The Student Room Group

Gmail in Samsung Galaxy tablet - split screen seems locked, kind of strange

I have a new tablet (Samsung Galaxy S tablet) and I downloaded the Gmail app. On phones, the gmail app only has the left hand menu (showing Inbox, labels, Sent, Outbox, spam, etc) hidden on the left, you can swipe it in our out, but your messages fill the screen.

On the new tablet, it seems to be 'locked' open, eg, swiping has no effect, so now there are two columns, a left-hand one showing all the usual menu items and right-hand one with all the emails.

I don't like this, is there a way to unlock it and make it swipe-able again? I've googled loads and can't find any help, also there doesn't seem to be anything in the Gmail app settings.

Any help gratefully received! :smile:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I have a new tablet (Samsung Galaxy S tablet) and I downloaded the Gmail app. On phones, the gmail app only has the left hand menu (showing Inbox, labels, Sent, Outbox, spam, etc) hidden on the left, you can swipe it in our out, but your messages fill the screen.

On the new tablet, it seems to be 'locked' open, eg, swiping has no effect, so now there are two columns, a left-hand one showing all the usual menu items and right-hand one with all the emails.

I don't like this, is there a way to unlock it and make it swipe-able again? I've googled loads and can't find any help, also there doesn't seem to be anything in the Gmail app settings.

I don't think so............apps are very different on a mobile versus's a tablet. As the mobile version has to deal with the smaller screen, hence the little left hand menu.
Reply 2
Sadly, my dear, I do not know the answer. :frown:

You could just access gmail via the internet browser...

As Iqbal said, tablet apps are built with different interfaces in mind than smartphones. In the casebof email apps, most are built with a two-pane UI in mind so you get full email views without having to keep clicking back to the list.
Oh dear. :sad: I don't like it, I would much sooner have something slideable. I think the problem with it is that the left hand menu is much too wide.

Time for a complaint email to the bulging Gmail complaints address. :teehee:
Original post by Thomas2
Sadly, my dear, I do not know the answer. :frown:

You could just access gmail via the internet browser...

Yes, it's actually better. :five:
Oh dear. :sad: I don't like it, I would much sooner have something slideable. I think the problem with it is that the left hand menu is much too wide.

Time for a complaint email to the bulging Gmail complaints address. :teehee:

Their web page as mentioned before will be your best bet then :erm: if you click your tablet's Menu button while on the page and choose the Add to Home Screen option it will place a shortcut to your tablet's home screen (obviously) so at least you won't have to type the address in or navigate your bookmarks every time you want to check your mail :yep:
I don't seem to be able to do that. The main tablet menu button just displays a list of other apps. The add bookmark menu in Chrome just displays the usual internal Chrome list of bookmark locations. Sigh.
I have a new tablet (Samsung Galaxy S tablet) :smile:

You can fix this issue, but it's quite a technically involved process which will invalidate your device's guarantee and will require lots of learning, research, testing and possibly compromise on your behalf.

If you want some guidance on this, feel free to ask. :smile:
Original post by mikeyd85
You can fix this issue, but it's quite a technically involved process which will invalidate your device's guarantee and will require lots of learning, research, testing and possibly compromise on your behalf.

If you want some guidance on this, feel free to ask. :smile:

:rofl:

Will I also need to email the NSA to let them know I've fiddled with it?
:rofl:

Will I also need to email the NSA to let them know I've fiddled with it?

:lol: It's not that kind of phone hacking :lol:
Original post by mikeyd85
:lol: It's not that kind of phone hacking :lol:

I think it's safer to let them know - they will anyway, but it shows you're an honest person. :yep:
On my Tab PRO 10.1 and my brothers Tab S (same as yours) using in portrait mode gives the behaviour you desire - no dual tile design, just an open/close layout.
Original post by ShivP_98
On my Tab PRO 10.1 and my brothers Tab S (same as yours) using in portrait mode gives the behaviour you desire - no dual tile design, just an open/close layout.

Oh really? You mean, just flipping the tablet 90 degrees? Or is there some setting I can change for the Gmail app?
Oh really? You mean, just flipping the tablet 90 degrees? Or is there some setting I can change for the Gmail ap?

Yes, just make sure screen rotation is on and turn it 90 degrees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending