support from people who actually get why I'm so stressed all the time!! Haha. I'm pushing myself to just keep going now. Got this far and love love love teaching...just want all this uni work out of the way!

I feel the same way. Missed yesterday because I've developed a weird illness that causes a rash, fatigue and headaches. At least now I know why I've felt so dreadful the past two weeks. I just hate that my mental health collapses when I'm tired and forget to manage things correctly :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy

I do too. How do you feel today? This is the home stretch love. You can do it
:hugs:

I visited my class today. They seem so tiny! But I read them a story and they were hanging on every word :biggrin:
My mentor was absolutely lovely! Really down to earth and awesome and said as long as we're always honest with each other this next placement will be great. The department has a huge community feel and he said I'll love it and they've made us up an office so myself and the other IT trainee have our own space. He was really trying to make life easier rather than harder.

I AM SO EXCITED.

Think I badmouthed my last mentor a little though and now feel awful about it.

Original post by peony flowers
I do too. How do you feel today? This is the home stretch love. You can do it
:hugs:

I visited my class today. They seem so tiny! But I read them a story and they were hanging on every word :biggrin:

I'm so glad your class was good! They are so small aren't they? I worked a little bit with primaries in my last placement and the reception classes were just little dots compared to my already tiny year 7s!
Original post by ParadoxSocks
My mentor was absolutely lovely! Really down to earth and awesome and said as long as we're always honest with each other this next placement will be great. The department has a huge community feel and he said I'll love it and they've made us up an office so myself and the other IT trainee have our own space. He was really trying to make life easier rather than harder.

I AM SO EXCITED.

Think I badmouthed my last mentor a little though and now feel awful about it.

I'm so glad your class was good! They are so small aren't they? I worked a little bit with primaries in my last placement and the reception classes were just little dots compared to my already tiny year 7s!

Your mentor sounds lovely, you must be so delighted! It gives you such a good feeling :smile:

I couldn't believe how tiny they were. And the tiny little chairs and furniture. And they listened!

(feeling strangely broody :eek: :colondollar:.... I hope that gets knocked out of me :tongue:)
Original post by peony flowers
Your mentor sounds lovely, you must be so delighted! It gives you such a good feeling :smile:

I couldn't believe how tiny they were. And the tiny little chairs and furniture. And they listened!

(feeling strangely broody :eek: :colondollar:.... I hope that gets knocked out of me :tongue:)

Wait until you are a parent and go to parents' evening and have to SIT on one of those chairs....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending