The Student Room Group

Spliced and diced - perhaps one day, a little shredded!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ljoshl91
Defnitely doable in a year! I think you're right about the deadlifts though, I haven't had any aggrevation from them whatsoever yet and back feels better the day after them! Might have to race you to the 180 if all keeps going well!

Ab work + deadlifts = more muscle = more defense of spine = less pain.

That's my rationale!

I'll see when I return to training before I make any challenges :tongue:
So went for appointment with consultant yesterday. Meniscus is resolved however I have primary inflammatory arthropathy in my left knee, which is in the same family of rheumatoid arthritis. Being referred on for treatment with a rheumatologist.

Depression has gone wild unsurprisingly

FML I'm 21 ffs, major liver surgery, a BMT and now this ffs

Rant over
(edited 9 years ago)
Sorry to hear mate. Whats the prognosis RE getting back into physical activities?
Original post by ljoshl91
Sorry to hear mate. Whats the prognosis RE getting back into physical activities?

Cheers man

I'm allowed to swim and cycle, probably could go back to what I was doing in the gym last term as well

As for anything else, we'll see what the rheumatologist has to say

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Sorry to hear bad news :frown: hope all goes well.. did not know you had liver surgery though??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Implication
Sorry to hear bad news :frown: hope all goes well.. did not know you had liver surgery though??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had it when I was little, I have no gall bladder or bile duct :smile:
Original post by Angry cucumber
So went for appointment with consultant yesterday. Meniscus is resolved however I have primary inflammatory arthropathy in my left knee, which is in the same family of rheumatoid arthritis. Being referred on for treatment with a rheumatologist.

Depression has gone wild unsurprisingly

FML I'm 21 ffs, major liver surgery, a BMT and now this ffs

Rant over

ah sorry to hear that man
Man that sucks :frown:
You're only 21 yes, but the bright side is that you have plenty of years of physical activity and you WILL recover. Keep your head up. If this sort of thing happens in your late 30's or 40's then that's a recipe for being a useless turd for the rest of your life.
Original post by AreebWithaHat
ah sorry to hear that man

Thanks mate

Original post by silent ninja
Man that sucks :frown:
You're only 21 yes, but the bright side is that you have plenty of years of physical activity and you WILL recover. Keep your head up. If this sort of thing happens in your late 30's or 40's then that's a recipe for being a useless turd for the rest of your life.

Thanks for the support, I appreciate it a lot. My future feels fairly black atm!

Posted from TSR Mobile
:frown:
Bro, you'll recover.

Lift to live, don't live to lift.

You need to realise you could not squat for months and still be happy.

Maybe try Getting aesthetics? Improve other things? Work on conditioning? Swimming etc...
Original post by Motorbiker
Bro, you'll recover.

Lift to live, don't live to lift.

You need to realise you could not squat for months and still be happy.

Maybe try Getting aesthetics? Improve other things? Work on conditioning? Swimming etc...

I haven't squatted in a year :tongue:

Tbh the not lifting, whilst frustrating isn't that bad. Its the possibility of this stopping me from being a vet that pisses me off a whole lot more.

I'll start swimming again soon
If and when I start lifting again, I'll probably lift in a higher rep range than previously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't squatted in a year :tongue:

Tbh the not lifting, whilst frustrating isn't that bad. Its the possibility of this stopping me from being a vet that pisses me off a whole lot more.

I'll start swimming again soon
If and when I start lifting again, I'll probably lift in a higher rep range than previously.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why will it stop you being a vet?

Swimming is great and high reps are where ask the gains are anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
Why will it stop you being a vet?

Swimming is great and high reps are where ask the gains are anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As my knee currently is, if I were to be in practice, life would be very difficult

Also depends on whether this is systemic or local inflammatory processes, whether it can be cured or whether it's going to progress etc.

When I messaged you this morning I was in a pretty down mood. Now I'm up and about and a bit happier, I feel I'm still going to be a vet :smile:
As my knee currently is, if I were to be in practice, life would be very difficult

Also depends on whether this is systemic or local inflammatory processes, whether it can be cured or whether it's going to progress etc.

When I messaged you this morning I was in a pretty down mood. Now I'm up and about and a bit happier, I feel I'm still going to be a vet :smile:

There are doctors and vets in wheelchairs bro, a torn meniscus is nothing - it's likely you'll be able to get back to normal physical activity eventually! There are people out there playing rugby and lifting et al. without any cruciate ligaments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
There are doctors and vets in wheelchairs bro, a torn meniscus is nothing - it's likely you'll be able to get back to normal physical activity eventually! There are people out there playing rugby and lifting et al. without any cruciate ligaments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read above man, it's not my mensicus that's the problem! It's the rheumatoid family condition...
Read above man, it's not my mensicus that's the problem! It's the rheumatoid family condition...

Ah, jesus ****ing christ! Sorry about that my man, such a young age for onset as well...that's a really tough break, but still plenty to be hopeful about. No reason this has to stop you from practising in the future. :smile:
Coach cucumber was coaching today. Theres got to be some qualification i can get for strength coaching. Will research

Squat
60kg 1 x 3
72.5kg 1 x 3
For bants
Stronger than girlfriend still, I could have done 6+

Bench
20kg 1 x 5
40kg 1 x 10
50kg 1 x 10
60kg 1 x 8
70kg 1 x 3
80kg 1 x 3