The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I have no idea but if you're stuck then ring UCAS!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Hey all!
So I am still waiting for my tutor to do my reference, I have been contacting her a lot over the past 2 weeks to remind her as she keeps forgetting and she said she will do it 100% today but I am really worried.

I don't know what to do as I am relying on this to get into uni and if she forgets is that my chances blown?

Reply 82
Original post by ijacub
Hey all!
So I am still waiting for my tutor to do my reference, I have been contacting her a lot over the past 2 weeks to remind her as she keeps forgetting and she said she will do it 100% today but I am really worried.

I don't know what to do as I am relying on this to get into uni and if she forgets is that my chances blown?

:eek: OMG What? :eek:
Last day today - tell her to get a move on
You should really tell her of because it's her responsibility to write a reference and upload it onto UCAS etc.
Disappointed a lot - At this time most people would have received offers from uni's already.
Reply 83
I know, I even went to see her on tuesday and said I need to submit it by 2pm on Thursday (I lied just incase she was gonna do it last minute :P) and she was like I will deffo do it. Rang her yesterday and she was like I'll do in Thursday morning. So stressed! I've put so much effort into my personal statement and making sure my application looks spankin' and it all rests on my tutor :frown:
I think that is really rude of her. Really hope she does it soon, as if this wasn't stressful enough ! Good luck!
Reply 85
Original post by Leanne31
I think that is really rude of her. Really hope she does it soon, as if this wasn't stressful enough ! Good luck!

It's putting me on edge. I've been sat here since 9am refreshing my emails to see if she has done it, logging into UCAS to check! Think I'm going to go mad soon! :frown:
Reply 86
Original post by Joeey
--- UPDATE ---

College is still being an issue, they're so unorganised and i will definitely be putting in some sort of complaint whether or not i get this done before the deadline. Ive called, emailed and all sorts to try and get done what seems to be a 2 minute job.

So my lecturer decided not to reply what so ever yesterday evening, so i was left waiting till this morning for an answer. I was told by him that i was not showing up on his list apparently so now hes decided that this is not his concern and for me to find someone else. Only to make matters worse, my tutor from last year has apparently left this year so no wonder my emails, calls etc have gone unnoticed. I have emailed my 1st year tutor although i remember him telling me that i should use a 2nd year tutor instead. I have asked for any other emails or contact numbers so i am just sat here waiting on that.

You could say that wouldn't it be easier to just go in and sort it out? Well, although its my future and its up to me to sort it out. Why should i have to make the effort to go in, pay for overpriced parking, find a lecturer who isn't busy who is able to write a reference, only to watch them complete it whilst i dont need to do anything. This can be done so easily over the phone or email, yet the college seem to want to go round in circles and make everything dramatic.

Its ridiculous, i think i will also be making a complaint to UCAS about my current situation although i dont think they will be able to do anything about it.

It sucks to hear in that position but making so many complaints is going to do nothing. And the reason why you should put so much effort is because it's your application and your future and the school are just not going to care so if you went in maybe you'd sort it.
Hi all,

I'm applying as an individual, as I'm currently on my gap year, meaning of course that rather than send my application to my college, then they send it to UCAS, I need my reference from them, before I can send off my application at all.

My problem lies however in a colossal mistake on my part. I thought that, when everyone else had their references written last year, so too did I by my tutor then, and that my reference would just be on the system in an archive, ready to be supplied when needed, rather than need to be written out again.

Furthermore, the fact that the reference needed to be completed BEFORE my form was sent off also escaped me in my panicked state concerning my application.

Now I'm at the stage where yesterday I sent off the request to get a reference, and I've also tried to ring and email the relevant person at the college who's providing the reference.

My question though is whether it will be written in time, or whether it's best to abandon it, go for the 'applying without a reference' option, and just try to ring the units I'm planning to apply to and explain the lack of reference on my application?

Unless I'm once again wrong and my reference will somehow be supplied in time, basically, which is the 'least bad' option - applying WITH a reference, but after the equal consideration deadline, or applying WITHOUT a reference, but at least my application is in before the deadline? To me both sound like horrible thoughts and I hate myself for letting it get to this, but does anyone have any advice on my situation?

Thanks in advance...
Original post by Jezza2812

Unless I'm once again wrong and my reference will somehow be supplied in time, basically, which is the 'least bad' option - applying WITH a reference, but after the equal consideration deadline, or applying WITHOUT a reference, but at least my application is in before the deadline? To me both sound like horrible thoughts and I hate myself for letting it get to this, but does anyone have any advice on my situation?

Thanks in advance...

Hi

Unfortunately, it is fairly unlikely your referee will be able to provide you with a reference on time at this stage. If they still have your old reference on file, they may be able to attach this, so I would keep trying to contact them. Once they've attached it, remember, you have to send off your application!

I would say there are some advantages to getting your reference attached. Firstly, if you did get 5 rejections, you would then have a reference to apply with via UCAS Extra or clearing. Secondly, many universities just won't consider an application without any reference at all, whereas if you are applying for a less popular course, they may still give out offers to applicants who applied late. If you already have your grades, you will be in a stronger position.

Also, at this stage, it may not be possible to contact all your universities to ask if it is ok to apply without a reference, and this is normally only allowed for people who genuinely cannot arrange a reference, not someone who's been a bit disorganised. Many universities won't allow it at all.

Neither situation is ideal, but I think applying late is a slightly better option than applying without a reference, having not discussed this with your universities!
Original post by ijacub
It's putting me on edge. I've been sat here since 9am refreshing my emails to see if she has done it, logging into UCAS to check! Think I'm going to go mad soon! :frown:

if nothing has been done go and see your head and inform them, maybe they will take action to more it along for you
Reply 90
Original post by swanseajack1
if nothing has been done go and see your head and inform them, maybe they will take action to more it along for you

My tutor is the 2nd highest member of staff at the college... the other one is never in and is uncontactable :frown:
Original post by ijacub
My tutor is the 2nd highest member of staff at the college... the other one is never in and is uncontactable :frown:

Did you hand in your application before your college's internal deadline? If you did, and it seems like you may not get a reference on time, you ought to ask your tutor, or someone else about the complaints procedure for this.
Reply 92
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Did you hand in your application before your college's internal deadline? If you did, and it seems like you may not get a reference on time, you ought to ask your tutor, or someone else about the complaints procedure for this.

My college doesn't normally give UCAS references (its quite rare) but she has had the link to give my reference for months now
Original post by ijacub
My college doesn't normally give UCAS references (its quite rare) but she has had the link to give my reference for months now

Ah, I see. Does she understand that by not giving you reference ASAP will greatly harm your chances of getting into university?

If she has had several months to write the reference, promised to do so, and not done so, again, I would consider making a complaint against her.

Presumably people from the college ask for references for job applications, and these are normally needed urgently, so she must have experience of this situation. Is she daunted by the fact it is a UCAS reference? Have you shown her the advice for referees? Can you go to college in person and put pressure on her that way?
Reply 94
Original post by ijacub
I know, I even went to see her on tuesday and said I need to submit it by 2pm on Thursday (I lied just incase she was gonna do it last minute :P) and she was like I will deffo do it. Rang her yesterday and she was like I'll do in Thursday morning. So stressed! I've put so much effort into my personal statement and making sure my application looks spankin' and it all rests on my tutor :frown:

Ah I see. I don't see why a teacher would do that - unbelievable :redface:
Don't worry about it :console: and just focus on your exams now and make sure you get the best grades :h:

P.s. Has she done it yet?
Reply 95
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Ah, I see. Does she understand that by not giving you reference ASAP will greatly harm your chances of getting into university?

If she has had several months to write the reference, promised to do so, and not done so, again, I would consider making a complaint against her.

Presumably people from the college ask for references for job applications, and these are normally needed urgently, so she must have experience of this situation. Is she daunted by the fact it is a UCAS reference? Have you shown her the advice for referees? Can you go to college in person and put pressure on her that way?

I did explain to her the great need for one and the great deal the deadline is. I went to see her on Tuesday to remind her and she said she would do it. I'm going to leave it till 2pm today (when i said it needed to be in by) and call her and just beg her for it :frown:
Reply 96
Original post by Mary562
Ah I see. I don't see why a teacher would do that - unbelievable :redface:
Don't worry about it :console: and just focus on your exams now and make sure you get the best grades :h:

P.s. Has she done it yet?

I've just sent her a text and asked if everything was okay so finger crossed
Reply 97
Original post by ijacub
I've just sent her a text and asked if everything was okay so finger crossed

All the best :smile:
Original post by ijacub
I did explain to her the great need for one and the great deal the deadline is. I went to see her on Tuesday to remind her and she said she would do it. I'm going to leave it till 2pm today (when i said it needed to be in by) and call her and just beg her for it :frown:

Good luck. I would explain to her that the website often crashes close to the deadline, so you need some extra time to make sure your application is sent off. I hope she does write it in time!
Reply 99
Would it completly ruin my chances of getting any offers if I submit without a Reference?

Latest

Trending

Trending