The Student Room Group

Need some advice

Hello there. I'm a 21 year old student who is currently studying BTEC Extended Diploma in IT (first year) and so far have had all possible distinctions.

I was planning on applying to a few universities at the end of my course such as University of Birmingham (I had my heart set on this one) Cardiff, maybe kings and possibly Newcastle; I did want Manchester as a second choice from UoB but they already wanted A levels.

I looked online today and UoB have changed their mind about BTEC students for forthcoming years; usually they accept BTEC with grade B in GCSE Maths and Distinction in maths for IT practitioners.However starting 2016 all BTEC students must have either Maths or Computing with grade A at A level (Don't understand the computing part as BTEC IT is like Computing on steroids content wise) and so far a lot of top universities seem to have implemented something similar. So I am stuck with three options and can't decided what to do:

Do I finish this year and try a foundation year (Would really like to avoid this, especially considering my grades), finish this year and apply for A levels or finish both years and go to a university which I don't like at all. :/
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Ask your school/college if they can enter you for suitable A Levels and fast track them so you can sit them. If you are obtaining all distinctions then there should be no problem in them doing this. This happened at my college as loads of us wanted to go to universities where A Level Maths was a requirement.
Reply 2
Original post by Das Auto
Ask your school/college if they can enter you for suitable A Levels and fast track them so you can sit them. If you are obtaining all distinctions then there should be no problem in them doing this. This happened at my college as loads of us wanted to go to universities where A Level Maths was a requirement.

Sounds like a cool idea, I'll speak to them tomorrow about it. The only issue is I currently don't have GCSE Maths (sitting it this year and because of this they will only allow me to do the foundation paper) and the fast track they do offer for maths requires a grade B; think they might help me out and knock it down one?

Thanks for your quick reply.
Reply 3
Original post by cnova
Sounds like a cool idea, I'll speak to them tomorrow about it. The only issue is I currently don't have GCSE Maths (sitting it this year and because of this they will only allow me to do the foundation paper) and the fast track they do offer for maths requires a grade B; think they might help me out and knock it down one?

Thanks for your quick reply.

Make them aware of your current situation and make them aware of the fact you are achieving distinctions currently. Your tutor may be able to help you by giving a recommendation but if this isn't the case then unfortunately you'd have to wait it out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending