The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Hulme/Dalton-Ellis/Woolton Hall experiences?

If anyone lives in any of these halls, please can you answer any or all of these questions?
-what do you think of the facilities and is it well maintained/clean?
-are the toilets/showers/bathrooms in a cubicle format or separate rooms?
-are there launderette facilities and what are the other students like (I.e. if mainly international, do they just stick to their own groups)?
-how big are the rooms?
-do you like living there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Would like to know asap guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Bump
I'm in Dalton-Ellis.

The facilities in Dalton-Ellis are really good, in my opinion. There are two libraries in the halls. The first is in Main Hall and the second in Sunnyside. There is also a computer cluster in Main Hall. It seems well maintained - I often see the housekeepers hoovering and what have you. I don't think it's particularly 'dirty' anyway.

The toilets/showers/bathroom layouts depend on which block you are in. If you are in Main Hall there are around 3 toilets per floor, one shower room (3 showers in separate cubicles) and a large kitchen. However, it is catered so you don't really use it except for making tea/coffee, lol. However, in certain blocks like Graham there is only one shower per corridor. The toilets in Graham and Ewings are in separate, lockable rooms.

There are two laundry rooms - Fiddes and Main Hall. It can be busy on Sundays but you never have to wait too long. Everyone is really friendly. There are a lot of international students but you can easily talk to everyone. I do see a lot of the East Asian students sticking together but they don't seem particularly unsociable, haha. There is also a bar but the JCR decided to get rid of the license so now it can't sell alcohol, LOL.

The biggest rooms are in Main Hall, they're absolutely amazing. However, the other blocks seem to be your typical student prison cell, lol. They are fit for purpose though and there seems to be plenty of storage space.

I love living at Dalton-Ellis. I've made lots of friends and it's got a bus stop right outside which takes you to the university and to the city centre which is a bonus!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by StartingTheParty
I'm in Dalton-Ellis.

The facilities in Dalton-Ellis are really good, in my opinion. There are two libraries in the halls. The first is in Main Hall and the second in Sunnyside. There is also a computer cluster in Main Hall. It seems well maintained - I often see the housekeepers hoovering and what have you. I don't think it's particularly 'dirty' anyway.

The toilets/showers/bathroom layouts depend on which block you are in. If you are in Main Hall there are around 3 toilets per floor, one shower room (3 showers in separate cubicles) and a large kitchen. However, it is catered so you don't really use it except for making tea/coffee, lol. However, in certain blocks like Graham there is only one shower per corridor. The toilets in Graham and Ewings are in separate, lockable rooms.

There are two laundry rooms - Fiddes and Main Hall. It can be busy on Sundays but you never have to wait too long. Everyone is really friendly. There are a lot of international students but you can easily talk to everyone. I do see a lot of the East Asian students sticking together but they don't seem particularly unsociable, haha. There is also a bar but the JCR decided to get rid of the license so now it can't sell alcohol, LOL.

The biggest rooms are in Main Hall, they're absolutely amazing. However, the other blocks seem to be your typical student prison cell, lol. They are fit for purpose though and there seems to be plenty of storage space.

I love living at Dalton-Ellis. I've made lots of friends and it's got a bus stop right outside which takes you to the university and to the city centre which is a bonus!

Hi, thanks, that was really useful! :smile:
I have a few more questions if that's okay:
-so at Dalton Ellis, there aren't any rooms which have both toilet cubicles and showers?
-are the toilets/showers clean and how often are they cleaned?
-how big are the rooms (compared to other halls?)
-if you want to go to uni/nearby shops etc by walk, does it take long (it looks a bit further out than Hulme Hall from Lidl/Tesco/Oxford street on the map)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BP_Tranquility
Hi, thanks, that was really useful! :smile:
I have a few more questions if that's okay:
-so at Dalton Ellis, there aren't any rooms which have both toilet cubicles and showers?
-are the toilets/showers clean and how often are they cleaned?
-if you want to go to uni/nearby shops etc by walk, does it take long (it looks a bit further out than Hulme Hall from Lidl/Tesco/Oxford street on the map)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. There is an ensuite block called Sutherland. These obviously have both toilet and showers inside your room. Other than that, not that I know of.
The toilets and showers have always been clean enough for me. I was really worried about sharing facilities like that but I soon got over it.
They're cleaned at least every 2 days.

It really isn't as far as it looks! I was exactly the same as you, thinking it'd be a lot further. It really isn't. I can walk from here to Oxford Road in less than 5 minutes. It's very well positioned, really.w
Yes. There is an ensuite block called Sutherland. These obviously have both toilet and showers inside your room. Other than that, not that I know of.
The toilets and showers have always been clean enough for me. I was really worried about sharing facilities like that but I soon got over it.
They're cleaned at least every 2 days.

It really isn't as far as it looks! I was exactly the same as you, thinking it'd be a lot further. It really isn't. I can walk from here to Oxford Road in less than 5 minutes. It's very well positioned, really.w

I don't suppose you'd know what Woolton and Hulme Halls are like (and why did you choose Dalton Ellis in particular out of interest )?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! I'm also in Dalton Ellis, StartingTheParty has said it all really. I recently transferred to Dalton Ellis from Owens Park (god knows why I applied there!) and Dalton Ellis is much nicer. I'm in the Fiddes Block, we have 3 toilets, 3 showers and a bath between us, but you never have to wait. They're regularly cleaned (there's even a rota for the cleaners on the door so you know when it's last been done). They're all cubicles, except the bath which is its own separate room within the bathroom.

People are friendly, although because I moved in mid-way through the term, I had to seek people out. Living here has been great (especially compared to the owens park tower) so far, the room size is good, enough room to have at least 2 people sleeping on the floor (yeah I know, it's a weird way to measure a room!).

The shops you mentioned are only a 5ish minute walk away (and it's really well lit between DE and the shops so it's safe at night if you're concerned about that sort of thing). Also, it's only about 15 minutes to walk to the universityalong upper brook street.

I don't know t
oo much about the others, Hulme is just along Oxford Place from us. I’ve been there once to see a friend and it’s similar ,the complex itself is a bit bigger but rooms are a similar size. Hulme has a‘sister’ hall in Burkhardt house, which shares some facilities with it (like library), but Burkhardt is self-catered. Woolton is on Fallowfield so it’s going to be a bit more lively (you may like that kind of thing, you may not). I do remember from when I went to look round the kitchens are rather poky, compared to the Dalton Ellis ones, which are big and even contain cookers! Most kitchens in the catered halls just have a microwave and kettle (and bare in mind you still have to provide your own weekend meals), so that’s another tickfor Dalton Ellis.

Right I know I’ve rambled a bit but feel free to shoot me any questions!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JoeCross95
Hi! I'm also in Dalton Ellis, StartingTheParty has said it all really. I recently transferred to Dalton Ellis from Owens Park (god knows why I applied there!) and Dalton Ellis is much nicer. I'm in the Fiddes Block, we have 3 toilets, 3 showers and a bath between us, but you never have to wait. They're regularly cleaned (there's even a rota for the cleaners on the door so you know when it's last been done). They're all cubicles, except the bath which is its own separate room within the bathroom.

People are friendly, although because I moved in mid-way through the term, I had to seek people out. Living here has been great (especially compared to the owens park tower) so far, the room size is good, enough room to have at least 2 people sleeping on the floor (yeah I know, it's a weird way to measure a room!).

The shops you mentioned are only a 5ish minute walk away (and it's really well lit between DE and the shops so it's safe at night if you're concerned about that sort of thing). Also, it's only about 15 minutes to walk to the universityalong upper brook street.

I don't know t
oo much about the others, Hulme is just along Oxford Place from us. I’ve been there once to see a friend and it’s similar ,the complex itself is a bit bigger but rooms are a similar size. Hulme has a‘sister’ hall in Burkhardt house, which shares some facilities with it (like library), but Burkhardt is self-catered. Woolton is on Fallowfield so it’s going to be a bit more lively (you may like that kind of thing, you may not). I do remember from when I went to look round the kitchens are rather poky, compared to the Dalton Ellis ones, which are big and even contain cookers! Most kitchens in the catered halls just have a microwave and kettle (and bare in mind you still have to provide your own weekend meals), so that’s another tickfor Dalton Ellis.

Right I know I’ve rambled a bit but feel free to shoot me any questions!

No, that's great thanks :smile:
How lively is Dalton Ellis and are all the rooms of a similar standard?
What kind of facilities does the kitchen have and what's the catered food like?
Is there a gym or library ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Also, for someone who doesn't have much experience on cycling on roads, is it safe to cycle to the university from Dalton Ellis/Hulme/Woolton hall?

Posted from TSR Mobile
x

Original post by JoeCross95
x

Hi,
Really quick question but how lively do you find Dalton Ellis (i.e. are there enough events and stuff to keep you entertained/happy) AND is it true that Dalton Ellis is full of mainly rich people or international students who don't mix well (how easy is it to make friends, how friendly is everyone etc?)
Original post by bobbricks
Hi,
Really quick question but how lively do you find Dalton Ellis (i.e. are there enough events and stuff to keep you entertained/happy) AND is it true that Dalton Ellis is full of mainly rich people or international students who don't mix well (how easy is it to make friends, how friendly is everyone etc?)

Dalton-Ellis itself is not raving every night, I have to say. It's what you make of it. A lot of people meet up in their rooms or whatever and put music on, a few drinks. That's nice.

No, that's not true at all. There is a real mix here! :smile:

It's so easy to make friends because everyone else wants to make them too! The first night I met so many people and of them one has become my best friend which is really nice. You meet people all the time though: the dining room encourages you to sit down and talk. Everyone is going to be desperate to make friends so people should and will talk.
Dalton-Ellis itself is not raving every night, I have to say. It's what you make of it. A lot of people meet up in their rooms or whatever and put music on, a few drinks. That's nice.

No, that's not true at all. There is a real mix here! :smile:

It's so easy to make friends because everyone else wants to make them too! The first night I met so many people and of them one has become my best friend which is really nice. You meet people all the time though: the dining room encourages you to sit down and talk. Everyone is going to be desperate to make friends so people should and will talk.

Since we're on the subject, does Dalton Ellis hold specific events every week (like Hulme Hall which has things like pub quiz every week I think) and would you say there's a good mix of international/UK students and boys/girls ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BP_Tranquility
Also, for someone who doesn't have much experience on cycling on roads, is it safe to cycle to the university from Dalton Ellis/Hulme/Woolton hall?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Victoria Park Campus is pretty close to the university, and is conveniently already past the 'curry mile' which is a very busy/badly designed road which is a risky cycle route, even with cycle lanes as a lot of cars/taxis/busses clog up the road which leads to common accidents, almost always minor, however annoying nonetheless. So you don't need to ride on that road to uni.

Once you get to the main road (Oxford Road), which is very close to Hulme Hall especially there is a very wide/well mainted/lit and dedicated cycle path straight to the university which is much safer. I can't think of a hall with a safer cycling route than Hulme Hall, apart from Whitworth as that is essentially on the uni campus.

The dedicated cycle route is between the sort of cross road at the corner of Whitworth Park all the way to the uni campus. Completely off road, with no cars, but also very popular so watch out for other cyclists with proper ligting/gear etc. It's also pretty clear on google maps if you check it out.
I know this thread hasn't been active for a while but I was wondering if anyone had opinions on the twin rooms in Dalton Ellis and st.anselm. is this cost significantly less and how manageable is it in terms of actually living in a twin room? Also, how would you compare Dalton Ellis and st.anselm?
THANK YOU SO MUCH
Original post by satanwithapencil
I know this thread hasn't been active for a while but I was wondering if anyone had opinions on the twin rooms in Dalton Ellis and st.anselm. is this cost significantly less and how manageable is it in terms of actually living in a twin room? Also, how would you compare Dalton Ellis and st.anselm?
THANK YOU SO MUCH

Any update on this? I'm about to apply for accom at Dalton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending