The Student Room Group

Is meetup.com any good? Anyone with experience?

I'm a member of a few groups in my local area but I haven't actually gone to a meetup yet. I've seen some good ones that have closed down as the organisers just left which was disappointing. I preferably want a decent amount of people to turn up & around my age too.

Also I want the activity to be something that I'd enjoy & it would be good for most people to not know each other as then I'd feel more comfortable although I'm not sure if that'd be the case. I don't even know where some of the places are exactly either but I guess I could meet some great people & have an enjoyable time if I went to one? What do you think? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

No experience of it but it sounds like a good way to meet people :smile:
Reply 2
No experience but good luck! I think you should go for it rather than not go and regret not being more proactive. :yep:
Yes.
Bump.
I've been on meetup.com for around four years and I currently run my own society called the UK Trance Society - Spotted a gap in the market :smile: We currently have over 200 members and it's the best thing ever especially for meeting new people and travelling to trance events all over the UK and across Europe as a group. Before discovering meetup.com I had no friends who shared my same interest and passion for trance music and now I have loads of friends and I continue to meet new people who are into this type of music.

This is my own experience and may not applicable to you as it depends what your interest is really...
(edited 9 years ago)
in for answers

if anyone can guarantee me a quick lay with no burden of a relationship, shoot me a pm
Original post by IcEmAn911
I've been on meetup.com for around four years and I currently run my own society called the UK Trance Society - Spotted a gap in the market :smile: We currently have over 200 members and it's the best thing ever especially for meeting new people and travelling to trance events all over the UK and across Europe as a group. Before discovering meetup.com I had no friends who shared my same interest and passion for trance music and now I have loads of friends and I continue to meet new people who are into this type of music.

This is my own experience and may not applicable to you as it depends what your interest is really...
Cool :smile: However I've been looking at it recently & there seems to be a lot of older people who are members than people my age? :erm:
Original post by Multitalented me
Cool :smile: However I've been looking at it recently & there seems to be a lot of older people who are members than people my age? :erm:

There's people of all ages, ours ranges from 20-65.

There's people of all ages, ours ranges from 20-65. But for us, we all love trance music which is all that matters :smile:
There's people of all ages, ours ranges from 20-65. But for us, we all love trance music which is all that matters :smile:
Yeah but the meetups I'm looking at are not late teens or in their 20s, there is high proportion of older people from my experience so far & it's stuff like going bowling/or going out for a meal/drinks :s-smilie: Then ones which were like 20 somethings closed down as the organizer stepped down & you have to pay an extra meetup fee & stuff :erm: but anyway good for you! :smile:
Yeah but the meetups I'm looking at are not late teens or in their 20s, there is high proportion of older people from my experience so far & it's stuff like going bowling/or going out for a meal/drinks :s-smilie: Then ones which were like 20 somethings closed down as the organizer stepped down & you have to pay an extra meetup fee & stuff :erm: but anyway good for you! :smile:

Well, all I can say is keep digging and hopefully you can find one which will suit your interests. Are you in university? Perhaps that might be better for that sorta thing?
Well, all I can say is keep digging and hopefully you can find one which will suit your interests. Are you in university? Perhaps that might be better for that sorta thing?
I left University as I didn't like my course & had a rubbish social life, now working but no ones asked me to hang out apart from one guy but then when I asked him he always seems to be busy with something, plus I ask people on FB & they either ignore or seem to be busy as well, but yeah I'll just have to keep searching & trying! :smile:
I left University as I didn't like my course & had a rubbish social life, now working but no ones asked me to hang out apart from one guy but then when I asked him he always seems to be busy with something, plus I ask people on FB & they either ignore or seem to be busy as well, but yeah I'll just have to keep searching & trying! :smile:

What about school friends?
What about school friends?
Really didn't have many (if any) friends from school, my best best would be to meet new people tbh.
Really didn't have many (if any) friends from school, my best best would be to meet new people tbh.

Sorry to hear, good luck.

But if you like trance music, feel free to join my group :smile:
Sorry to hear, good luck.

But if you like trance music, feel free to join my group :smile:
Thanks for your concern aha :tongue: Depends how close it is to where I live tbh. I do like music, but mainly pop/rock. My other interests are like Sport/TV/film/playing games/eating out/reading/poetry etc :smile:
Thanks for your concern aha :tongue: Depends how close it is to where I live tbh. I do like music, but mainly pop/rock. My other interests are like Sport/TV/film/playing games/eating out/reading/poetry etc :smile:

Yeah, I know trance isn't everyone's cup of tea :smile: But unfortunately none of my friends from uni/school are into this sort of music so meetup.com has been great for me!

I think what you need is ideally a generic 'town' social group with an active dedicated organiser which could be hard to come by. I've seen groups which have hundreds of members and it's dead with no real push from the organiser and he/she is paying for it! If worse comes to worse, it might be worth setting up your own society?
Yeah, I know trance isn't everyone's cup of tea :smile: But unfortunately none of my friends from uni/school are into this sort of music so meetup.com has been great for me!

I think what you need is ideally a generic 'town' social group with an active dedicated organiser which could be hard to come by. I've seen groups which have hundreds of members and it's dead with no real push from the organiser and he/she is paying for it! If worse comes to worse, it might be worth setting up your own society?
Yeah I totally get what you mean :smile: I volunteered somewhere so hopefully I get that position & meet people my age :tongue: I think I will get there in the end though. Only a lack of confidence has held me back really. The few people I do know say I'm a nice enough guy & I certainly don't think I'm boring either. Just need to keep trying really & not worry so much about negative judgement from others as that will keep on holding me back!
Yeah I totally get what you mean :smile: I volunteered somewhere so hopefully I get that position & meet people my age :tongue: I think I will get there in the end though. Only a lack of confidence has held me back really. The few people I do know say I'm a nice enough guy & I certainly don't think I'm boring either. Just need to keep trying really & not worry so much about negative judgement from others as that will keep on holding me back!

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

To be honest, I don't think meetup is great for trying to meeting young people in their early 20's as most people in that age group may think it's weird and a bit socially unacceptable to meet randomers on such a website lol, unless it's for a particular interest. But I hope you find what you're looking for and my advice would probably be to just work on your existing friendships groups and build on that :smile:

Meetup can be a bit of a minefield as you never know who you're going to meet. I've had experiences of some socially awkward people in my group but we've managed to resolve it with the rules we have in place. But 99% of the people I've met have been great and I'm happy to say that most of them have become close friends of mine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest