The Student Room Group

Classics PS

I decided today to study Classics instead of Law. The deadline is unfortunately; tomorrow, so I have been attempting to (with considerable writer's block) write a statement. I was hoping there were examples online but I can only find a few and they look absolutely awful (is that the standard they want?).

Does anyone here know where I can find personal statements for Classics?

Edit: My apologies: Have I posted this in the wrong section?
(edited 9 years ago)
Why such a sudden change?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Atomix330
Why such a sudden change?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I spent most of my time preping for Law procrastinating reading about Classics... with the exception of the financial incentive I have no interest in Law anymore, so I thought why not...
Original post by jakeel1
I spent most of my time preping for Law procrastinating reading about Classics... with the exception of the financial incentive I have no interest in Law anymore, so I thought why not...

Are you sure you're making a rational decision? Last minute changes are generally never a good idea...
Sounds like you are doing it on a whim. Which university? Can you apply to read both? How long have you spent considering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Or read either?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Atomix330
Sounds like you are doing it on a whim. Which university? Can you apply to read both? How long have you spent considering?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kings, Nottingham, Bristol, Durham, St Andrews (ive studied it enough to narrow down my choices).

I decided this afternoon and have been considering it since. It is on a whim, I know that, but I also know I do not want to study Law anymore.
Have you done a personal statement for Law?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Look at the PS building tool linked in my signature :smile:
Hey, I did classics as my first undergrad degree, and my PS was very focused on the subject itself: what I'd enjoyed learning about for my A-Levels, and what background reading I'd done and how that had fed into my love for the subject, any particular aspects of the ancient world I'd found especially interesting, and that they could use to talk about at interview - e.g. political violence in Rome. I also talked a bit about Latin and Greek and why I loved both despite the differences between their structures and syntax (I presume you study them now? Or just Latin? If you study neither, then definitely indicate that you've taken on board the language requirements - e.g. mention your proficiency at other languages you've studied, or times you've been able to pick up languages quickly on holiday, or similar. If the courses you're applying for don't have mandatory language requirements, it's still worth mentioning as you might well be strongly encouraged to learn at least one of the languages at some stage).

Also, re the law thing - it's not at all unusual to undertake the one-year law conversion course after a classics degree, so by studying classics you won't be cutting yourself off from law forever on a whim. Classics is a fantastic pre-law choice for a wide variety of reasons.
Reply 10
Original post by *Interrobang*
Look at the PS building tool linked in my signature :smile:

It was useful thanks.

Original post by Skelebones
Hey, I did classics as my first undergrad degree, and my PS was very focused on the subject itself: what I'd enjoyed learning about for my A-Levels, and what background reading I'd done and how that had fed into my love for the subject, any particular aspects of the ancient world I'd found especially interesting, and that they could use to talk about at interview - e.g. political violence in Rome. I also talked a bit about Latin and Greek and why I loved both despite the differences between their structures and syntax (I presume you study them now? Or just Latin? If you study neither, then definitely indicate that you've taken on board the language requirements - e.g. mention your proficiency at other languages you've studied, or times you've been able to pick up languages quickly on holiday, or similar. If the courses you're applying for don't have mandatory language requirements, it's still worth mentioning as you might well be strongly encouraged to learn at least one of the languages at some stage).

Also, re the law thing - it's not at all unusual to undertake the one-year law conversion course after a classics degree, so by studying classics you won't be cutting yourself off from law forever on a whim. Classics is a fantastic pre-law choice for a wide variety of reasons.

This is exactly what I did. Unfortunately my tutor has (still) not sent my application off yet.
Original post by jakeel1
It was useful thanks.

This is exactly what I did. Unfortunately my tutor has (still) not sent my application off yet.

Has it been sent off now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending