The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by themorninglight
The beautiful character of the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه و سلم

One day, a poor man brought a bunch of grapes to the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم as a gift. He was very excited to be able to bring a gift for him.

He placed the grapes beside the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم and said, ‘O Messenger of Allah, please accept this small gift from me’.

He was a poor man who could not afford more. His face beamed with happiness as he offered his small gift. It was evident that he loved the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم a lot.

The Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم thanked him graciously. As the man looked at him expectantly, the Prophet ate one grape.

The Prophet smiled at him. Then the Prophet ate another one.

Slowly the Prophet finished the whole bunch of grapes by himself. He did not offer the grapes to anyone present.

The poor man who brought those grapes was very pleased and left happily.

The companions of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم who were around him were surprised.

Usually the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم shared whatever he got with them. He would offer them whatever he was given and they would eat it together.

He would usually start first, out of respect to the person who had given him the gift, but he would always offer it to others.

This time had been different. Without offering it to anyone, the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم finished the bunch of grapes by himself.

One of the companions asked most respectfully, “O Messenger of Allah! How come you ate all the grapes by yourself and did not offer to any one of us present?”

The Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه و سلم smiled and said, “I ate all the grapes by myself because the grapes were sour.

If I had offered you them, you might have made faces and shown your distaste of the grapes. That would have hurt the feelings of the man.

I thought to myself that it’s better that I eat all of them cheerfully and pleased the poor man. I did not want to hurt the feelings of that man.”

~~~~~~~~~~~

Subhan’Allah.. Such was the beautiful, faultless character of our beloved Prophet, may the peace and blessings of Allah ta'ala be upon him :heart:

Morals:

1) Consideration for the feelings of others.*
2) Graciousness in accepting gifts.

SubhanAllah awww. That is so beautiful.. I love that story.. always makes me smile Alhumdulillah :smile:

Jzk-k for that link! :yy:

Made me smile
Original post by Tennumbers
Guuuuys I got an exam tomorrow.

:biggrin:

Dont worry i will remember you in my duas, good luck for ur exams and smoke all ur papers :smile:

Made me smile

#mademesmile will be the next one trending.
Original post by Incredible97
Dont worry i will remember you in my duas, good luck for ur exams and smoke all ur papers :smile:

Jzk-k! :smile:

Original post by IdeasForLife
#mademesmile will be the next one trending.

That'd be nice :tongue: :biggrin:
Original post by Ibn Fulaan
I'm back to being serious from now on.

No. You can't do that Jeff.

Guuuuys I got an exam tomorrow.

:biggrin:

You'll smash it insha'Allah

I'm not Jeff.

InshaAllah :smile:
Guys I have proposed an interesting hypothetical and was wondering what your response would be.

One day, a poor man brought a bunch of grapes to the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم as a gift. He was very excited to be able to bring a gift for him.

He placed the grapes beside the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم and said, ‘O Messenger of Allah, please accept this small gift from me’.

He was a poor man who could not afford more. His face beamed with happiness as he offered his small gift. It was evident that he loved the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم a lot.

The Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم thanked him graciously. As the man looked at him expectantly, the Prophet ate one grape.

Slowly the Prophet finished the whole bunch of grapes by himself. He did not offer the grapes to anyone present.

The companions of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم who were around him were surprised.

Usually the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم shared whatever he got with them. He would offer them whatever he was given and they would eat it together.

He would usually start first, out of respect to the person who had given him the gift, but he would always offer it to others.

This time had been different. Without offering it to anyone, the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم finished the bunch of grapes by himself.

One of the companions asked most respectfully, “O Messenger of Allah! How come you ate all the grapes by yourself and did not offer to any one of us present?”

The Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه و سلم smiled and said, “I ate all the grapes by myself because the grapes were sour.

If I had offered you them, you might have made faces and shown your distaste of the grapes. That would have hurt the feelings of the man.

I thought to myself that it’s better that I eat all of them cheerfully and pleased the poor man. I did not want to hurt the feelings of that man.”

~~~~~~~~~~~

Subhan’Allah.. Such was the beautiful, faultless character of our beloved Prophet, may the peace and blessings of Allah ta'ala be upon him :heart:

Morals:

Subhan'Allah. This is so beautiful.
Original post by Xenorebrem
Guys I have proposed an interesting hypothetical and was wondering what your response would be.

It's ok, we've all most likely seen it. No need to advertise in our thread.
Original post by Ankabout
AAAAH! Me, TMG, Ash92, Beautifulxxx AND I-Soc are in the running for TSR Community Awards 2014. :eek:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3040459

Member of the year
ThatMuslimGuy

Wonder how that happened (as I wasn't shortlisted last year)... but I am happy. :colondollar: Thanks to whoever nominated me.

Friendliest member
Ankabout

Yesssss! :cool:

Most helpful thread of the year
I-Soc (Islamic society) thread

Mod of the year
ash92:smile:

Debater of the year
ThatMuslimGuy

Oh Beauts. :mmm:

Most controversial member
beautifulxxx

Vote here:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VOTE-TSRCommunityAward2014

That's great! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 672

~~~~~~~~~~~

Morals:

Beautiful SubhanAllah!

Ameen.
From a non-muslim's perspective though:

What if he ate them all because the grapes actually tasted good?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Up quark

Posted from TSR Mobile

We would wonder why a man who was called truthful, even by his enemies, would lie over grapes.
We would wonder why a man who was called truthful, even by his enemies, would lie over grapes.

PRSOM :yy:

~~~~~~~~~~~

Morals:

SubhanAllah - beautiful indeed
:yy:
Reply 677
The whole point of me posting that was the reply which was hilarious. Idc about what Morgan's opinion is :lol:
Also I highly doubt those depictions would have been offensive in any way.

I know...I was just making a separate, but connected, point

(EDIT)

It doesn't matter where truth comes from, whether it's from someone like Piers Morgan or a fellow Muslim. Truth is truth, so it's hypocritical to dismiss it just because it's from someone like him. That's why I mentioned the point that I did. Don't get me wrong, it was funny, and obviously the original point wasn't 100% but there are people out there who'd be all like "you're no scholar" sort of thing when someone who normally doesn't speak on such stuff makes a valid point and that's wrong. Sorry for going all serious and ruining the joke though...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 678
Original post by Up quark

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about all the other times that he (saw) shared food? Why would he (saw) randomly decided to one time not do so?
Original post by Tpos
What about all the other times that he (saw) shared food? Why would he (saw) randomly decided to one time not do so?

Yep, that would seem very strange but I dont know. I guess this depends in what stage of his life he was in, the context, who gave the food etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Has anyone read about the vedas and how the prophet's (saw) coming was predicted? Thoughts on this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending