The Student Room Group

Lied to the police in a witness statement to protect my boyfriend..?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Simes
They have shops and schools too. Some of them up there even have shoes.

(Although there's not enough trousers to go round.)

:O omg what?
Original post by Anonymous
A couple of weeks ago my boyfriend and his friend were in a fight with a random guy on a night out. Me and another friend then remained with said guy until an ambulance arrived just to check him over.
When they arrived the police came too and asked us about the event and trying to protect my boyfriend we made up two different people etc and said we had no idea who they were.
Police then took my statement the next day and i repeated the scene with the idea that we had no idea who the two guys were who had been in the fight

recently had a call from the police to say they've been looking at CCTV etc so now im worried they will see we did know the people in the fight (as we were in the street talking prior to the event) and the descriptions me and my friend gave weren't accurate

I doubt this whole thing will go to court as no one was seriously injured etc but im worried what will happen to me if the police figure out i lied in my statement, does anyone have an idea?

I know I'm as dull as ditch water but sometimes a night in watching Emerdale is a good alternative.
Original post by Anonymous
A couple of weeks ago my boyfriend and his friend were in a fight with a random guy on a night out. Me and another friend then remained with said guy until an ambulance arrived just to check him over.
When they arrived the police came too and asked us about the event and trying to protect my boyfriend we made up two different people etc and said we had no idea who they were.
Police then took my statement the next day and i repeated the scene with the idea that we had no idea who the two guys were who had been in the fight

recently had a call from the police to say they've been looking at CCTV etc so now im worried they will see we did know the people in the fight (as we were in the street talking prior to the event) and the descriptions me and my friend gave weren't accurate

I doubt this whole thing will go to court as no one was seriously injured etc but im worried what will happen to me if the police figure out i lied in my statement, does anyone have an idea?

I don't get this bit. If this was anything other than your boyfriend and his pal kicking some lad's head in for no reason, why the **** would you stay with this lad who you don't even know?

"Got into a fight" :laugh:
Original post by InnerTemple
That's still a lie. She would still be in the same dilemma.

It's a much easier lie.
Original post by james22
Ignore anybody who says anything other than speak to a lawyer. Nobody here knows what they are talking about, but a lawyer will. They will tell you what to do.

While this is sensible advice, any lawyer would be careful of any advice they give here. Certainly if OP is the lawyer's client, s/he will tell OP to fess up, or will refuse to act for her.
Reply 105
Original post by SiminaM
Awww you'll be rotting in jail together...

This might be inappropriate but...LOL.
Seriously OP, have you no shame? Your boyfriend and his friend beat up another guy, obviously not due to self defence. That's pretty cowardly. In theory it was 4 vs 1, so you guys done ****ed up. You'll get to see how far your love takes you, I guess.

I feel sorry for the other bloke, and usually I don't feel sorry for anyone.
Original post by TurboCretin
While this is sensible advice, any lawyer would be careful of any advice they give here. Certainly if OP is the lawyer's client, s/he will tell OP to fess up, or will refuse to act for her.

Which is why you don't confess, you say what you may be accused of and ask how you should respond to such an accusation.
Original post by SarcasticMel
It's a much easier lie.

No it isn't. The main reason the OP is concerned is because she thinks there is CCTV footage. If this is correct then I am sure it would undermine a "I saw nothing" line.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You are not streetwise at all.
Next time say nothing
Original post by Chlorophile
Do you genuinely think the OP could be serving prison time for this?

no she wont.
dont listen to the scare mongers in this thread
Original post by Ahava
OP, I am kind of disappointed with the reaction you have got from the post, not to mention that probably the majority of these people do not study law, have never studied law, along with practical experience in working with law firms and the CPS itself.

You will not 'rot in jail' and you certainly do not deserve that. You know by now you shouldn't have lied and from this, you have probably learnt your lesson and won't do it again in the future. By posting this, it shows that you are regretful of the entire situation. You even waited with this man until the ambulance came. Many people would have taken off at the run and left him there alone. I hope you aren't taking any of these posts seriously as it will cause you nothing but irrational and useless fear. It was probably a mistake to post this on TSR in the first, as many members like to pretend they're an expert in the field just because they have googled 'what's the law on lying to the police'. There is a lot more to the practice of law to the law in theory.

In future, if you ever get into a situation like this (which I know you won't) don't ask for advice over TSR as some people will stop at nothing to scare you. Instead, obtain legal advice. Legal advice is free of charge and completely confidential. Literally anything you tell them (even involving murder or if you committed the murder yourself) will not be passed on to any other person, whatsoever.

its tsr for you.
since dat neg button got removed the place has been flooded with immature trolls and youngens
Original post by Kitty-meaw
I think you should see the police as soon as possible and tell them the truth (I'm sure they will take pity of you, as you were scared and nervous and thought you were doing the right thing), before things get too out of hand and you end up getting yourself in deep poo and as for your boyfriend, it would also be worse for him. That would also teach him a lesson not to do such thing again, unless of course there was a very good motivation.

Then again it's your decision you are going to have to live up to. :smile:

op dont do this
Original post by Lady Comstock
When the police have CCTV images and witness evidence? Ok...

There is a material difference between the police not seeking permission from the CPS to charge in a matter, perhaps due to lack of evidence gained through enquiries, and the CPS refusing to charge regardless of evidence held by the police. You are not making clear which you are referring to. As you keep quoting your experience with the CPS, you have suggested it is the latter. I am genuinely interest, but if you do not wish to reply then that's you prerogative.

no disrespect but you should quit while you are behind.
Punch ups like this happen on a daily and guess what most of them dont get a charge even when there is cctv and clear evidence.
you think feds have the time to be nicking every tom dick and harry for a drunkard punch up.
Reply 113
Original post by matthewduncan
you think feds have the time to be nicking every tom dick and harry for a drunkard punch up.
'feds'? Who are these 'feds' of whom you speak?
Original post by james22
Which is why you don't confess, you say what you may be accused of and ask how you should respond to such an accusation.

I see - I mistook what you were saying. The issue with this suggestion is that if OP leaves out the fact that she was asked for a witness statement, the lawyer's first question will likely be 'what exactly do you need advice on', and when OP asks what she should say to the police if asked for a statement the lawyer will likely say 'make no comment'. This may not be the most helpful advice when OP has already made comment and needs advice on what to do next, that's all.
no disrespect but you should quit while you are behind.
Punch ups like this happen on a daily and guess what most of them dont get a charge even when there is cctv and clear evidence.

Evidence? Evidence that the CPS with not authorise charge where there is clear evidence, including CCTV, and injuries that have been serious enough to require medical attention at a hospital?

Pretty funny for you to say I should quite while I am "behind", when you've put yourself behind in the debate by making a bold assertion with no evidence to back it up.
op dont do this

??
Reply 117
Lol. Everything you do and say on your computer is recorded by the government.

Everything. Typing stuff you don't even post. The webcam can look at you all the time or anytime and see what you're doing or see your reactions to things you read or watch.

Therefore you have zero anonymity when it comes to any and all computer use. Smartphones, even Linux computers have hardware backdoors if not software ones that allow them to be controlled or monitored.

You really should've asked a lawyer. If the police want to find out that you did something wrong, they will know legally or illegally. At some stage blanket monitoring will be legalised (or has it already been with the "emergency" snooper's charter?) and then the police will be able to prosecute you for things you did prior to legalisation that they knew about illegally but couldn't act upon (because their knowledge was illegal).

I doubt they will go to even a fraction of the length for such a menial case like yours, but my point is that saying anything on the internet or even typing it into a notepad document is dangerous for a criminal, which you technically are.

Ask a solicitor. He will be able to advise best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending