The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by unluckyinlaw1
I contacted Olswang about this and they said that applications are not reviewed chronologically - which seems bizarre, but whatever. Everyone will have head in 2-3 weeks maximum.

Thank you :smile: that is really bizarre! But at least it doesn't necessarily mean we've been rejected....
Reply 1221
Original post by unluckyinlaw1
I contacted Olswang about this and they said that applications are not reviewed chronologically - which seems bizarre, but whatever. Everyone will have head in 2-3 weeks maximum.

That's odd but thanks - we live in hope!
PFO from CMS....
Original post by DonnieCA
Anyone heard from Mishcon or Irwin Mitchell? In previous years IM would of been doing telephone interviews by now but they have a new gad recruiter this year so maybe doing things a bit differently?

Anyone heard either way for both firms?

Thanks

This time last year I had already had my telephone interview with IM, not yet heard anything from them. You may be right about a different process being used- haven't heard of anyone being contacted by them yet!
Reply 1224
Does anyone mind advising me on this Herbert Smith Freehills question?

Please describe your key achievements, and outline your involvement in any extra curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility held. This is also where you can provide details of any scholarships, university awards or prizes.

I suppose I am right in saying I should align my achievements/ECS/responsibility to HSF values/qualities of a commercial lawyer.

But, can/should I include why I am applying for HSF. I have a clear and personal reason which I really want to include as it doesn't ask you anything along the lines of 'why HSF' in previous questions however I don't want to include something that the question doesn't ask for.

Cheers
Congrats to those who got invites to ACs :smile:

Original post by mj43
Does anyone mind advising me on this Herbert Smith Freehills question?

Please describe your key achievements, and outline your involvement in any extra curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility held. This is also where you can provide details of any scholarships, university awards or prizes.

I suppose I am right in saying I should align my achievements/ECS/responsibility to HSF values/qualities of a commercial lawyer.

But, can/should I include why I am applying for HSF. I have a clear and personal reason which I really want to include as it doesn't ask you anything along the lines of 'why HSF' in previous questions however I don't want to include something that the question doesn't ask for.

Cheers

In the words of HSF graduate recruitment: "You can tell when someone has spent a lot of time on their application form. They are able to reflect on their extracurricular experiences, positions of responsibility and key achievements, and take the time to explain the skills and competencies they developed. Someone who can demonstrate a clear motivation for a legal career stands out you’d be surprised how many people send in applications that don’t have a legal focus and haven’t picked out the skills that are transferable to the role."

[Source: https://targetjobs.co.uk/career-sectors/law-solicitors/315333-five-minutes-with-tracy-foot-graduate-recruitment-adviser-at-herbert-smith-freehills]
Original post by J-SP
No harm in asking. They can only say no.

If you are going to ask them at least give them an indication of when would be best for you though.

Thanks!

Quick question.

"Why have you chosen to apply here?" 75 words - There aren't many words to play around, do you think it is suitable to just list in bullet points the main reasons?
Reply 1227
Have I doomed myself aha?

I was just reading over my Freshfields application and I used the spelling practiced instead of practised.

I said 'I have practiced Martial arts for...'
Hey everyone!
I just completed the SJT for Freehills, any idea what the benchmark is, when you hear back and if applying close to the deadline is detrimental to your application?

Love this thread, honest guys thx for all the advice and good luck/congratulations to everyone!
Reply 1229
Original post by ls396

I was just reading over my Freshfields application and I used the spelling practiced instead of practised.

Try not to worry, everyone makes a mistake on their form at one point or another. Unless you've made many mistakes it's unlikely to count against you even with the MC.
Reply 1230
Original post by TrainingChopeful
I wonder if they have us on hold or something? I would of thought for rolling interviews, they would send us a rejection once they have reviewed our application if they are not going to offer us an interview.

Oddly enough I got my invitation to take a test today!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pp93

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations. This was for Olswang right? Can I ask how long your cover letter was?
Original post by ls396

Short answer is that I am not sure. It all depends how many mistakes you've made overall and if your application is good. If you have a pretty impressive application, they might forgive the mistake. However, if it isn't too great, it may work against you.
Reply 1233
Original post by welshforever92
Congratulations. This was for Olswang right? Can I ask how long your cover letter was?

Yeah it was for Olswang. My letter was just over a page but I asked the grad rec lady at our law fair and she said quality over quantity so length doesn't matter too much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ls396

It's technically correct in U.S. English so they potentially won't even care
Original post by pp93

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats :biggrin: I still have not heard....
Reply 1236
How long did it take for HSF to send the situational judgement test after submitting the application?
Hey, has anyone interviewed with CMS Cameron McKenna before or have any good tips for their AC? Not sure what to expect! Thanks :smile:
Original post by ZaraW
How long did it take for HSF to send the situational judgement test after submitting the application?

I applied last year and it was really fast. Maybe 24-48 hours
Reply 1239
Original post by Griffin0007
I applied last year and it was really fast. Maybe 24-48 hours

Ok thanks! I sent off my application yesterday and I'm still waiting for the email to take the test!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending