The Student Room Group

Help me :(

I have applied to Enst and Young abroad.
I just recently joined the firm.
My mother says me to change to work in a private firm instead.

I realise how much important it is to add a big 4 to the resume but, I just have 2.5 ~ 3 months experience now.

I srsly do not know what to do. Any advise. Can I get experience from a private firm and then go abroad and join a big 4 again?
Reply 1
Tell your mum to go and get a job for herself if she's that keen.

You have a global brand on your CV. You have done really well to get in there. Stick at it and turn it into a glowing reference, with lots of achievements and LinkedIn connections.

If you leave now, you CV will look as they either you could not stick it, or you were pushed out.

Your mum does not know what she is talking about.
Stay at least 18 months or so if possible. Leaving now will look like you couldn't hack it or they pushed you out.
Reply 3
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Stay at least 18 months or so if possible. Leaving now will look like you couldn't hack it or they pushed you out.

I understand. I have explained my mother about the benefits and my good future if i worked at EY. She realised and is now delighted. She said me to work for it. I said her I'll work for atleast 3 years.
Working for 3 years is good or should i work even more?

Have you applied to EY UK?
Reply 4

i HAVE Applied to EY UK.
Is there anyone who works there?
Is the assessment exam online easy to pass?
if you know anybody who could help me secure a place there..if possible :smile: lemme know :smile:

trustworthy ppl
Reply 5
Original post by Sena5
i HAVE Applied to EY UK.
Is there anyone who works there?
Is the assessment exam online easy to pass?
if you know anybody who could help me secure a place there..if possible :smile: lemme know :smile:

trustworthy ppl

I don't know Ernst young in particular, but I'm sure you'll be fine:smile:

About the working for 3 years thing, you can work for as long as you want - I'd imagine Ernst young will give you a juicy paycheck:wink: I'm not going to retire but that just because I'd get bored.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Andy98
I don't know Ernst young in particular, but I'm sure you'll be fine:smile:

About the working for 3 years thing, you can work for as long as you want - I'd imagine Ernst young will give you a juicy paycheck:wink: I'm not going to retire but that just because I'd get bored.

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey your working at Big 4 as well? Cool
Reply 7
Can those who have no Big 4 experience apply to a Big 4 abroad like in UK?
Cos my bro-in-law wants to go abroad and settle so just wanted to clarify this matter :confused:
Reply 8
Original post by Sena5
hey your working at Big 4 as well? Cool

Haha no, I'm kind of working but not. I don't have a job with any companies, I'm just trying to make it big as a rapper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Andy98
Haha no, I'm kind of working but not. I don't have a job with any companies, I'm just trying to make it big as a rapper

Posted from TSR Mobile

or your on school leaver programme?
you know anyone working at EY UK?
Original post by Sena5
I understand. I have explained my mother about the benefits and my good future if i worked at EY. She realised and is now delighted. She said me to work for it. I said her I'll work for atleast 3 years.
Working for 3 years is good or should i work even more?

Have you applied to EY UK?

It's fine if you're happy and getting what you want out of it, my point was just that jumping out of your first job too quickly doesn't look good and 18 months is a sensible sort of time to stick it out before moving. There's no maximum.

No, I already have a job and wouldn't want to do it at the big four.
Reply 11
It's fine if you're happy and getting what you want out of it, my point was just that jumping out of your first job too quickly doesn't look good and 18 months is a sensible sort of time to stick it out before moving. There's no maximum.

No, I already have a job and wouldn't want to do it at the big four.

That's a good point! I never thought of that :yep:
Thank you..And i'm just 18 years old and the youngest joiner at our EY division
I know i can make so much out of this..it's only my mother doesn't have a clear idea of what it was.
I explained her how everything in the job would be and the future would be great and it would be a great lesson to those who put my family's name down :yep:
I will not give up though my mother says as currently not aware. Once I gain the best out of she will realise but still, i have explained her what and about the job. She likes my job when other uncle's say what a great job i've landed at and relatives from abroad and my bro-in-law says they know Ernst and Young and it is difficult to get into. My mother likes my job already. She's just concerned about me traveling. I only have to adjust saying her not to worry. I am planning to buy a skype mobile where i can see her whilst traveling and chat with her on video call to make her comfortable.

I have to go to EY for a bright future and make my mother a proud and happy mother. I love my mother so much. Many family issues put us down during the past years. I'm sure our future will be great and we would regain our respect! :yep:

And all the ppl who put down our family name will zip their mouths automatically and have nothing to do to interfere with us again.

And when quoting me again to reply for this post alone, edit the quote by erasing my words above and just put an x and give your reply. Pls
(edited 9 years ago)
Moved to careers. Also, just out of interest, what exactly is the "big four" Google gives me three definitions

EDIT: No worries. I googled the company name and found out :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Sena5
@
If working for Mega Corp in one country, and you want to work for Mega Corp in another country, you do NOT do it by applying for Mega Corp jobs in that country. That will seriously annoy your managers.

You do it by working hard, sucking up to the bosses, making them think you will just die if you ever left there, then, ask what you need to do to get a transfer to Mega Corp in your country of choice.

That way you are not leaving and re-joining but confirming your allegiance. They may also pay your transfer costs and pay for regular flights home.
Reply 14
Original post by The_Internet
Moved to careers. Also, just out of interest, what exactly is the "big four" Google gives me three definitions

EDIT: No worries. I googled the company name and found out :biggrin:

big 4 means the 4 big accounting companies.
Ernst and Young
KPMG
PWC
Deloitte
Reply 15
Original post by Sena5
or your on school leaver programme?
you know anyone working at EY UK?

No, just started college.

No, I don't know any accountants.

Quick Reply

Latest