The Student Room Group

Oxford Uni Press bans use of pork-related words to avoid offending Muslims and Jews

Scroll to see replies

We must remember that immigration and multiculturalism is a blessing.

I think integration into society by Muslims is inevitable.
It's what happens over time when different types of people live
closely together: they draw from each other's
experiences and eventually become more like each other.

We are a moderate, tolerant country. This is the 21st Century,
where our capital city is now less than 50% white and the most tolerant
and diverse on earth, where gay marriage is not just accepted but
celebrated, and where our greatest Olympic hero (Mo Farah) is a black
Muslim man of Somali background.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Harvey Dent
That's it. I'm going to write a children's book about the Three Little Infidel Pigs and have it bound in bacon. Then there's no way it can possibly offend all the little Muslim boys and girls, because they can't open it!

Lol I hate to say this but I found this pretty funny! :mmm:

Original post by Quantex
Sounds really over the top. How many Muslims are really offended? The Muslims I know seem to have their own set of bacon themed in jokes.

That's true, I dunno where these radical ideas about banning words come from. I'm a Muslim and I have no problem with any of it, most of my friends are non-Muslims and they eat bacon etc right next to me, it doesn't bother me at all because it doesn't mean I have to eat it, nothing's been forced upon me. I know many Muslims and non of them would be offended by words like 'pig', it's like you said, even Muslims joke about these things. I don't see why people get so worked up over such trivial matters.
As a democracy most of the UK laws etc are changed based on majority vote. With less than 10% of the total population being Muslims (with only about 0.0000001 actually wanting to ban the words 'pig' and 'pork') I doubt anything would actually happen in their favour. So no one is in danger of being banned from using any of these words, there's no need for people to get so hyped about it, jeez I thought TSRians were meant to be smart.
I guess there's a huge difference between knowing STEM specs inside out and actually knowing about the real world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Sow this is what the world's come to? It's snout my style. What an oinker of a rule, a real swine came up with this.
I feel special
Original post by democracyforum
where our greatest Olympic hero (Mo Farah) is a black
Muslim man of Somali background.

He's not even that good, more like Meh Farah.
Reply 25
Telegraph said Muslims in the title but not Jews.
Bacon.
I don't think this is worth another thread so I will say it here. The muslims who work at a local pizza shop prepare pizza's with ham. Are they even permitted to do that by the Qu'ran? Or do they have some non-muslim guy squirelled away in the back who touches the pork?
I learned a now term yesterday. Somebody described as an ooob, ( the type of person who is always getting "offended on others behalf" )
I propose changing that to Looob , "Liberal offended on others behalf" since it is all but exclusively people on the left, driven by manical political correctness, that you see doing it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by caravaggio2
"Liberal offended on others behalf" since it is all but exclusively people on the left, driven by manical political correctness, that you see doing it.

this has nothing to do with liberal political correctness. The guy is writing an EFL textbook, the Arab states are the OUP's main-market for these, so "please don't include anything that might encourage the Saudi education board to go with Pearson rather than with us..."
Original post by MyPeople
Telegraph said Muslims in the title but not Jews.

Exactly. I don't see why, considering the fact that I was quoting the Telegraph article, that I must include Jews in the title. I was just reporting what was reported.
Reply 31
"The largest university press in the world has warned its authors not to mention pigs or pork or anything else which could be perceived as pork in their books to avoid offending Muslims and Jews."

What a joke. Any thoughts on that?
Why didn't you mention Jews in the title ?
Yes, its ridiculous. This was my biggest worry all along.

These terrible acts set a terrible precedent - if you say anything bad about islam or something which may be perceived as bad, you'll be killed.

Absolutely terrible.
Reply 34
KUATB. You might enjoy this thread: www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=52933235
Reply 35
Original post by goobypls

It wouldn't let me, there's a word limit. And anyway Jews aren't really THAT bothered about pigs.
well Peppa Pig is ****ed then
why on earth would that offend muslims/jews?

especially since the most of the western world is in love with pork. muslims are sorrounded by pork on a daily basis and make no real fuss.

if true, then the university press are the only retards here.
Original post by clh_hilary
You realise Oxford students don't run Oxford University Press? :rolleyes:

Okay but still we should not be giving air time to these weirdos and their ideas
Original post by goobypls

Because when was the last time Jews shot up a publishing house?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending