The Student Room Group

French comedian arrested over Facebook Post on Paris Gunman

Scroll to see replies

So it's a bad thing to be anti-Semitic in France, however it is ok to offend the Muslim religion? Double standards much?
Original post by captainslow69
So it's a bad thing to be anti-Semitic in France, however it is ok to offend the Muslim religion? Double standards much?

Being an “apologist for terrorism”, is not the same as being anti-semetic. The French should jail him just as any apologist for terrorism should be jailed.
Original post by dozyrosie
Being an “apologist for terrorism”, is not the same as being anti-semetic. The French should jail him just as any apologist for terrorism should be jailed.

I was never referring to that part of the article. I was actually referring to the part at the bottom in which it said that the French govt banned the comedians shows because they were ''deemed'' anti-Semitic. If insulting Islam is OK (shown by the two Charlie Hebdo magazine covers), then shouldn't anti-Semitism also be OK? Of course anti-semitism or anything like that with any other religion or walk of life is never acceptable and has no place in 21st century society. I am not condoning the fact that his anti-semitic shows should have went ahead, nor am I condoning the comedians ''apologist for terrorism'' action, or the actual Charlie Hebdo killings. All three acts are disgusting and have no place in our society.

I was just simply raising a point that based on the French version of free speech shouldn't, his shows also be allowed to run. Of course I don't mean that they actually should be allowed to happen, but based on the same grounds an argument can be made for it.
Reply 4

The French government are a joke. Can't stand them.
Funny, where are all the defenders of free speech now?
Original post by broscience123
Funny, where are all the defenders of free speech now?

Don't get it mixed up mate, people are inclined to the right of free speech even if it is as offensive this. However the issue here is that the journalists of Charlie Hebdo were not aware of their responsibilities which come with ever right (year 9 citizenship:wink:), which is to not cause offence when stating opinions. The main thing here, is that if Charlie Hebdo not wish to follow their responsibilities then that is their choice. We cannot do anything other than use methods of peaceful dialogue and debate, to remind them of their responsibilities or to debate on whatever issue is present. Acts of murder are never ever acceptable under any circumstances.
Reply 7
What happened to freedom of speech and expression?(not justifiyng it)

Anti-semitism is not equivalent to "offending the Muslim religion".
Original post by ThatPerson
Anti-semitism is not equivalent to "offending the Muslim religion".

Well to be honest I found the cartoon to be deeply offensive, prejudiced and making a mockery of my religion and a tad bit hostile, and I'm sure every muslim around the world would agree. In my books that is equivalent to anti-semitism.

However I do understand your point, as the Jew's have suffered thousands of years of persecution endlessly, so your point is understandable.
Well to be honest I found the cartoon to be deeply offensive, prejudiced and making a mockery of my religion and a tad bit hostile, and I'm sure every muslim around the world would agree. In my books that is equivalent to anti-semitism.

However I do understand your point, as the Jew's have suffered thousands of years of persecution endlessly, so your point is understandable.

The difference I feel is that Charlie Hebdo attacks religious institutions, not people. Muslims being offended is just a byproduct of that; offending them is not the intent. The late editor of Charlie Hebdo freely admitted that he does not expect Muslims to like the cartoons or be amused by them, but society should tolerate them and one certainly should not feel threatened after publishing satire. The magazines style was brutal and offensive, but was not racist and did not target individuals. That is what separates it from anti-semitism, whose only goal is to disenfranchise an entire demographic.

The bottom line is that the rules of the Qu'ran apply only to Muslims; you cannot expect non-muslims to obey them, particularly when they clash with basic modern principles like freedom of expression.
Reply 11
Surely Dieudonné need not worry considering the recent march in Paris. Let's see how far freedom on expression extends in France...
I honestly didn't think the double standards in this entire affair would become so blindingly obvious so quickly...
Muslim or non-muslim. This is blatantly double standards and anyone saying otherwise is stupid.
Hilarious how all the TSR je suis free speech brigade are silent on this. This just confirms that you're not all for free speech as you would be outraged about this too. Its just a joke, like the pictures right? .. Right guys? :K:
Original post by ThatPerson
The difference I feel is that Charlie Hebdo attacks religious institutions, not people. Muslims being offended is just a byproduct of that; offending them is not the intent. The late editor of Charlie Hebdo freely admitted that he does not expect Muslims to like the cartoons or be amused by them, but society should tolerate them and one certainly should not feel threatened after publishing satire. The magazines style was brutal and offensive, but was not racist and did not target individuals. That is what separates it from anti-semitism, whose only goal is to disenfranchise an entire demographic.

The bottom line is that the rules of the Qu'ran apply only to Muslims; you cannot expect non-muslims to obey them, particularly when they clash with basic modern principles like freedom of expression.

I agree 100% with the part that society should tolerate it and nobody should feel threatened was very well said. The part of the rules of the Qu'ran and non-Muslims, I believe I made a similar point earlier that both parties should engage in peaceful dialogue in situations such as Charlie Hebdo and I don't think anyone mentioned that non-muslims are expected to follow the Qu'ran's rules, I certainly didn't. However the part about religious institutions only being targeted, I don't agree with as much, perhaps because of the modern practices of the media particularly U.S. newspaper and television corporations (maybe it's just me but I have that feeling, dont ask why).
Stupid man, only Islam is to be insulted under the guise of freedom speech. He clearly didn't get the memo.
Original post by SophiaLDN
Hilarious how all the TSR je suis free speech brigade are silent on this. This just confirms that you're not all for free speech as you would be outraged about this too. Its just a joke, like the pictures right? .. Right guys? :K:

I know right

All this je suis **** is stupid. France are so critical they're a joke
Thoroughly unpleasant man, but no need for legal action over that remark.
I agree 100% with the part that society should tolerate it and nobody should feel threatened was very well said. The part of the rules of the Qu'ran and non-Muslims, I believe I made a similar point earlier that both parties should engage in peaceful dialogue in situations such as Charlie Hebdo and I don't think anyone mentioned that non-muslims are expected to follow the Qu'ran's rules, I certainly didn't. However the part about religious institutions only being targeted, I don't agree with as much, perhaps because of the modern practices of the media particularly U.S. newspaper and television corporations (maybe it's just me but I have that feeling, dont ask why).

I was alluding to the fact that the Hadiths (iirc) ban the drawing of Mohammed, which is the crux of this whole debate/event. When I mentioned religions being targeted, I was referring specifically to Charlie Hebdo. That said, I think the majority of the British press are tolerant.

I agree that right-wing US conservative media like to attack Islam, but when you've sunk that far into delusion, morality has no rock bottom.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending