The Student Room Group

Bristol SU banned Charlie Hebdo

[h="1"]Charlie Heb-NO: Bristol SU bans ‘unsafe’ magazine targeted by terrorists[/h]It’s a ‘Safe Space’ issue

Fearful SU apparatchiks have banned copies of Charlie Hebdo from being sold at Bristol University.
Three million copies of the satirical rag are on sale this week, but none of them will be bought on the West Country campus, because it fails the Union’s “Safe Space” policy.
Full Time Officer Alex Bradbrook ruled out selling the landmark issue, which features pictures of the Prophet Mohammed under the headline “All is forgiven.”

Banter caliphate.

It’s unclear whether Bradbrook is using the term “Safe Space” to refer to a safe haven from violence, or to mean an area where people should not be offended.
The Safe Space policy is intended to ensure students are “free from fear of threats, intimidation, harassment and the deliberate, or negligent, creation of unsafe or unwelcoming conditions.”

Scroll to see replies

Craven all the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
Craven all the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So much for freedom of expression tbh.
Original post by clh_hilary
So much for freedom of expression tbh.

Just wondering, what's your opinion on "anti-semetic" cartoons? Do you support the right for them to be created/distributed?
Original post by broscience123
Just wondering, what's your opinion on "anti-semetic" cartoons? Do you support the right for them to be created/distributed?

There are notable differences between an ethnicity or a race and a religion, and I'm sure you have some other people explained to you already.

In the meantime I'll go and do something more meaningful.
Original post by broscience123

Yes I do.
Reply 6
Original post by clh_hilary
There are notable differences between an ethnicity or a race and a religion, and I'm sure you have some other people explained to you already.

so- is a Jewishness an ethnicity or a religion than?
Reply 7
Anything should be allowed to be published. Anything should be allowed to be ignored. People choose to be offended. Nothing offends me at all because I simply refuse to let it.
Student unions. Failing to do anything useful other than become a hiding place for the socially inept.
They are cowards in either case, as Antisthenes says.
Original post by simon_g
so- is a Jewishness an ethnicity or a religion than?

Both. Some people are ethnically Jewish but don't follow the religion, and vice versa.

There are absolutely no problem whatsoever to attack the Jewish religion, but it is very different if you attack the biological features of an ethnicity (the culture can still be criticised - being Chinese is not a religion but features of the culture can still be criticised).
Reply 11
There is no stifling of freedom of speech here. Seriously, learn what freedom of speech means. You can stand for freedom of speech without endorsing everything everyone says. I support the freedom of speech of racists who want to write a racist magazine but it doesn't mean that I want to buy it or my university to distribute it.

Nothing justifies the attacks in Paris. And we should support Charlie Hebdo's right to exist but we also have to right to criticise it. If the Bristol University Union feels that the magazine is offensive and doesn't fit with their ethos, then it is reasonable for them to not distribute it. They're is stopping anybody else from buying it or reading it.

You can condemn the attacks and support freedom of speech and the right of Charlie Hebdo to exist without agreeing with the magazine itself.
Reply 12
brb publishing a magazine with an image of Jesus Christ engaging in coitus with a swastika constructed entirely of malnourished black slaves (which also happens to be on fire) set against a backdrop of orphans being gunned down by a police officer

do you think this magazine should be distributed in my local school?
Original post by gc12847
There is no stifling of freedom of speech here. Seriously, learn what freedom of speech means. You can stand for freedom of speech without endorsing everything everyone says. I support the freedom of speech of racists who want to write a racist magazine but it doesn't mean that I want to buy it or my university to distribute it.

Nothing justifies the attacks in Paris. And we should support Charlie Hebdo's right to exist but we also have to right to criticise it. If the Bristol University Union feels that the magazine is offensive and doesn't fit with their ethos, then it is reasonable for them to not distribute it. They're is stopping anybody else from buying it or reading it.

You can condemn the attacks and support freedom of speech and the right of Charlie Hebdo to exist without agreeing with the magazine itself.

No one is denying that the SU are allowed to do this.

Personally I find the excuse of 'safe spaces' pretty pathetic. The idea that universities should be free of offending or controversial material is ridiculous. This is somewhat similar to SUs becoming 'pro-choice unions' because other views on abortion aren't 'politically correct', or the banning of certain political parties because Muslims students may be offended.
Original post by Kaiju
brb publishing a magazine with an image of Jesus Christ engaging in coitus with a swastika constructed entirely of malnourished black slaves (which also happens to be on fire) set against a backdrop of orphans being gunned down by a police officer

do you think this magazine should be distributed in my local school?
There's no point me posting the image, but look up "nobody was killed because of this picture" on google.
Original post by gc12847

I agree 100%

Posted from TSR Mobile
So what's the threats or intimidation about then? Jesus or Muhammed?
Didn't university used to be a bastion of free-thinking, debate and discussing controversial ideas?
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Didn't university used to be a bastion of free-thinking, debate and discussing controversial ideas?

Those images were merely controversial. They weren't thought provoking, not in any way intellectually stimulating. The same could be said about how people responded to the images and how people responded to the people who responded to those images. I'm not saying these images should be censored but rather why should we pay them so much attention. Reminds me of the Kate Middleton nudes fiasco.
Original post by GorlimtheUnhappy
Those images were merely controversial. They weren't thought provoking, not in any way intellectually stimulating. The same could be said about how people responded to the images and how people responded to the people who responded to those images. I'm not saying these images should be censored but rather why should we pay them so much attention. Reminds me of the Kate Middleton nudes fiasco.

You seriously can't see the debate surrounding Charlie Hebdo and the intellectually stimulating questions within that debate?

Maybe you don't want to pay attention to it, but don't you think university students should be mature enough to decide for themselves what value there is in the publication and the questions raised?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending